• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro vs. Am

Morg H

Just entering the 50+ division... and started playing tournaments in '23 so still figuring out a lot of stuff.
Any thoughts on Pro vs Am status?
Seems like the only big difference is the ability to play in True Amateur tournaments. Is that a significant limitation in your opinion?
Thanks!

How good are you? Plenty of MP50 dudes around here have player ratings of 950+.

What are your goals for playing in a disc golf tournament?

How long have you been playing disc golf?

If you want to make some cash(but usually not a lot) play pro, the best MA50 guys I play with can routinely cash in MP50 they just don't care as much.

Thanks for the responses -

I've been playing for almost 30 years - rated 920.
The cash isn't a motivating factor, but I usually place top 5 in MA2 or MA40 when in those divisions.

What are your goals for playing in a disc golf tournament?

How long have you been playing disc golf?
My goal is to have a good time, have new experiences, improve my tournament IQ

It's funny, score wise MP50 and MA1 are usually very close. But MA1 usually throw farther has more specialized shots and MP50 often putts better and has more polish.

Play where you are comfortable and having fun.

This is all about your motivation. We cannot answer that. Worlds is the one big question. If you are going to be interested in AM Worlds, then you have your answer.

This is all about your motivation. We cannot answer that. Worlds is the one big question. If you are going to be interested in AM Worlds, then you have your answer.
I've always enjoyed the MA cards - people are cool and kind & having a good time - so that's been great. If Pro is less 'friendly', then I'm more than happy to hang with the MA's which is probably more my level of skill anyway.
There doesn't seem to be a great reason(for me) to get involved in the MP side of things(yet).
Ultimately I would like to play @ Worlds(just probably not Emporia), so my goal for next year is to play @ the US Masters, which I'm still not exactly sure how to sign up for(I have the points, just need to sign up when the time comes...?)
Thanks all, for the quality chat - looking forward to the Winter Rounds!

Pro vs AM.

Pro....PDGA membership costs $75/year and you are required to be a Certified Official (might be only for certain level events) which costs another $10 but is good for 3 years.
AM...PDGA membership costs $50

Pro...can accept cash
AM....might receive merchandise (which can be sold for cash)

Pro...can only play in Pro events/divisions, unless PDGA waiver/approval is received
AM...can play in AM or Pro events/divisions without needing a waiver/approval.

One way to decide, look in DiscGolfScene for your area.....how many AM only events are there? How many events have Pro divisions? If you go Pro...you might be limiting the number of events you can play in.

That is part of the reason I play AM most of the time, I play MPO occasionally but our local scene doesn't have as many pro events.

Important point in the last 2 posts -- the answer is probably location-dependent. How many players typically in those divisions, how good are they, how is their attitude?

Latest posts