• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet/Buzzz question

I'm testing out a Meteor in my Comet slot for this reason. They overlap a lot in the straight shot department but I can't throw a Comet into wind like a Buzzz.

Probably going to be harder to throw a Meteor into the wind than a Comet. But good luck trying it out.

For the most part people either throw the Comet or the Meteor but not typically both.

I can't throw a Comet into wind like a Buzzz.

that's because the buzzz is much more speed stable than a comet. even though they are both mids, they are vastly different discs from different eras

a meteor isn't going to solve that problem - most comet throwers have a complimentary slightly overstable mid in their bag for hyzer shots on windy days.

Ok, hear me out. Have you ever tried a Hex? They're a tick more stable than a Buzzz, have great glide, and a magic all their own.

They aren't like a Comet, but, they feel super great in the hand and fly like a dream.

Hey I have! Haha, it's a good suggestion. I would rank it in the same general stability as the Buzzz give or take, I would actually say a fresh 170 hex is less stable than a new 170 Buzzz in similar plastic or maybe just easier to keep straight. From what I've seen of some power throwers the Hex looks more likely to shape lines.

Currently my 169 hex complements my Comet, it's a nice pairing. I can FH the hex without cutting back on power and the hex has a smooth rim unlike a Roc. It's a very nice disc.

Last edited:
Hey I have! Haha, it's a good suggestion. I would rank it in the same general stability as the Buzzz give or take, I would actually say a fresh 170 hex is less stable than a new 170 Buzzz in similar plastic or maybe just easier to keep straight. From what I've seen of some power throwers the Hex looks more likely to shape lines.

Currently my 169 hex complements my Comet, it's a nice pairing. I can FH the hex without cutting back on power and the hex has a smooth rim unlike a Roc.

It's been awhile since I've thrown a Buzzz, but my Hexes feel more stable than I remember my Buzzzes were. But I'm also not a "power thrower". But yeah, I feel like the Hex can really take a wide variety of power without dramatically changing its flight. It's real real fun to throw.

It's been awhile since I've thrown a Buzzz, but my Hexes feel more stable than I remember my Buzzzes were. But I'm also not a "power thrower". But yeah, I feel like the Hex can really take a wide variety of power without dramatically changing its flight. It's real real fun to throw.

Honestly me too it's been a long while since I had them in the bag. I did have a 170 G one that was pretty freaking awesome and beaten in the laser straight but I lost it on the course one time and all the replacements I got started a way to stable or if I got them in the ESP plastic they had a very hard hookie fade at the end

The hex is the best comic compliment I've had since the tangent

Probably going to be harder to throw a Meteor into the wind than a Comet. But good luck trying it out.

For the most part people either throw the Comet or the Meteor but not typically both.

that's because the buzzz is much more speed stable than a comet. even though they are both mids, they are vastly different discs from different eras

a meteor isn't going to solve that problem - most comet throwers have a complimentary slightly overstable mid in their bag for hyzer shots on windy days.

Not to derail, but I was typically carrying two Comets and an A3, skipping the stable mid slot because between an A3 and stable Comet, I didn't throw it often. On a whim, I added a Buzzz to my bag for some wind resistance + forehand comfort, and it was too close to my straight Comet for me to want to carry both.

So now with a Buzzz and Comet, I had relegated the Comet to strictly turnover shots, and I wanted to try a faster mid that felt like a Buzzz in that role. I wasn't very clear, but I'm trying to use a Meteor instead of a flippy Comet. Who knows how long that will last though- I love Comets and Z Meteors are not very flippy out of the box.

I use 175 Comets for short and midrange hyzerflips, finesse shots, and turnovers.

Before I lost it, my max weight MJ comet was noticeably more stable, but not overstable. It had that slightly beefier feel in the hand even before I threw it. It could take 300'+ power and even a little OAT without burning, but still had that "Comet-y" magical flight.

That being said, it was still a bit different from my heavy Buzzzes, seeming a bit floaty/glidier and slightly less HSS. But it could definitely take on a ~170ish Buzzz-like role for a number of shots. The heavy comet is still different enough from my heavy Buzzzes that I just picked another one up since I like throwing it so much.

Not to derail, but I was typically carrying two Comets and an A3, skipping the stable mid slot because between an A3 and stable Comet, I didn't throw it often. On a whim, I added a Buzzz to my bag for some wind resistance + forehand comfort, and it was too close to my straight Comet for me to want to carry both.

So now with a Buzzz and Comet, I had relegated the Comet to strictly turnover shots, and I wanted to try a faster mid that felt like a Buzzz in that role. I wasn't very clear, but I'm trying to use a Meteor instead of a flippy Comet. Who knows how long that will last though- I love Comets and Z Meteors are not very flippy out of the box.
Buzzz/Meteor is a lot more natural pairing than Buzzz/Comet IMO. You throw a Buzzz and a Meteor essentially the same way and they do different things. You throw the Comet differently and it's a "holds the line you put it on" disc so if you are only using it for one thing you are not really using the disc to its full potential.

Basically to me, if you want to carry a turnover disc there are discs that only do that shot. If that's all you want a disc to do, you should probably get a disc that only is good for that. You can take a versatile discs like a Comet or QMS and you could use it only for turnovers, but that doesn't seem like the best option there. A disc like a Meteor is going to fit better with how you want your bag to set up.

I switched back over to a; Glo Z Comet, Z Buzzz, and Proline Quake mid set-up from cycling Rocs (Star/Dx). I'm finding I am missing that baseline plastic grip and feel. Looking for recommendations/preference on non-prem plastic for either mold? Thanks!

Scratch this ⬆️ haven't been able to readjust to the buzzz, so tossed the Rocs back in the bag with a glo z comet for some longevity in the lineup.

Latest posts