• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold Weather Disc Golf

Flyguy46

Par Member
Premium Member
Well my first round of 2022 is today! Prepping my gear for a cold day on the course. Should be interesting. Especially with nerve issues that are activated by cold. I am getting all my winter gear together right now for cold weather.

I plan to take a set of Hot Hands for my shoes in hopes that will help. My question to you all is what is your favorite winter gear?

My question to you all is what is your favorite winter gear?

1. Wool hat. Insulating your scalp retains lots of body heat.

2. Layers. I once played an ice bowl at -5 F, and even at that temperature one warms up once you start moving. Last thing you want is to be cold AND sweaty.

3. Pockets. I prefer pockets to gloves, but a quarterback hand warmer thingy is great, too. Pick up cold discs with your non-throwing hand.

I will defer to those in the northern tier states re playing in colder temperatures.

My question to you all is what is your favorite winter gear?

For really cold (ie 20s and below), I like:

My "trapper hat" (you know the kind with warm ear flaps). I look like a dork, but at least I look like a warm dork.

Electric rechargeable hand warmer. Chemical ones work well too, I carry those as backups

Thermos for two reasons. One, for hot chocolate. That really warms you on the course. Your kid plays, take my word for it, hot chocolate will make things better. Two, to keep your water from freezing. Had that happen to me my first year during a winter round, stinks when you go thirsty because your water froze. Lol

When it's getting single digits and below I use toe warmers. They sell toe warmers, fit better than using hand warmers.

Sleeveless vest. Keeps the core warmer and arms pretty free. Plus it has pockets for handwarmers which work better than the one hoodie front pocket where they want to slide out.

Thermals. Goes with the "layers" thing, but thermals are key. I use the "spandex like" ones, they work great.

I don't wear gloves (just hand in pocket) but if super cold I'll wear gorilla gloves (like friction gloves but cheaper) to take a bit of the chill off.

If you're a cart guy, they sell small propane heaters that fit in your drink holders pretty well. I'm not a cart guy but I own one and have done this.

Anyway, those are a few things that come to mind.

Also, learn to throw accurately so you don't waste your time wondering around looking for discs in the cold. Lol

- Use flexible discs and avoid base plastic when temps go below 32 to reduce chances of cracking.
- No white or clear discs in snow. Our rule is you don't have to help a player find their disc if they throw a white or clear disc. ;)
- Wear a heavier duty glove on your off hand and use a thinner, grippier glove for throwing unless you plan to just take off your glove and throw barehanded.

I don't like to overdress.

Wool socks and waterproof footwear are a must for me.

If it's really cold I'll wear mittens and just slip the one off my throwing hand when I throw. Otherwise I just use my pockets to keep my hands warm.

I usually wear a light fleece jacket and if it's extra cold or windy I'll put a really light windbreaker in top of that.

If there's a chance of my ears getting cold I'll wear a beanie. Otherwise it's just a ball cap.

If there's snow, obviously bring a towel or two.

Big a$$ed mittens. Easy on, easy off. I will leave one on my throwing hand right up until I need to throw and then put it right back on after the throw. Much easier and quicker to put a mitten on rather than some thick ski glove with fingers.

I agree with the white/clear disc Cgkdisc states above. You toss a white disc in the snow you get what you deserve. Not unlike tossing a green tye-dyed disc in the middle of summer. I've seen people do both - in those exact situations and it ain't pretty.

Also, every now and then I talk to someone about wearing multiple layers of cotton socks. No bueno. Your feet will sweat and by about hole 6 or so your feet will feel like blocks of ice. Don't do this. Spend some $$ and get a really good pair of wool socks or something that will absorb moisture. It's way way way more important for your extremities to stay dry rather than warm. And wear ONE pair of good wool socks. Bring an extra pair for multiple rounds or very long courses. Even when its super cold out I will change socks in the middle of the round just so I can keep my feet dry which can be a gigantic game changer. Speaking of which, wearing water-proof footwear is also key. If your shoes/boots can't keep the water out you're going to be miserable regardless of how good your socks are...

I have a thin quilted polyester jacket that's become the perfect middle layer. The material slides nice against both the inner and outer layers allowing good freedom of movement.

For cart users I've seen mittens that stay attached to the cart.

