• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[PDGA Major] Champions Cup 2024

Out of curiosity: I had my drive land in a puddle when playing league yesterday. The line of casual relief followed the puddle perfectly until the OB path. Is there any option for casual relief in this case? I just marked it and played from the shallow part of the puddle, but was curious if anyone knew how to legally get out of the puddle.

Out of curiosity: I had my drive land in a puddle when playing league yesterday. The line of casual relief followed the puddle perfectly until the OB path. Is there any option for casual relief in this case? I just marked it and played from the shallow part of the puddle, but was curious if anyone knew how to legally get out of the puddle.
The Rules Committee hasn't quite figured out a way to write a rule that allows additional free casual relief along an OB line that doesn't continue to follow the line of play even if it meant the player would move back even farther from the target.

The Rules Committee hasn't quite figured out a way to write a rule that allows additional free casual relief along an OB line that doesn't continue to follow the line of play even if it meant the player would move back even farther from the target.

Yeah, there were several players putting from the pond when it expanded past the OB lines. It was either that or take casual relief another 75 feet back. I think its just one of those "shit happens" scenarios.

Pretty much.
I'd vote to allow players to violate the Dress code and take shoes/socks off to play from casual water. But that's Comp Committee not RC.

How about "if line of play relief is unavailable due to out of bounds, lie may be taken at the nearest inbounds point behind the casual area."
There are other reasons besides OB why relief would not be available. Those would also need to be taken into account.

Since rules are usually enforced from memory, it's better to keep them simple. Covering every kind of "Ooooh poor baby, we'll find you some really nice place to take your lie after that mean nasty throw that was not at all your fault!" would create a rule that is not rememberable enough for most players.

The only two types of relief that always work are: re-throw, and from where the disc was last in a good place.

Every rule that lets a player get out of an area could be: Mark within a meter of where the disc was last not in that area.

Relief from a puddle that straddles the OB fence could be from where the disc was last "feet dry". This would almost always be farther from the target anyway, because discs are generally traveling toward the target when they go into water.

I'll argue strongly for the unpopular middle way which is that any given bit of water on a course should either be A) out of bounds or B) in play but with absolutely no casual relief available.
Any water can be casual water if you're brave enough.

The issue at hand is not vague. It just doesn't always provide relief. So the question is: Should the book grow to allow for MORE cases of not playing it where it lies?
In this case I would say yes and you are correct- in this case the issue is not vagueness but inequity of outcome.

Last edited:
The issue at hand is not vague. It just doesn't always provide relief. So the question is: Should the book grow to allow for MORE cases of not playing it where it lies?

Rule writing is always tricky. The more latitude you allow, the more space for a crafty player to exploit it.

Relief from a puddle that straddles the OB fence could be from where the disc was last "feet dry". This would almost always be farther from the target anyway, because discs are generally traveling toward the target when they go into water.

Except in the case where it is long of the basket, in which case a lot of odd stuff can happen.

I was fortunate enough to get relief in my second tournament, that maybe I shouldn't have. My disc landed on the front half of a very large fire ant mound. My lie would have had me stand right on the mound. I asked the card (MA3 or 4) for casual relief and was granted away from the basket in line just off the ant mound. Got my hand bit twice just getting my disc off the mound, then smacked the disc against a tree to get the rest of the ants off the disc.

I was fortunate enough to get relief in my second tournament, that maybe I shouldn't have. My disc landed on the front half of a very large fire ant mound. My lie would have had me stand right on the mound. I asked the card (MA3 or 4) for casual relief and was granted away from the basket in line just off the ant mound. Got my hand bit twice just getting my disc off the mound, then smacked the disc against a tree to get the rest of the ants off the disc.
Know the rules:
803.02.A A player may obtain relief from the following obstacles: harmful insects or animals,...

"803.02 Relief from Obstacles

A. A player may obtain relief from the following obstacles: harmful insects or animals, or any item as designated by the Director. To obtain relief, the player may mark a new lie that is on the line of play, farther from the target, at the nearest point that provides relief (unless greater relief is announced by the Director)."

Yes, you get relief from fire ants. Since you got bit, I'd say you didn't take it far enough back to actually get relief. Take more next time.

@Steve West
Yes, you get relief from fire ants. Since you got bit, I'd say you didn't take it far enough back to actually get relief. Take more next time.

I got bit retrieving the disc that landed on the mound, I guess I could have just abandoned the disc and left it to the ants. No bites were received from the relief.