• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Haha, wasn't that when they were still doing the limited ESP runs, then shortly after it went to regular production? I bought a handfull, too, then suddenly they were everywhere, lol.

I remember thinking, "Dammit, Discraft!" The production run was flat so I wasn't too upset. Now I'm waiting for the Saturn stamp to return so my handful of "1 out of 100" Big Zs become throwers too.

I'm constantly flipping between my Mako3 and my Comet. Sway me.

Easy the Comet can be used as an approach disc easier then the Mako 3 can as the Comet has more of the putter glide especially if made as a more domed disc then flat in X more then anything. the flat in Z or ESP is great for a midrange disc. That is how I use the Shark/3 top molds but I do know that the Comet would be more US then a Shark in all plastic types, just look for a low dome almost flat top Comet for midrange shots the way I use a Shark 3 and a domed Comet for a Shark for approach shots, windy day putter and and try it for a driving putter slot.

What little I got to throw it in the front yard before the rain set in, it flies like a Comet. Maybe a touch more Las.

Odd feeling in the hand. It feels both slight and grippy at the same time when it was wet. It confused me, I am at a loss.

The flight plate is more flexible than most of the regular Zs, but this is my first Cryztal Comet, so maybe that's normal.

I do think that Discraft may be running behind, this is the first disc I have ever gotten with some flashing left on it. It was mil and came off easily though.

Not for sure if it's going to make my bag, bit it sure is pretty.

Attachments

• 20190408_185212.jpg
    20190408_185212.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190408_184835.jpg
    20190408_184835.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190408_184859.jpg
    20190408_184859.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 36
Good week

Two arrived Saturday while I was out of town, and another Tuesday. Unfortunately Ive been too busy to even get out and field test one.

I might have several more on the way too after one was immediately claimed by the girlfriend for her bag. She's wanted to buy sooo many pretty sparkle discs only for me to tell her they're not a good choice for at this point in her game. She was very excited for something this "pretty" that is also a disc she can actually use😄

Attachments

• E344A195-489E-4BE1-BF69-AB1A858FD570.jpg
    E344A195-489E-4BE1-BF69-AB1A858FD570.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 73
Can anyone comment on the lifecycle of X comets? Mine are domey but with a flat plateau across the center about the diameter of a softball.

They start surprisingly stable with smooth form. Would like to beat them to a point of consistent turn.

Can anyone comment on the lifecycle of X comets? Mine are domey but with a flat plateau across the center about the diameter of a softball.

They start surprisingly stable with smooth form. Would like to beat them to a point of consistent turn.

My first X Comet from 2012(13?) is still alive and kicking. It's flippy...but the good kind of slow turn and float right from a hyzer release. So...they will last.

My first X Comet from 2012(13?) is still alive and kicking. It's flippy...but the good kind of slow turn and float right from a hyzer release. So...they will last.

Same here, although I didn't add one to the bag until maybe 2015 or 2016. Mine has taken a decent beating and flips, but it's a slow/late turn and floaty glide to the right. It doesn't suddenly burn over like some discs will when they are beat.

One of my favorite shots is a standstill flat release with the X Comet, it will gradually float to the right for about 200' without a ton of effort. It's also great for uphill shots, I'll throw it like a normal mid and it will fly pretty straight. I haven't felt the need to slot in a more stable one.

so is it domey or just a raised shoulder

Yeah mine is like that and started out surprisingly stable. Like 4/5/0/1 or so, consistently would hold any angle and you'd have to start it on anny to get it to go right. I feel like it took a year for it to be -0 for the HSS where on a flat release it would just start to drift. At 2 years it's 4/5/-1/0 so it needs to be released with hyzer to go straight and it will definitely drift right slight hyzer to flat release. At this point I can actually trust that it will go right on its own.

It took a lot longer than I thought to get to this turnover point, X plastic is durable. If you want a turnover Comet right away, if I were to do it again, I would add a flatter Comet like a flat ESP or something like that to the bag right away. The super trusty straight shot that your X is likely doing now is still very useful, but a flat Comet will flip from hyzer much easier than waiting a year+. Also that will make your current stable Comet stay in that place for longer because you won't be trying to beat it in.

Yeah mine is like that and started out surprisingly stable. Like 4/5/0/1 or so, consistently would hold any angle and you'd have to start it on anny to get it to go right. I feel like it took a year for it to be -0 for the HSS where on a flat release it would just start to drift. At 2 years it's 4/5/-1/0 so it needs to be released with hyzer to go straight and it will definitely drift right slight hyzer to flat release. At this point I can actually trust that it will go right on its own.