Last edited:
I know this sound unbelievable, played in an ice bowl tournament once where it was 32 below at tee off,played in 3 pair of sweat pants 3 pair of socks and like 5 tee shirts and 2 over sized hooded sweat shirts. I wasn't bound up and you'd be amazed how the layers of tee shirts keeps you warm

- Use flexible discs and avoid base plastic when temps go below 32 to reduce chances of cracking.
- No white or clear discs in snow. Our rule is you don't have to help a player find their disc if they throw a white or clear disc. ;)
- Wear a heavier duty glove on your off hand and use a thinner, grippier glove for throwing unless you plan to just take off your glove and throw barehanded.

agreed completely

even if its a putter from 20ft away still can be a huge time waste

ill give the fair warning/reminder that i am not going to help but my homies typically already are in the know

It's been mentioned for socks, but stay away from cotton if possible on anything next to your skin. Cotton traps moisture, you want something that wicks all moisture to the outermost layer where air will dry it.

If you want warmer discs, leave them inside overnight, not in your car trunk.

When very bundled up, I lose power, so I tend to disc down or use more understable discs than usual. Others may not have this issue.

Just have fun, don't worry as much about score. I treat very windy conditions the same way.

The most important piece of winter disc golf gear is knowing to shovel snow covered tees.

And to stay off snow and ice covered tee pads. If you are not going to clear them, don't make it more work for whomever does.

Above 32: Shorts, long sleeve UnderArmor/smartwool base layer mock turtle neck shirt, short sleeve dri fit over it and a fleece vest w/ pockets. I might start in a cotton waffle weave, but it will come off in a hole or two. Hand warmers in the fleece vest. No hat, I have a lot of hair, no gloves.

0-32: UnderArmor/smartwool long leggings and long sleeve mock turtle neck shirt, shorts and wool sweater, fleece vest. Maybe a knit hat, no gloves (but some will be in the bag) a discraft neck gaiter. Handwarmers in the vest pockets and shorts pockets.

Below 0: I don't play often, but I would wear pants.
Pants slow me down.
Always carry hat and gloves for times when play is slow or stopped. Extra handwarmers. Always have a pair of waterproof boots and excellent wool/smartwool socks. My feet don't really get cold playing disc golf. A good pair of quick dry boxer briefs are a plus in all weather. Have open storage space on your cart/bag...for layering up and down. Don't get sweaty. Appreciable snow makes for some changes, I don't enjoy, nor play in too much snow.

Warm dry clothes/shoes/socks in the car for post round beer or two and the drive home. Start the car and warm it up, while you have a couple post round toasts.

And to stay off snow and ice covered tee pads. If you are not going to clear them, don't make it more work for whomever does.

Above 32: Shorts, long sleeve UnderArmor/smartwool base layer mock turtle neck shirt, short sleeve dri fit over it and a fleece vest w/ pockets. I might start in a cotton waffle weave, but it will come off in a hole or two. Hand warmers in the fleece vest. No hat, I have a lot of hair, no gloves.

0-32: UnderArmor/smartwool long leggings and long sleeve mock turtle neck shirt, shorts and wool sweater, fleece vest. Maybe a knit hat, no gloves (but some will be in the bag) a discraft neck gaiter. Handwarmers in the vest pockets and shorts pockets.

Below 0: I don't play often, but I would wear pants.
Pants slow me down.
Always carry hat and gloves for times when play is slow or stopped. Extra handwarmers. Always have a pair of waterproof boots and excellent wool/smartwool socks. My feet don't really get cold playing disc golf. A good pair of quick dry boxer briefs are a plus in all weather. Have open storage space on your cart/bag...for layering up and down. Don't get sweaty. Appreciable snow makes for some changes, I don't enjoy, nor play in too much snow.

Warm dry clothes/shoes/socks in the car for post round beer or two and the drive home. Start the car and warm it up, while you have a couple post round toasts.

you seriously dont wear pants until its below 0

you seriously dont wear pants until its below 0

It is part of my strategy to maintain my 270 driving distance throughout the year. I wear legging (long johns) when it is below freezing. I honestly don't get cold legs. As long as I can keep my core warm things are fine.

It is part of my strategy to maintain my 270 driving distance throughout the year. I wear legging (long johns) when it is below freezing. I honestly don't get cold legs. As long as I can keep my core warm things are fine.

is there a bit of a lag period when seasons shift to winter or you acclimate just fine

Latest posts