• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[PDGA Major] Champions Cup 2024

Hey, seeing Pros use streamers on their discs in the snow isn't buzzkill......I'd love to see it. The streamer would affect the flight....think how cool it would be to see pros discs flying weird because they've got streamers attached.
streamers look cool in flight irl. i bet they would look cool on camera too

Golf is not a winter sport. We should not risk our professional's saftey by making them play in the snow.
Golf may not be, but disc golf ABSOLUTELY is. Professional players are a couple hundred, out of 10's of thousands of disc golfers. Let's try to avoid making sweeping proclamations, based on the actions of a couple handful of golfers. I live in Michigan and we have leagues and tournaments running through the winter. I just got caught in some significant lake effect snow on Sun. Started sunny and ended the round with about 3 in of snow on the ground. It was spectacular to be playing in a snow globe.

Golf may not be, but disc golf ABSOLUTELY is.
Just because it's fun to play in the snow, does not mean it is appropriate for the professional side of the sport. I play the occasional winter round here in Iowa, but prefer to give my body a rest and not ruin my form. I also don't go anywhere near a concrete tee-pad during the winter. Ice and concrete are not friends.

Just because it's fun to play in the snow, does not mean it is appropriate for the professional side of the sport. I play the occasional winter round here in Iowa, but prefer to give my body a rest and not ruin my form. I also don't go anywhere near a concrete tee-pad during the winter. Ice and concrete are not friends.
That what the shovel in the car is for. 🥵 Shrug....I honestly don't care what pros do. I find that the slowed down run up, decreased range of movement and increased number of standstill throws enhances my form. It emphasizes bracing and forces focus on power concentration. I don't actually play in much deep snow anymore either....winter golf gets harder every year, lol.

I guess this is as good of a place as any for the start of the PSA. PLEASE DO NOT play off snow covered tee pads. It compacts the snow, quickly turning it to ice. This makes it a TON more work to clear later. Just call a casual tee pad rule and safely play to the side or back of the pads.

Is it worse to play in snow or the smog from the Canadian wildfires?

Hopefully we don't have a late winter in the Midwest now.
April 28th in Peoria? Highly doubtful. The most likely scenario they going to have to deal with is cold mornings, with temps potentially in the mid to low 30s, but it should warm up to anywhere from 55 to 65 degrees by mid day.

Why? I for one would LOVE to see the best players in the world play through a blizzard in a foot of snow. With wind chills near zero. You know, like so many of us deal with all winter long. Lets see, altering discs is illegal, so no streamers. Doesn't one of the players have all white discs?

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Snow would make for a great time, but I was thinking more along the lines of a muddy, sloppy mess.

April in that latitude is more likely to be like old school GBO. Massive downpours and flooding causing terrible ground conditions. Also wind.

Edit- I guess Emporia is a bit further south, so add potential for freezing in the morning hours.

April in that latitude is more likely to be like old school GBO. Massive downpours and flooding causing terrible ground conditions. Also wind.

Edit- I guess Emporia is a bit further south, so add potential for freezing in the morning hours
How much experience do you have playing Northwood?

None. Just experience living in Iowa.
Me neither, but I know from playing over 100 courses in multiple states myself that ground conditions can drastically vary depending on the parks unique soil characteristics and elevation comparable to nearby areas, especially it's location in the park.

Up here in Michigan we tend to dry out pretty quick in April and by the end we are usually pretty solid by the first of May, and Peoria is a good bit farther south than the both of us, and even as little as 30 miles south can make a difference in terms of temperature and snow pack.

Hopefully someone whose local to the area can chime in on what the park is generally like that time of the year. If it was the first week of April I'd say the chances of disaster might be significant but by the 28th I gotta think that park is looking pretty solid, as Peoria average high temperature during that time is almost 70 degrees.

I think the biggest problem will be the people with the early tee times, as there is a decent chance one or multiple days will probably be down in the 30s at 8am.

I came out of every winter I recall, when I was playing all winter, throwing further and cleaner than ever. I never noted a time where winter play ruined my form. If anything it made me more compact and efficient.

Me neither, but I know from playing over 100 courses in multiple states myself that ground conditions can drastically vary depending on the parks unique soil characteristics and elevation comparable to nearby areas, especially it's location in the park.

Up here in Michigan we tend to dry out pretty quick in April and by the end we are usually pretty solid by the first of May, and Peoria is a good bit farther south than the both of us, and even as little as 30 miles south can make a difference in terms of temperature and snow pack.

Hopefully someone whose local to the area can chime in on what the park is generally like that time of the year. If it was the first week of April I'd say the chances of disaster might be significant but by the 28th I gotta think that park is looking pretty solid, as Peoria average high temperature during that time is almost 70 degrees.

I think the biggest problem will be the people with the early tee times, as there is a decent chance one or multiple days will probably be down in the 30s at 8am.
Late April snow has happened up by me (Chicago area), but it's very rare and fleeting when it does happen. 2 hours south? Likely even more rare, but agreed, I'd love to hear from an actual local.

I have run an event at Northwood in Morton the last couple of years the first week of May (and will be doing so again this coming year the weekend after the Champions Cup). The course actually holds up pretty well. Some of the spots between holes can be a little slick if there are spring rains. Accumulating snow is not going to happen...miserably cold rain is definitely a possibility though.

When I ran sports programs in the Chicago 'burbs, we started softball with daylight savings time. Back then DST started the first week of April, and we sometimes had cold but never had snow. What we did have was full onslaught thaw; the fields could be muddy as all Hell into May. Sloppy muddy conditions would be what I would be concerned about.