• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Collecting.

I have 3 in my collection (non-throwers that I won't sell):

First disc: DX Aviar
First Ace Disc: Champ Boss
First tourney I TD'ed: Custom Wizard

Other than that, plastic is for throwing, trading or selling

When I first started I would hang discs on my wall because I liked the stamp. Over time some became collectables ($$) and some didn't.
My suggestion to someone new is try something like that first (which has been suggested) until you get more experience and knowledge to know which discs are collectors.

Anyone have any input on collecting discs or a website that gives you insight on how and what to look for exactly?

I just started, just got my first collector disc, the Konopiste Open pre-release disc.

Just want to have some really cool wall hangers for when my fiance and I get our apartment soon.

how excited is your fiance about this wall of discs in the new apartment?

I have 3 in my collection (non-throwers that I won't sell):

First disc: DX Aviar
First Ace Disc: Champ Boss
First tourney I TD'ed: Custom Wizard

Other than that, plastic is for throwing, trading or selling

I'm with you, but collecting discs isn't the weirdest thing. There's something to collecting cool looking plastic.

Some guy posted an insane swirly thunderbird collection a couple of weeks ago. Looked amazing.

Just start playing tournaments and collect all the tourney stamped discs you get in players packs.

Just start playing tournaments and collect all the tourney stamped discs you get in players packs.

Yup, this was how I started collecting. All of those discs have emotional value and unique stamps. Some of them will actually gain a bit of monetary value as well. I know that innova offers some plastic/mold combinations only for fundraising discs, so you can get early run or rare discs.

And then, yeah, obviously buy a red 9x eagle and a proto star champ tern...those are no-brainers! What's that? First run spider?? Heck yes.

Collecting is the NEW wave of disc golf. Throw the plastic ... in good health of course.

I guess I am a collector. In that I will snatch up any old San Marino Sentinel or 1.1 Zippertop Q or S OLF I see for a reasonable price. But then again, they all end up getting thrown. I'm also pretty partial to old USDGC Rocs. I've amassed some "collectors" for sure, but they all get thrown too.

They're Frisbees after all.
Throw. Them. All.

Another vote for throwing them. Set those frisbees free!

My "collector" discs are in cardboard boxes. They come out for fieldwork or when they need to replace a fallen soldier.

how excited is your fiance about this wall of discs in the new apartment?

She doesn't mind, I'm trying to get her into it but between school and work neither of us have a lot of time together to get out.

She knows my favorite hobby is throwing.

I'm not a collector per se. If you were to look in my basement a hoarder might be closer to the truth. That said, there are 30 discs proudly displayed in my living room and elsewhere in the house. 1 is my first ace disc. All of the others are keepsakes from touraments, leagues, etc. Some are less than attractive, some worn a bit because I gave them a short test run.

The point is they probably aren't worth anything except to me. For my money those are the discs to collect for display.

I have some dye jobs, cool stamps, and retired memorial discs(it may seem morbid, but i have bought a disc after I have lost a loved one) hanging in the basement where the wife won't mind

Ive been playing since Ed figured out a target, but never really collected discs pre Vibram.
I got protos, and metal flakes and blue glows, but always thought hanging frisbees on your wall was pretty ghetto.
Decoration style " Early American bad taste :| " Like cinder block, milk crate, or old cable spool tables.
Vibrams, starting with the Chunks, were art. Every one an original. Thats when I started putting discs on the wall. Still the same now, no ace discs, no C.E., no Protos, not even Party Times, just a wall of rubber.

Never buy discs on speculation, you will grow old and die before they appreciate significantly, a savings account will earn more. Buy what looks cool to you, chances are somebody else will feel the same way, and years from now you can reap the rewards.

I'm not a collector per se. If you were to look in my basement a hoarder might be closer to the truth.

I can identify with this.
When I got obsessed with DG in 2008, I bought a lot of plastic and most of it was used.
Hated to get rid of it, so I just stashed it.
Come to find out that a few years later, some of that stuff is now somewhat valuable.

DG hoarding is a great pastime, because the longer you sit on that plastic, the more it's worth.
Even a lazy guy like me can be a collector (hoarder).