• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold Weather Disc Golf

Press one side of your nose until one nostril is closed. Turn your head away from any card mates, being mindful of wind direction and speed. Forcefully exhale through your open nostril, ejecting excess snot hopefully onto the ground. Repeat with other nostril.

Use hand sanitizer before any high fives, fist bumps or handshakes.

A variation of this works well for group road bike riding with the added caveat of being certain you are on the back of the paceline. [emoji106][emoji16][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My nose always runs when I'm out in cold weather for a while. I keep a pocket pack of kleenex in my bag all the time. I typically need one about halfway through a round.

If no trash cans on course, I stash it in the drink holder under my water bottle, and I throw it out whenever I remember.

With my game, hi fives and fist bumps are few and far between, which reduces my chances of spreading disease to anyone. :)

Last edited:
Dressing warm definitely keeps your hands warm. It's all cumulative, as the blood flows in and out constantly. I notice a difference in extremity warmth depending upon how I'm layered up. For example let's say its below freezing out, say 25 degrees. If I'm in snow pants and long underwear, I can often get away with wearing just regular GTX Terrex shoes as long as there isn't a ton of snow down. But if I don't have the snow pants on and just have regular athletic wear pants, I notice my feet will get cold and I'll have to wear insulated winter boots.

Same goes for my hands too, depending upon how dressed up I am. Your hands and feet are the canary in the coal mine for how you're dressed. They're the first to get cold, and if they start to it tells me I'm not layered up appropriately.

I've played this week in single digit real feels and will play in much colder this coming January, and I do not use hand warmers at all, and a lot of the time I have to leave my throwing glove stuffed away in my bag for extended periods of time because my throwing hand will get too hot and sweaty.

You're definitely right about gloves getting easily lost. That's an issue no doubt, but so is your discs, phone, beer, birdie bag, and whatever else. I've tried to have a good system in place where I keep things and try to keep the libations to a reasonable level to keep that at bay.

Libations are bad for me in the cold, as it prevents your body from staying warm.

You have a great point about gloves getting sweaty and increasing the chances of frostbite. I wear golf gloves when I'm out playing disc golf combined with a handwarmer in my pocket. For me it is a good compromise.

My nose always runs when I'm out in cold weather for a while. I keep a pocket pack of kleenex in my bag all the time. I typically need one about halfway through a round.

OK, I see the disconnect now with folks understanding my issue. :)

I go through a pack each round, and am de-mucousing by the 1st basket, and about every hole afterwards. Since my son has the same problem, I guessed we were kind of the norm.

Maybe I should be on a physician's forum, not a DG one. :gross:

OK, I see the disconnect now with folks understanding my issue. :)

I go through a pack each round, and am de-mucousing by the 1st basket, and about every hole afterwards. Since my son has the same problem, I guessed we were kind of the norm.

Maybe I should be on a physician's forum, not a DG one. :gross:

do you use a scarf or balaclava or bandana to cover your mouth and nose when youre walking around

I recently bought some Gerry brand fleece-lined pants at Costco, and I'm now kicking myself for not getting some of these sooner. These rank right up there with a hot shower and micro-fiber bed sheets in winter as one of life's simple pleasures, so comfortable, and warm, too.

i bought some fleece lined tech pants at costco a while back (eddie bauer i believe) and they are such a great mid pant to have for the winter plus cheap af too

Libations are bad for me in the cold, as it prevents your body from staying warm.

You have a great point about gloves getting sweaty and increasing the chances of frostbite. I wear golf gloves when I'm out playing disc golf combined with a handwarmer in my pocket. For me it is a good compromise.

As far as the gloves go, I'd recommend just going to Walmart or something similar and getting winter mittens there. Yeah they're not the best ones but they're still pretty good and you can find ones for 30 bucks or probably even less. You're right about them getting easily lost. I went to REI years ago and got my mittens there and yeah I got the fancy ones and spent 80 bucks or something like that. I definitely wouldn't do that again given not just how much playing will tear your gloves up (picking up your bag/pushing your cart) but also how easily you can lose one from taking it off and putting it back on.

I have a couple pair of Wrangler fleece lined all terrain gear pants I wear for both disc golf and winter biking. The outer shell is a heavy nylon spandex that blocks the wind and stretches with you while throwing. Wrangler also makes fleece lined carpenter jeans that are more bulky but a little warmer for those sub 20F rounds. I've also started throwing with a friction glove, which I really like.

