• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Claymore, Truth, or Evidence?

Best Straight Flying Mid for a Novice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TripleB

Eagle Member
I'm looking for a straight flying midrange, around 174g-176g, to finish out my bag. I'm hoping it will compliment my 171g understable Manta and my 169g overstable Roc.

I thought my choice would be the Mako3 or the Buzzz. I had a chance to hold both yesterday and neither one felt very good in the hand...a bit awkward for my larger hand (although that seems to be a trend with mids for me so I think it's something I'll have to get used to, but both of these models seemed worse than my Roc or my Manta)

So I've narrowed it down to either the Latitude 64 Claymore, Dynamic Discs Truth, or the Dynamic Discs Evidence. Had a chance to hold the Truth (it felt better than the Mako3 or the Buzzz) but couldn't find the other two locally.

Which is the best choice for a novice?

TripleB

I voted Evidence, but any of these would be fine. I bag an Evidence and an EMac Truth. My original Truth is very close to my Evidence.

The Truth is not exactly a 'straight flyer'.

I've owned 4. All of them had very good, reliable fade. The one I bag though has VERY strong fade, more than a 180g Champion Roc3.

In the initial portion of their flight, they're straight (when thrown at the proper speed), but that's the norm.

You're not going to see a huge difference between the Truth and the Roc. In fact, a Truth in Lucid plastic will feel about the same as a Roc in DX plastic, with maybe a touch of wear. There is a CHANCE that if you got a Truth in a lighter (maybe mid 160s weight) in Prime, it will be a more mellow flyer. This is speculation, as I've never thrown a Prime Truth. All mine have been Lucid, near max weight.

I think you're doing yourself a huge disservice of skipping over the Mako3 for this slot. Any initial discomfort with the disc is greatly outweighed by its utility.

Sorry I can't comment on the other molds. I've never thrown them.

You're going to be an Ace member before you have played a dozen rounds

So?

Furthermore to the point, TripleB is asking questions to get information, and he gets attacked for it? What's even the point of the board if the guy can't ask for information? Sheesh.

And why is "Ace Member" such a holy grail? 500 posts or 2000... so what? It's not like it's a special achievement or anything...

I'm looking for a straight flying midrange, around 174g-176g, to finish out my bag. I'm hoping it will compliment my 171g understable Manta and my 169g overstable Roc.

I thought my choice would be the Mako3 or the Buzzz. I had a chance to hold both yesterday and neither one felt very good in the hand...a bit awkward for my larger hand (although that seems to be a trend with mids for me so I think it's something I'll have to get used to, but both of these models seemed worse than my Roc or my Manta)

So I've narrowed it down to either the Latitude 64 Claymore, Dynamic Discs Truth, or the Dynamic Discs Evidence. Had a chance to hold the Truth (it felt better than the Mako3 or the Buzzz) but couldn't find the other two locally.

Which is the best choice for a novice?

TripleB

Well... The Buzzz and the Mako3, especially the Mako3, are more comfortable in my paws than the Roc, though the Roc and Roc3 are great discs.

So as much as I hate to say this ( :popcorn: ), if you like the Roc feel, you'll probably like the Comet feel, and you can get a Comet and be the toast of DCGR (;)).

Seriously, just go with comfort for YOU, learn and practice with the disc, and have fun. :thmbup:

So?

Furthermore to the point, TripleB is asking questions to get information, and he gets attacked for it? What's even the point of the board if the guy can't ask for information? Sheesh.

And why is "Ace Member" such a holy grail? 500 posts or 2000... so what? It's not like it's a special achievement or anything...

:popcorn::wall::popcorn::p

So?

Many have already advised multiple times on working on proper form and consistency. TripleB has admitted to inconsistency and poor distance throws, and also said at some point that working on form was a goal, but the evidence (how many posts does TripleB have on discs/equipment vs. posts asking for technique/form help) points otherwise. At a certain point, merely paying lip service to solid advice becomes more than annoying; it becomes insulting to those who have taken time to give thoughtful advice. Further questions on the same subject are like further insults, and can be seen as spamming the board with the same old questions that have already been answered.

Asking for information is fine, but asking so many questions that have the same answer gets annoying. It's like TripleB isn't even listening unless the answer is to buy another disc.

It goes right back to "it's the archer, not the arrow." Some people work on their game; others just keep buying more plastic trying to buy their game.

It makes me think of novice lifters wanting bench press advice: what kind of barbell to use, what wrist wraps to get, what elbow sleeves are good, what kind of bench shirt is best, what height/width of bench is best, whether Mark Bell's Slingshot works, etc. Then they buy all this equipment, but it is useless because they can't even do a set of 20 pushups correctly.

TripleB, it's great that you are excited and enthusiastic about disc golf. Also really cool how you've gotten your kid playing with you despite his non-athletic nature. Honestly, great to have you aboard and hear your stories about your rounds. Those early disc golf experiences (first par, first birdie, first good round, etc.) are good stuff.

But if you had thrown your 169g Roc once on the course for each post you have accumulated in the last month, you already would have a straight flying mid and would simply be shopping for a new Roc to cover the overstable slot. You would have built a comfort level with a mold and learned a good deal about it. You would be well on your way to having an understable, straight/stable, and overstable disc, all of the same comfortable mold with which you have on-course experience.

The answer once again to your question is to throw more. Especially if you are still averaging only 175' with your Pure. Once again, I advise/challenge you not to buy another disc until you get at least 225' with your Pure on flat ground.

I vote either Fuse or Comet.

As has been noted, the Truth is probably not going to be straight for your arm speed. Evidence might work. I've only thrown Prime Evidences. Prime discs are all super flat and often start out more overstable than other plastics (but also beat in very quickly because it's not durable plastic). So I don't think I can speak to the Claymore or the Evidence really, but I've got experience with Fuses and Comets which are both great in this role.

Hard not to go with a Truth in my mind (I bag one as well as an Emac Truth). But the staple for straightness is the Mako3. I agree it doesn't feel the best in hand but nothing flies like it. I am about to find one to bag after being without for a while as I always find myself in situations where it would shine. Maybe my Fuzion Truth will eventually get there with wear as it is as long as a Mako3 but I see it loosing some HSS before all the LSS is gone. Mako3 really keeps a lot of HSS while starting out with almost no LSS finishing straighter than almost anything.

Claymore is really noob friendly, glides well, and is decidedly understable but predictable. The Evidence is dead straight when new and breaks into a nice hyzer flip mid, has good glide, slightly faster flight. The Truth is the most overstable but kind of flies like a Core while feeling more like a Buzzz. It has decent HSS and decent LSS but isn't stout in any category so it's easy to throw on straightish S-curves but not great on hard left or right shots.

I really like all three of these but I split the difference and voted Evidence.