• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cliffs (Uphill)

And don't forget about #18 on Granite Ridge at Highbridge.

650ft. Uphill all the way.

0ae9750a.jpg

Dover, Ohio's Deis Hill park #15. even from the short red tees, (210') hole #15 is a beast to get up (let alone walk up). from the white tees it's 471' and you'll have the blues after you play the blue tee at Deis Hill as it's 554' of uphill madness. And to add to the madness from both the White and Blue tees the player has to tee their drive to the area of the red tee and shoot up the very steep hill. If you don't place your drive correctly from the white or Blue add several more strokes to your score and apply calomine lotion to your legs as the woods is just full of poison ivy.

Most of the courses that I play on are flat:( There was a course in Michigan, Kandahar, that had some wicked elevation changes. It was built on an old ski hill. Sadly it was only in the ground for about a year, as I recall, then bought by a developer, and turned into a subdivision?

I would love to play on some of those awesome mountain courses!

^A few people have mentioned Diamond X, but I have to politely disagree that this is what the OP is looking for. There are many uphill shots there, and many cliffs, but no shots up a cliff.

Ill mention again that hole 4 at Hart Park in Bakersfield is the quintessential example of what you are looking for. It's unfortunate that Bakersfield has not discovered the internet yet and all of the course updating there comes from Los Angeles residents.

Danger, There are two members of this site who are from Bako, Thanks and we have discovered the internet.(I'm just not a DG net junkie) oh and I play all the time in LA and very few persons from LA are on this site sharing thier infinite knowledge of noobism.
On the media page for The STM course there is a picture of hole# 12 which is similar to hole 4. Hole 4 has a vertical wall; whereas hole 12 has a slope on each side(We call hole 12 The "Spine Hole") Same distance 175' with the same uphill elevation. Also there's a vid of hole four on youtube.

Last edited:
Hole 12 is not what the OP is looking for.
This thread is officially annoying.

A few people have mentioned Diamond X, but I have to politely disagree that this is what the OP is looking for. There are many uphill shots there, and many cliffs, but no shots up a cliff.
QUOTE]

I think throwing up a cliff is a formidable fun challenge....as long as there is some type of fair landing area partway up or the cliff top is reachable and offers a flat area to land......nothing spells gimmick more than repeatedly throwing up and then rolling down a cliff.......seen many disasters on cliff type holes that were caused more by bad luck rolls and not poor execution.

I do distinctly remember throwing up cliff at Diamond X
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media....89&mode=media#

look at 5,8,9 and 27 not sure what course u were playing but it wasnt diamond x if you didnt throw up cliff

This is what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about a hole for a new design I'm working on where the player tees at the base of a steep/vertical to overhanging cliff and throws to the top. Probably 40-50 feet up then back away from the cliff at least 40 feet. Then the player has to walk around to a trail that leads up to the top. The basket would be out-of-sight from the tee. Any one interested?

Thanks for the replies, and the pics of all the cool downhill shots :wall:.

It looks doubtful that I'll get to incorporate the cool cliff in my design, there's just no way to get to the bottom without upsetting the flow of the design (bummer). I'm not a huge fan of really long walks between holes, especially if it involves a dangerous trek. Hole #16 in the new design will play towards the top of this cliff, and on the short walk to #17 TEE players will have the opportunity to walk to the edge for a scenic view (no handrails so use caution!) of the river. Maybe we will even get some rain in the future so there might even be some water flowing.

I'm going to propose a second course (a shorter, easier, PAR 3 type course) for the area that could possibly work it's way to the base of this cliff, and have a hole or 2 along the bottom.

Stay tuned for workday dates and grand opening ceremonies:thmbup:.

#10 at Jordan Creek and #4 at Carousel are definitely the steepest I've dealt with. I suppose if you count lies from bad shots, throwing off the back of #7c at Tyler State Park and having to play back up to the pin could count. I felt bad for the last person that I saw dealing with that.

This is hole #1 at the Quake: the guy in the video is laying 3 (throwing 4). His drive landed pretty darn close to where he is throwing 4 from, his 2nd shot did not make the top of the hill and the disc unfortunately happened to land on its top... and slide all they way back to the teepad. :wall:

Anyway, yeah, the video gives a little better idea of how steep the hole actually is - pictures do not do it justice.

Last edited:
Heritage Point in Dalton, GA has some steep uphill shots. I wouldn't call them cliffs though except on other holes if you overthrow it is a cliff back up. I couldn't find any good pictures for you.

Latest posts