• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clothing, Shoes, & Personal Hygiene

Stud Muffin

Banned
Ok, I embarrassed to share this story, but better to learn from a mistake than to keep repeating it, and learn if at all possible.

I want to start that I am a person who takes daily showers. I am not a 'pretty boy' who spends hours primping, but I take care of myself. I work outside, so sweat and heat are something that is not new to me.

The game of disc golf has been good to me, I have so much more energy to do things now. I used to drink a lot of energy drinks, but now I don't need them, I feel quite hyper most of the time naturally now, lol.

But there have been some unusual side effects that are most unpleasant.

I will start by saying, I took a shower the night before. Next morning, I go play some disc golf. I meet a cool fellow disc golfer. We play a bit, and it was hole 11 that he asked me, seriously asked me, if I was a naturalist [you know, the kind that does not shower]. It was highly embarrassing, and sadly, he was asking a legit question because 1 whiff of myself was cringing.

Safe to say, I got home and showered thoroughly. Next day, after just a few holes, I noticed it was getting bad again. So I switched from a cheap body wash to a bar soap, and from a spray deodorant to a stick. Next day, same problem. :wall:

Of course, there are factors like the extreme heat, and my body adjusting to my new sport, where I am sweating and drinking so much more water than before. Also, I do not mind sweating and stinking, but this is just so extreme it is just embarrassing :( :thmbdown:

Well, I was just trying to ...ignore it... but today I played in a course get together tournament, no big deal, but let me say, I was embarrassed once it kicked in, and it was almost immediately, because it was hot and I was nervous.

So I had enough, and I am asking for help.

I went to the local store and got what seemed to be the most active stuff they had, which was Right Guard Total Defense 5, both the body wash and the the stick deodorant. Also, I remember being told, do not know the truth to it, that cologne is best used in places where the body heats up the most, and mixes with your own smell, which is why the same cologne can smell different on different people. So I bought cologne, Mambo Cologne for Men by Liz Claiborne, and hope that also helps.

Also, I saw shirts that are supposed to be microfiber and helps with body odor, is that for real?

And shoes...
Mine are outside... they are not allowed to come inside...wow. Please help, what can I possibly do for shoes?

Supplement with some vitamin e, it helped me. I use to get pretty musky and hated it, I am a pretty clean person, i shower in the morning and after an evening round every day but it wasn't enough before. I use 24 hour roll on sport deodorant from Avon use dial sport bar soap and sometimes a body spray but the vitamin e was what got me normal.

Have you just started experiencing this problem, or did it get a lot worse all of a sudden? :confused:

What, may I ask, is your diet like?

Sometimes diets high in processed/junk food can cause odors to be worse than, say, a more natural (i.e., raw fruit and veggies, whole grains, etc.) diet might. Also, things like garlic, if eaten in large amounts can cause an odor.

Other than that, yeah, the moisture wicking "dry fit" clothing seems to help from what I've heard from numerous people.

As far as covering it up:

Mitchum deodorant.
La Coste 'essential' cologne is mega-non offensive.

I normally like to shower using AXE body wash, but if I am going to be in a tournament, or around a lot of people , and sweating, I have found that this stuff works really good. When I get hot and sweaty, I can smell pretty ripe, and this stuff really works. They sell this just about everywhere.

http://www.dialsoap.com/3D-body-wash.html

Yeah, check your diet. Consume anything that takes toxins out of your body, like green tea.

Have you just started experiencing this problem, or did it get a lot worse all of a sudden? :confused:

Sometimes diets high in processed/junk food can cause odors to be worse than, say, a more natural (i.e., raw fruit and veggies, whole grains, etc.) diet might. Also, things like garlic, if eaten in large amounts can cause an odor.

Other than that, yeah, the moisture wicking "dry fit" clothing seems to help from what I've heard from numerous people.

Well, whenever I go out and work and sweat, I would always stink, but this really started getting really bad all of a sudden.

My diet is mostly fast food. [just being honest] I am single, and I find it WAY cheaper and easier to eat out than to cook at home. I am sure this could be a culprit, but really, its not like i just started eating fast food, my diet has been consistent. If I have recently been eating a lot more of something different lately, it has been sushi and shellfish.

