• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold Weather Disc Golf

I have tried a balaclava, tends to be itchy, so haven't done entire rounds with them. Maybe I will try some different styles.

Have you found those effective?

I always wear one and swear by it. Get one that is polyester and thin. I find that I don't need a thick one, the thin ones are more comfy and the huge thick ones aren't really necessary if you've got a good winter hat on over it and a hoodie hood as another layer if needed.

I have tried a balaclava, tends to be itchy, so haven't done entire rounds with them. Maybe I will try some different styles.

Have you found those effective?

yah i used to get the runny nose/dry throat thing too

i bike and ski in winter (in mn) which makes you breathe harder than winter dg

youll get some ice build up on the balaclava but if youre only out for like an hour it really doesnt matter that much and the balaclava does a good job of preventing that cold air hit to the throat/lungs

if that doesnt suit your fancy some antihistamines can dry you out to stop your runny nose but beware you might experience other residual problems after like nasal irritation and dry throat

i ended up with balaclava and use it for all outdoor activities in winter

3rd'd.

Rain just plain sux.

In addition to the pneumonia-inducing aspects, you get the wet/muddy disc on every throw fun times. Snow does not seem to do that. I have only done upper teens in the snow, but that was preferable to rain even in the 50s. Plus, it is cool so see roller tracks in the snow. :)

In addition to the pneumonia-inducing aspects, you get the wet/muddy disc on every throw fun times. Snow does not seem to do that. I have only done upper teens in the snow, but that was preferable to rain even in the 50s. Plus, it is cool so see roller tracks in the snow. :)

Water hazards become much less daunting when there is a foot of ice, too.

One of my local courses has a hole that plays along a shoreline, where any slight left finish means splashdown. Tee is basically 10 feet from the waters edge, as is the basket When it's iced up, I'll play the wide FH skipper off the ice. It's fun!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20221206_163427_resized.jpg
    20221206_163427_resized.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 90
So...anyone have issues with excessive snotting in cold weather (sorry, that's the clearest I can describe it!)

I know what causes it--breathing in cold air, and my nose react by producing all the mucous to warm and moisten the air before it gets to the lungs. What I don't know it how to address it, because its very annoying. Even a face mask has not helped much (and I hate them they are so itchy). It does not matter how warm the rest of me is, only what the air temp is...

Anyone else deal with this and/or have suggestions?

Yeah, once it gets below 50 degrees my nose runs like a faucet. Noses sprays don't work, expelling the fluid out each nostril works for about 30 seconds. Hankerchiefs are not enough as they get wet fairly quickly.
Whoever mentioned using a towel was on the right track. I use small towels or old tee shirts.
Excessive runny nose syndrome sucks! :wall:

Water hazards become much less daunting when there is a foot of ice, too.

One of my local courses has a hole that plays along a shoreline, where any slight left finish means splashdown. Tee is basically 10 feet from the waters edge, as is the basket When it's iced up, I'll play the wide FH skipper off the ice. It's fun!

Simon line. He had an ace run at Maple Hill in one of his videos skipping off the ice.

We had a club monthly event a few years ago (march 2015?) when an overnight ice storm made me assume few people would come out. I was planning to play my first (unsanctioned, age protected) cash tourney, and thought the crowd would be thinned out by the elements. Surprised to see 80 people show up. But the cold, windy and wet conditions hovered around freezing, and everybody got freezing soaked the first round. We had only 39 (out of 80) finish the second round. Again, I stuck around because all I needed to do was finish in order to cash. That was the worst weather I've ever played in. Preferred a New Years Day event down around 0 degrees. Dry cold is OK.

We had a club monthly event a few years ago (march 2015?) when an overnight ice storm made me assume few people would come out. I was planning to play my first (unsanctioned, age protected) cash tourney, and thought the crowd would be thinned out by the elements. Surprised to see 80 people show up. But the cold, windy and wet conditions hovered around freezing, and everybody got freezing soaked the first round. We had only 39 (out of 80) finish the second round. Again, I stuck around because all I needed to do was finish in order to cash. That was the worst weather I've ever played in. Preferred a New Years Day event down around 0 degrees. Dry cold is OK.
IIRC we played a quick round at Winton Woods NY Day 2018, in single digits below, as a "warmup" round your your tourney. ;)

I played Monroe and Englewood after that on my way home. Absolutely right that a dry cold ain't that bad (especially if the wind isn't blowing).

I'm an odd one up here. I don't mind the cold at all (one could say I'm genetically engineered for it lol) but once there's a few inches of snow on the ground, I usually switch to other, more seasonally appropriate hobbies, for example:snowshoeing, ice fishing, sledding with my boys, also taking up skiing this year. Not because of the cold, moreso because I'm a cheap skate and utterly despise searching for discs. I see no reason to pigeonhole my spring/summer/fall hobby into winter too. That's just me.

That being said, we had a stretch a few years back in mid December where we had little snow but bitter cold. I think It was around -20 wind chill and I played a round. Can't remember what the air temp was, but it was below zero.

Michigander here and I am basically in the same boat as you. I'll play no matter what temperature it is outside, and I don't mind a little snow down but once it gets 6 inches of snow pack or more I tend to stay home, just because it's a pain looking for discs and I can't push my cart around. There is a weekly I play and these maniacs will play no matter what and I do join them often even in the snow and just carry a small bag, but outside of that if there is a lot of snowpack down I tend to just take a break.

Thankfully I'm on the SE corner of the state and while it's definitely cold here we actually don't have that many days when the snowpack sticks around for days on end. We get snow but then we have frequent odd days where it's 40 degrees and rainy and a good bit of the snow melts.

I'm a Westside Michigander. Use to play in all the weathers up to about three years ago, for most the reasons already listed.
One reason I haven't seen is cold teeth. Sounds (looks) stoopid in print, but it is a real thing & no amount of covering up my face prevents it.

The SE corner does seem to "miss out" on the pile ups of snow. Lake effect snow is a real thing. If it weren't for the horrible traffic in metro (what up doe?), I would have moved over there by now.

Latest posts