• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

College Sports Scholarships and Am Status

From what I gather from that link, you are allowed to earn prize money in pretty much all sports as long as the prize money doesn't exceed the expenses you incurred to play that year/ season. Tennis allows $10,000 regardless of expenses.
"Generally" is not the same as "pretty much all sports." It would be a reasonable assumption before looking into it that you'd find that, but not worth testing without looking into it.

It is common for a dude to play pro baseball while playing college football. Kyler Murray is a recent and prominent example. A different example is that former NBA player J.R. Smith is playing college golf right now.

There was a time when that was not allowed. I'm guessing that changed in the 80's or 90's.

Did a bit of looking around. Seems intercollegiate disc golf is run by https://collegediscgolf.com/ and the NCAA is irrelevant when it comes to college disc golf

They have have the National Championships this coming weekend. 189 teams are entered.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/College_Disc_Golf_National_Championship_DI_2023/registration

As far as eligibility.
All players must be certified as amateurs or professionals per the PDGA. Those who meet the standards and qualify as a Premier Professional (formerly Touring Professional) or were designated as a Premier Professional within the past five years are not eligible to participate.

Premier Professionals https://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/touring-pros

They have have the National Championships this coming weekend. 189 teams are entered.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/College_Disc_Golf_National_Championship_DI_2023/registration
It actually starts tomorrow. I believe Saturday, on the weekend, is the last day of the event.

Go Rockets. University of Toledo going out there to hopefully have a strong event. They got there and played their first round on Sunday and have been working on the courses since. Its the first time they've had more than one day of prep. We went and did okay in 2019 with our first-year-club of established community locals. There was no 2020. And then it was allllll new 18-20 year old players in the 800s in 2021.

Now those kids are all juniors and seniors rolling out a 953, 929, 928, 903 .... with a 912, 905, 908, 891 on B Team - and only the 928 and 929 are graduating. A sustainable build to having a team that is always stocked at least with advanced players is the goal.

I hope they can perform over their heads and get a top 20 finish this week. They have the power and shot versatility, its just the consistency as is the case so so so often.

I have wondered for years why they let pros of any sort compete in this.

I think it is because in many areas, the proper competition is in the pro ranks. It is really why all college sports permit it to at least some degree. You don't want to hold these players back by forcing them to compete against lesser competition.

I have wondered for years why they let pros of any sort compete in this.
It is all getting a mass of strong players into the event, to make it look more impressive, IMO. The assumption, back in the day, was that restrictions would tighten up down the road... But with the way things are moving in the NCAA in general with NIL I think thats changed.

But yeah back when I first played a collegiate event (2008 I think, when I was in undergrad - I played 1 event in 2008, and then a few more including nationals from 2019-2022) it would have been tough to get ANY decent players at all unless you let pros up-to-a-certain-level play. Now you could probably get a ton of 950+ guys, and maybe they could tighten it up if the sport was going that way.

Since there isn't a thread elsewhere...... I present to you here: the current leader of the singles competition.

attachment.php

Yep, that's a college student.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 4.32.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 4.32.41 PM.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 93
So in a quirk of scheduling to accommodate a match play event for the top 64 ranked players - the top 64 played their singles round today. The rest of D1 plays theirs tomorrow. In thunderstorms. Even if the round gets pushed back the rest of the field will play in the rain. The problem is that the top 64 aren't evenly distributed.

One school had all 4 of their players ranked in the top 64, and so on top of a strong team got the luck of the draw and nice weather. It was a benefit to UToledo too - we were one of the teams with 2 in the top 64. 29% of the players that played in good weather today came from 9% of the schools.

I get that even in a shotgun start you don't get true equality. But splitting off players in a way that isn't equitable amongst teams... And the match play tournament doesn't even count toward the team outcomes.

It actually starts tomorrow. I believe Saturday, on the weekend, is the last day of the event.

Go Rockets. University of Toledo going out there to hopefully have a strong event. They got there and played their first round on Sunday and have been working on the courses since. Its the first time they've had more than one day of prep. We went and did okay in 2019 with our first-year-club of established community locals. There was no 2020. And then it was allllll new 18-20 year old players in the 800s in 2021.
So what were the results? I somehow missed this event
I consider these young students promising. Although I do not understand how they keep up with their studies. I know that they train a lot at university and use different resources for studying, for example, research paper writing help https://essays.studymoose.com/research-paper-writing-help is useful for them with a written task. I don't understand how they still manage to attend lectures
Now those kids are all juniors and seniors rolling out a 953, 929, 928, 903 .... with a 912, 905, 908, 891 on B Team - and only the 928 and 929 are graduating. A sustainable build to having a team that is always stocked at least with advanced players is the goal.

I hope they can perform over their heads and get a top 20 finish this week. They have the power and shot versatility, its just the consistency as is the case so so so often.

For the Rockets? The event started great. The team was in the top-5 after round 1 which is hugely promising for the rebuild. However it got into their heads and performance dipped throughout the event leading to a low team finish. Still, almost every single player on the team returns in 2023-2024 so hopefully they can build on that top-5 score from round 1!

Latest posts