I figured the b.o. jump was more due to my increase in physical activity, and increase of sweating due to the heat.

Misconception: It's almost never cheaper to eat out then cook at home (unless you're dumpster diving). /preaching

I can get stinky feet myself, the easy thing to do is just kick off your shoes and socks whenever you don't need them. Plus, the more you walk barefoot, the healthier your feet get. With the BO, I'd make sure you're getting your deadskin cells off enough when you bathe, get one of those sponge things that scrape you a bit.

Check out that link to the soap that I posted.

Also, try this:
darktemptation.jpg

This one-two punch, will make you smell better, and get you a date :)

I use this a few times a week to really scub off the dead skin, and feel like new again. It does scrub pretty good, so you only want to use this a few times a week, but it works great.

axesnakepeel.jpg

water, green vegetables, vitamin e, omega 3 supplement (fish oil)

More water.

Water.

vinegar to soak your feet in a couple times.

Desenex foot powder inside your shoes (you most likely have athletes foot, this and the vinegar will tear that up) Use the Desenex in every pair of shoes you own, and on your feet, every time you put on shoes. Maybe go through a couple bottles, and vinegar your feet and if you get any itch in your pants (ahem) same deal. (DON'T SOAK YOUR SKIN IN VINEGAR TOO LONG)

Sadly, this may be the most sense you read here in days.

As far as covering it up:

Mitchum deodorant.

It works for my dad. :|

My diet is mostly fast food. [just being honest] I am single, and I find it WAY cheaper and easier to eat out than to cook at home. I am sure this could be a culprit, but really, its not like i just started eating fast food, my diet has been consistent. If I have recently been eating a lot more of something different lately, it has been sushi and shellfish.

I have not knowingly consumed canned Tuna :)rolleyes:) after I watched this movie, but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying spicy tuna rolls. Fresh fish FTW!

I tried vinegar for my sweaty-stink feet. It didn't work at all. Treat your feet like it's any other sport- let them breathe, dont put on your disc shoes until you are about to play, take off your disc shoes and socks as soon as you are done playing. Same for sweaty shirts- leave a clean tshirt in your car to put on for the ride home. As far as the BO is concerned, I use Dove for men antiperspirant and it works great. Irish Spring, Zest, and Lava are all good for keeping you fresh. Lava is a good exfoliant too.
Diet is a big factor. The only "fast food" I eat is Moe's and Chick-fil-a. Everything else is pretty much pure ****/poison for your body. Garlic will make your aroma more robust, but I feel that it helps to repel ticks and other bugs, so it's a trade off. I eat a lot of garlic. Take a good multivitamin. Drink more tea and other stuff with natural antioxidants and not so much sugar. Strictly water on the course though.
Or, you could go the other way with it. Get good and drunk before playing, smoke some stinky weed on the course, and quit caring about smelling like a Mexican's ass.

A cheap easy fix is to tape (and tape it well) a dryer sheet to the inside of your shirt. Just make sure it is not a gurly gurl type of scented dryer sheet. This will also help repel bugs.
Speaking off bugs, keep a can of bug spray in your bag and when you feel that maybe the dryer sheet is not keeping your odor under control you can discreetly spray the bug spray. and it will help repel your odors.
So there you have it, a smell good fix that repels bugs and a bug repellant that masks your smells.
One comment though, many props to you for putting your problem out there, most likely there are others that have the same issue and don't have the nerve to seek help from a forum like this.

From Google:
-Body odor is a combination of sweat and bacteria. Sweat is actually odorless; it is bacteria that live off perspiration on our body that create the bad smell. (scrub that skin)
-Some bacteria on our body feed off sweat. Once they consume the sweat, they do what any living creature on earth does: they defecate Yup, you guessed it; B.O. is the smell of bacteria excrement
-The main reason why people stink is that some don't bathe enough! But good hygiene doesn't stop at washing your body; it also includes washing clothes. Certain fabrics, like cotton, easily absorb bad odors
-Eating certain foods can also affect how you smell
-Zinc deficiency can impart B.O. because it regulates detoxification in the body; it controls how the body handles waste. Likewise, a sugar imbalance and caffeine can alter the amount and type of perspiration
-Some odors may indicate health problems. People who smell like nail polish can have diabetes and an ammonia smell is a sign of liver disease.