So...anyone have issues with excessive snotting in cold weather (sorry, that's the clearest I can describe it!)

I know what causes it--breathing in cold air, and my nose react by producing all the mucous to warm and moisten the air before it gets to the lungs. What I don't know it how to address it, because its very annoying. Even a face mask has not helped much (and I hate them they are so itchy). It does not matter how warm the rest of me is, only what the air temp is...

Anyone else deal with this and/or have suggestions?

Yes. I can also go through a packet of Kleenex in 1 round.

Keeping my head warm helps a lot. But the biggest improvement is from nasal sprays. Flonase, Nasacort, and maybe Phenylephrine are very helpful!

Under Armor 3.0 base leggings and flannel-lined khakis keep my legs (almost too) toasty. Under armor base, long sleeve tee, short sleeve tee, pullover hoodie, zip-up hoodie for the top. Remove layers as necessary. If I wear gloves, it's only on the off hand, I'll use a handwarmer in the right pocket for my throwing hand if it's cold enough and I remember to bring one.

As far as the gloves go, I'd recommend just going to Walmart or something similar and getting winter mittens there. Yeah they're not the best ones but they're still pretty good and you can find ones for 30 bucks or probably even less. You're right about them getting easily lost. I went to REI years ago and got my mittens there and yeah I got the fancy ones and spent 80 bucks or something like that. I definitely wouldn't do that again given not just how much playing will tear your gloves up (picking up your bag/pushing your cart) but also how easily you can lose one from taking it off and putting it back on.

Not really looking for recommendations since I found a solution that works. But maybe this can help someone else. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

I always feel like these conversations need a related topic, similar to the "what is par" talk......"What is cold?"

I feel like it's such a different topic for many of us just based on the climates we play.

I also feel like a good majority of you have never played in cold :p

I always feel like these conversations need a related topic, similar to the "what is par" talk......"What is cold?"
I feel like it's such a different topic for many of us just based on the climates we play.
I also feel like a good majority of you have never played in cold :p
yeah i don't think we need another thread, so what's the coldest you've played in?
it looks like today will be my coldest: mid teens(f) & a small breeze making the windchill in the single digits with 2" of old snow on the ground. we get even colder on thursday/friday which will be my next day to play.

yeah i don't think we need another thread, so what's the coldest you've played in?
it looks like today will be my coldest: mid teens(f) & a small breeze making the windchill in the single digits with 2" of old snow on the ground. we get even colder on thursday/friday which will be my next day to play.

I'm an odd one up here. I don't mind the cold at all (one could say I'm genetically engineered for it lol) but once there's a few inches of snow on the ground, I usually switch to other, more seasonally appropriate hobbies, for example:snowshoeing, ice fishing, sledding with my boys, also taking up skiing this year. Not because of the cold, moreso because I'm a cheap skate and utterly despise searching for discs. I see no reason to pigeonhole my spring/summer/fall hobby into winter too. That's just me.

That being said, we had a stretch a few years back in mid December where we had little snow but bitter cold. I think It was around -20 wind chill and I played a round. Can't remember what the air temp was, but it was below zero.

Hang on. I didn't know we were counting the wind chill.

I was out once at -7 with no wind chill and have been out many times in the mid to low teens without the wind.

Maybe I have played in the cold a few times?

I have a couple pair of Wrangler fleece lined all terrain gear pants I wear for both disc golf and winter biking. The outer shell is a heavy nylon spandex that blocks the wind and stretches with you while throwing. Wrangler also makes fleece lined carpenter jeans that are more bulky but a little warmer for those sub 20F rounds. I've also started throwing with a friction glove, which I really like.

These are perfect for winter disc golf.

When it's really cold, I wear a thin pair of smartwool thermal leggings and never have an issue with legs being cold.

A good investment this past year was a hardwarmer pouch/muff thing like football players wear.

Works great to throw one of those giant handwarmers in.

Hang on. I didn't know we were counting the wind chill.

I was out once at -7 with no wind chill and have been out many times in the mid to low teens without the wind.

Maybe I have played in the cold a few times?

I'd say that qualifies :D

I'll play in snow. I'll play in cold. I'll finish a round in the rain (won't start one unless I'm far from home).

Cold rain though? F**k right off.

Latest posts