• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet for putting?

ZDotHalbach

Eagle Member
I was playing a one disc round with a Z Comet and for putts in the 50' range it was money! Has anyone actually tried to putt with it as a primary putter? I would think about this but I couldn't give up my Pure! Thanks!

I mess around with it. I don't ever putt with it in a round at all. It seems to be a great disc outside of 50' because it is slow and understable. It just glides and glides, my girlfriend nailed a 70 footer the other day with my Comet that just seemed to hang in the air. Honestly, if it was any other disc it was well short. That seems to be the problem though, it can be touchy in my opinion for this type of shot and the Comet seems to keep on floating. Sometimes past the target. I think a good putting disc should die out and quit gliding as to not overshoot the target. Understable discs like the comet or a beat up or understable putter rock from outside of the circle, try the comet outside of 50'. Inside of 50' I would stick to the pure.

At putting distances, i think it would fade on me. Farther than that (close approaches) i think it would be too glidey

I thought I was the only one who does this! I've been putting with my old school "planet" Comet for years. But...in certain situations i'll use my gummy Polecat, (both unpopular choices on this forum, lol) It's amazing to me how well the Comet grabs the chains.

I occasionally will putt with my buzz. I much prefer to throw my comet but the comet has too much glide for me as an out of the circle putter. Lately though I have been using a star aviar as my distance putter and my r pro aviar for 50 and in.

^^^ LOL!

Do you hope to one day become elite? If so, use a putter. If this is recreational, then who cares.

Anything outside of 30 and under 100 I'm reaching for my Star Mako and its money for me. So, as I am wont to say, do what works best for you! Mako works for me, but not for my frequent partners. Perhaps your situation is the same...or maybe you just discovered the new hottness!

Don't listen to what anyone says about "if you wanna be pro, use a putter". Go take 50 putts with a comet, and 50 with a putter. If you make more with the comet...use the comet. It's common sense.

My buddy mostly drives with his Ion and only putts with a valkyrie. He makes more putts than I could dream of.