• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clever Event Formats (with equally clever names)

Love the mystery disc idea! I had a similar idea for an event called "Record Breakers" where I'd go stock up on Goodwill LPs and give each player 3 or so, with the goal being not only to throw and hole out with them, but keep them intact for the whole round...once your records are broken, you're out, so it's kind of an elimination thing. I never got further than that in the planning department, though. :|

The year they did records at the Mystery Madness you had to play the largest piece of the record as it broke into pieces.

The ice cream tops was a fun round too.

Lumberton's Aces High Deuces Wild. Two 2 Disc Ace race morning rounds with your choice of discs followed by 6-6-6(best-alt-tough) random dubs in the afternoon.

our halloween event is the "666 tournament"
doubles play where you play the first six holes as best shot,second six as alternate shot and last six is best score
. we mix it up for the second round.
we also add extra halloween obstacles and "special" O.B. for the event.
pictures here: www.centraliadiscgolf.com

I have played in a "666" that was best shot, alternate shot, and worst shot. It was brutal, in the worst shot, both players had to hole out in order for the shot to count, not just one person like in tough shot. It was a bring your own partner, so you could practice together for the alternate shot beforehand.

We just had a Tur-Disc-in Turdition tournament that included dinner after the round plus an evening at a hot springs and dancing afterwards. (You could pay for just the dinner, hot springs and dancing. So those spouses who don't play could join in the fun afterwards.)

We also have a winter wizards tournament every year. Played with just a wizard that you receive as part of your players pack. The course is set up with extra holes set up in a tight and technical layout. This is one of the most highly anticipated tournaments of the year. It's played in February or March and there is almost always snow on the ground. Typically caps out around 120 people and always fills. Needless to say there are lots of players around here who use the wizard as their go to putter.

One that I saw on here in the past that seemed very fun was the "One and Done" tourney. You get one disc for the whole match and if you lose it, you're out. Would be nice not carrying around a big ass bag or having to think about what to throw.

I will be running an event this year called the Tully Three disc Throwdown where you can only use three discs for the whole round and if you lose one you cant replace it

We just had a Tur-Disc-in Turdition tournament that included dinner after the round plus an evening at a hot springs and dancing afterwards. (You could pay for just the dinner, hot springs and dancing. So those spouses who don't play could join in the fun afterwards.)

We also have a winter wizards tournament every year. Played with just a wizard that you receive as part of your players pack. The course is set up with extra holes set up in a tight and technical layout. This is one of the most highly anticipated tournaments of the year. It's played in February or March and there is almost always snow on the ground. Typically caps out around 120 people and always fills. Needless to say there are lots of players around here who use the wizard as their go to putter.

Holy crap! If I ever move home to Kaysville, I'm finding you. This sounds like a blast.

This past summer I held a Triple Team Tourney. Three player teams. Two throw from each lie...whomevers shot you take doesn't throw from that spot. We had 25 teams for our first time with the event and if was held at a course way out in the middle of nowhere. Most players seemed to enjoy the formats.

I have played in a "666" that was best shot, alternate shot, and worst shot. It was brutal, in the worst shot, both players had to hole out in order for the shot to count, not just one person like in tough shot. It was a bring your own partner, so you could practice together for the alternate shot beforehand.

I say tough but It was worst inside the circle. So if you had an ace or a throw in it would count. Gave you that chance to do something spectacular

someone mentioned it on here, and I'm toying with trying to set it up here, but a buzzz vs roc showdown. Player pack you get one or the other, and you can only use buzzz's or roc's for the entire round