• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Club Bag Tag Etiquette Question

I'd trade it with the highest number they had. Sharpie on a #1 and have my card mates from the round sign it. Nice keepsake/memory without cramping on that particular scene.

I've started "course tags" for my course. Each tag has a picture of the hole with no number on it. The players who are committed to playing regularly get these tags. I don't charge for them, but expect them to be competed for at least twice a month. I live in the sticks and there aren't a lot of local players so this works well. I also have on hand a few generic course tags for travelers who may want them. These have a collage of several holes on them. If I run out I order more. Good keepsake from a course.

Take the tag home.

Post pics of it weekly on FB in different settings. "Here I am with the tag at the Statue of Liberty, here we are at the Grand Canyon", etc.

At the end of one year of doing this, post a video of the burning of the tag in some sort of cult ritual.

Attend the same tournament the following year wearing a disguise. Win the tag again. Repeat process.

We deal with a fair amount of this.

Next year we are doing "visitor tags" for those who are not likely coming back every week but still played awesome. If you let tags get out of control you'll never see any of them again.

The more this discussion goes on the more it looks like we are putting the cart before the horse. The real issue here - to me anyways - what are the rules of the league? In our league the higher numbered tag challenges the lower numbered tag and if the lower numbered tag cannot meet in the area within a week then they have to forfeit their tag. We've defined what it means to be 'in the area' so people know what to expect. We're arguing over ethics but without knowing the league rules all of this discussion is moot IMHO. Well thought out and well written league rules will address situations like this.

Just because there may be no formal rules, or not technically breaking the rules doesn't mean taking a top 20 tag out of the game isn't a disrespectful dick move.
There are a lot of instances in life, sometimes daily, where you can choose to be a dick or not be a dick and very very few of those decisions have anything to do with formal rules or laws.

Just because there may be no formal rules, or not technically breaking the rules doesn't mean taking a top 20 tag out of the game isn't a disrespectful dick move.
There are a lot of instances in life, sometimes daily, where you can choose to be a dick or not be a dick and very very few of those decisions have anything to do with formal rules or laws.

Not clarifying the expectations and rules of a league is also a dick move imho. It's pretty easy to come up with that stuff really so there isn't a good reason not to have it. The reality is, unless you enjoy misunderstandings and conflicts a good set of rules is essential and there is nothing wrong with that. Most of the conflicts I see brought up here and elsewhere in leagues or tournaments are not because of someone being a "dick" but because rules or standards were not clearly spelled out.

Seems a bit much to pin it all on the guy who paid his money for the tag and played well enough to earn the #1 tag. How about some blame for the guy who sold the tag to an out-of-towner to begin with? Think I would need a good explanation from the League Director how this all went down before I start blaming travelling Mike for this issue.

Bag tags in general---and this scenario, in particular---generate more drama in my local disc golf club than everything else the club does, combined.

Which I find somewhat entertaining, since I'm not a bag tag participant. Not for philosophical reasons, but the fact that I don't play enough rounds with other bag tag holders to make it meaningful (plus, I don't care for the tags hanging off my bag, or keeping up with them otherwise).

Clear rules and guidelines help, but even with them there are players getting upset because they think those rules should be different. So the drama never ends.

I've done this and though I would want a tag, I would not leave with the number 1 since no one could get it.

Ask for a lower number and take a pic with #1 for the memories.

I've left with number 1 a few times never to return. I won it fair and square, fight me.

As a traveling player, there is no tag that is THAT important to me. Though, it is likely that it is THAT important to the guys playing all the time for those tags. I have heard all of the opinions that stand on principle, and most are correct, but my principles would not allow for me to take the top tag. If my ego needed to be sated, I might try to trade the tag for some club emblazoned mini or towel.

A couple of the tag leagues I play in now have gone to electronic tag assignment. DGS usually, around here. We all get generic tags without numbers and enter play and tag switches into a league page.

A couple of the tag leagues I play in now have gone to electronic tag assignment. DGS usually, around here. We all get generic tags without numbers and enter play and tag switches into a league page.

This is one of the best ideas I have ever heard. I'm going to try this with our club this year - maybe even get personalized tags if it doesn't cost a fortune.

-Dave

Our (very small) club did bag tags as a fund raiser and I had the #1 tag.
Without any warning, my job changed from days to rotating shifts.
What this meant, in my situation, was that I was not going to be available to play for tags with any regularity.

I gave the club the #1 tag.
They've had a blast competing for the tag and I never gave it a second thought.
It was the right thing to do.

This is one of the best ideas I have ever heard. I'm going to try this with our club this year - maybe even get personalized tags if it doesn't cost a fortune.

-Dave

Yeah....it became a big hassle otherwise. A bunch of us would be in tournaments and forget to change tags, or some would take off right after the tournament before swapping tags. We ended up mailing tags to one another, it was a drag.

Of course, it was an Alztimers bag tag league....a bunch of 50+ players. Could explain some of the forgetting. :eek::p

Our Club orders two #1 Tags just in case someone wins it and leaves town, it gets lost, etc... Saves all the drama of this scenario and costs next to nothing in the big picture. In 14 years we've had to break out the reserve #1 4 times I think...

I've left with number 1 a few times never to return. I won it fair and square, fight me.

You're right. You won it fair and square.

You also won the right to have your name dragged through the mud. For people to speak ill about you. For people to come up with by-laws bc some a-hole cares more about, literally #1, than the group that put the event on, every week. Congratulation on your win. Can't wait to never play with you. :cool:

When I played in a table tennis ladder league, we could only challenge those at most 7 spots above us, and the newest person would start at the bottom

This should solve a one time drive-by obtaining a #1 tag

When I played in a table tennis ladder league, we could only challenge those at most 7 spots above us, and the newest person would start at the bottom

This should solve a one time drive-by obtaining a #1 tag

Long ago we had bag tags on a challenge-only system (not thrown in at tournaments). A challenger who lost paid the winner 25 cents per difference in their numbers. It certainly kept #33 from pestering #2 over and over.

Latest posts