• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Columbia Gorge Wildfire

Pierparknut

Gold level trusted reviewer
As you may know, an enormous wildfire has destroyed a large portion of the Columbia River Gorge in the past few days. It's quite the tragedy. It is a one-of-a-kind place with spectacular waterfalls, breathtaking views, and stately old Douglas firs. And to think that a couple teenagers with firecrackers and a cell phone camera started it. :confused: :thmbdown: It is also home to two nice disc golf courses at Rooster Rock State Park and Benson State Park. I'm worried about the future of these courses, because the Columbia River Gorge is likely to look like a tree farm for the next several decades. Thoughts?

As you may know, an enormous wildfire has destroyed a large portion of the Columbia River Gorge in the past few days. It's quite the tragedy. It is a one-of-a-kind place with spectacular waterfalls, breathtaking views, and stately old Douglas firs. And to think that a couple teenagers with firecrackers and a cell phone camera started it. :confused: :thmbdown: It is also home to two nice disc golf courses at Rooster Rock State Park and Benson State Park. I'm worried about the future of these courses, because the Columbia River Gorge is likely to look like a tree farm for the next several decades. Thoughts?

Certainly sickening that such an amazing area is destroyed, but it is the circle of life. The Douglas Fir ultimately depend on fire to continue to populate that area. In a few years a different beauty will inhabit the gorge.

Rooster and benson will be fine. Dabney should also be fine as weather is cooperating. I live in North Bonneville and will try to post some video I took in my backyard. The forest will come back stronger than ever in a few years. Most people don't remember the multnomah fire in 1991 but the forest came back then and it will come back now just be a little charred for a couple seasons.

Certainly sickening that such an amazing area is destroyed, but it is the circle of life. The Douglas Fir ultimately depend on fire to continue to populate that area. In a few years a different beauty will inhabit the gorge.
So we should be thanking those kids.

They have been caught. They will be prosecuted. There's another fire burning very near Crystal Mtn which is threatening the resort and golf course there. The tournament this weekend could very well be cancelled.

Living in Portland this whole situation is heartbreaking. I'm not the type to get torn up over much but every time I see news about the fire, I get so filled with sadness and rage. It's so hard to see one of the most majestic parts of the country burning to the ground.

Every time we have a visitor we would take them out there for a hike and show them all of the amazing spots that are only a 20 minute drive from my home. Now we will be taking people to see how a group of stupid ****ing teenagers obliterated an amazing part of America. It's just...sad.

What irks me the most is that those teens are minors and will likely just get slaps on the wrist for taking away something millions of people loved for decades.

Watching the ash fall from the sky from my office and home just serves as a constant reminder to really appreciate what we have/had here.

I'm not crying, it's just really dusty in here.

It just started sprinting over here on the west side. I really hope it makes it way to you guys on the Gorge..

For inspiration, look at what happened to the mountain 40 miles north of the Gorge, and see how tragedy can become beauty in a short time.

As of Wednesday, the fire was 0% contained... Less winds today and a chance of rain at least.

Latest posts