• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Color and Stability

Enough metal however to make airline security question them from time to time. I remember when I started playing over 10 years ago they though I was trying to smuggle something through securtiy. Forntunately, enough people travel w/ discs these days that they are becomming more familiar with the sport. I remember thinking that if they took my bag I might go postal on the spot.

Well, that could be explained by the metallic stamps. And plastic does show up in x-ray machines.

I have two Star RoadRunners that are the same weight, but feel very, very different.
One is shiny yellow and way more stable than any RR has any right to be.
One is a very dull, dark orange and is much less stable. My theory is that the surface make-up has something to do with the comparitive stabilty of the two discs.
When discs are new and shiny, they are more stable.
However, when they get old and rough and scraped up, they are less stable.
The surface texture probably has more influence on stability than the color, per se.

I have two Star RoadRunners that are the same weight, but feel very, very different.
One is shiny yellow and way more stable than any RR has any right to be.
One is a very dull, dark orange and is much less stable. My theory is that the surface make-up has something to do with the comparitive stabilty of the two discs.
When discs are new and shiny, they are more stable.
However, when they get old and rough and scraped up, they are less stable.
The surface texture probably has more influence on stability than the color, per se.

put them side by side on a table and check parting line height

All of this is beginning to make more and more sense to me now

.....copper and iron are only slightly heavier than titanium and chromium...however they are still heavier so the idea that during drying and inevitable settling more mass might make its way to the outer edges of the disc and thus create more stability does hold some "weight" According to this red green black and blue in darker shades would likely be more stable than yellows, whites, etc. Purple (red + blue) would be more stable than say lime (green + white) orange would be less stable (yellow and red) than say dark blue. Interesting stuff IMO not sure it can be proven but its interesting.

Red seems to get the nod by most as being far more durable and stable than yellow (throw a yellow DX Aviar on a woods course and tell me how that stability holds up compared to a red one)

tye dye discs are often more stable and usually harder.......you can feel the difference and the flight paths are different....I'm guessing the many colors add hardness and harder discs behave more stable due to less friction and faster flights

According to Innova the best discs are those with an ugly build up of material around the rim (occurs from buildup of material making its way downward to the rim during cooling and causes a murky buildup around the rim and other dam points. (nipple etc)

The most coveted discs are those more clear in the center with much color on the rims (almost 2 toned) These are almost always blue, red, green, or the heavier metal discs

I'm sure this is all conjecture but it makes sense in my measley little mind that specific colors correlate to better discs and for reasons beyond specific runs being made in certain colors.

Latest posts