It took a lot longer than I thought to get to this turnover point, X plastic is durable. If you want a turnover Comet right away, if I were to do it again, I would add a flatter Comet like a flat ESP or something like that to the bag right away. The super trusty straight shot that your X is likely doing now is still very useful, but a flat Comet will flip from hyzer much easier than waiting a year+. Also that will make your current stable Comet stay in that place for longer because you won't be trying to beat it in.

Ever tried flattening an X comet? Just curious, I figure one could artificially manufacture some flippiness, although it could kill the glide.

I have a slightly flatter ESP, about 170g, a little less reliable due in part to the weight I imagine. Would really like a heavier, beat X for my turnovers.

Ever tried flattening an X comet? Just curious, I figure one could artificially manufacture some flippiness, although it could kill the glide.

I have a slightly flatter ESP, about 170g, a little less reliable due in part to the weight I imagine. Would really like a heavier, beat X for my turnovers.

Honestly I wouldn't go down that route. When I got my X I was kind of disappointed I couldn't get those turnover shots I bought it for, that I had thrown automatically when I tried other peoples' Comets. It took way longer to get it to flip than I ever expected. But I kind of miss that perfectly straight line holding shot that I used to have with it, too.

So I really don't think it's worth messing with that disc. Get another Comet that better suits that turnover shot, try gelling with the ESP you have, etc. The X has a long wonderful lifespan and you'll also throw it better when it flips if you've spent months or years getting it there and trusting it. In the meantime it still can do those "wow what was that" shots for dead straight or the longest tailwind sweep hyzers possible.

FWIW I have beat the crap out of stable-OS discs like fairways or drivers to get them to do what I want sooner, and would definitely do it again. But I would not do that with the X Comet personally. It just flies so good at all stages, and I wouldn't doubt that you could do something weird to it compared to a beefy driver that you're just trying to get to flex out more.

There's definitely something weird about artificially beating in discs. They just don't seem to have the nice seasoned flight most of the time (at least in my experience)

The X Comet is a great flyer, and will be for many years, if you let it happen naturally.

There's definitely something weird about artificially beating in discs. They just don't seem to have the nice seasoned flight most of the time (at least in my experience)

The X Comet is a great flyer, and will be for many years, if you let it happen naturally.

The best way to "artificially beat in" a disc is to simply hold it and flex the rim up and down as you watch TV or something. Not like a really stiff bend and hold or anything, just move around the wing and flex it up and down gently. It's a really slow, gentle process for "seasoning" in a disc artificially. You can accelerate it by bending downward more often than upwards. This is definitely a better way than flattening or popping a dome, in my opinion, or filing a disc down on pavement (beyond just removing flashing, which shouldn't be there anyway)

But yeah, it will never 100% simulate abrasions or larger wing deformations that come with natural play.

Gonna go test mine and the new Sparkles soon! Have you thrown it yet? Only get one?

I'd love to hear how the Sparkles fly...

Yeah, got in the mail yesterday...weather's not cooperating but hopefully will test it out this week. I'm expecting it to fly pretty similar to a 2018 ESP Comet I have (pretty damn straight).

The Sparkles (high shoulder eventually flat) are the most domey of all the Comets I own, aside from maybe one of the swirly ESP "Sweet & Simples" I got. My one MJ Glo ESP is my most used and currently bagged Comet (7/10 178), more stable than my flatter ESPs and four average shoulder to eventually flat Zs/Glow Z. Two of my SSwirlys were on par with the Sparkles as far as stability, two of them were about equal to my MJ Glo ESP, and one was like my most flat ESPs that are lighter (172ish). All of the others mentioned are 177-180...I decided to not include my one 166 ESP in the conversation.

My two Sparkles have the worst glide of the lot and felt clunky. They'r both brand new so I'm sure they'll season well but off the shelf it was noticeable they just weren't "a Comet" so to speak. Regardless of the variations in the SSwirlys I felt more in tune with all five of them immediately and all five had more glide than the Sparkles. Between the least and most stable SSwirlys the glides were comparable to flatter ESP, domier Z, and shoulder to flat MJ Glo ESP.

Golf line distance the flatter ESPs and less stable SSwirlys consistently landed 20'ish longer than the others, I was generally throwing in a slight R>L tail/crosswind BH with a slight hyzer release. Most throws were in the 370'-390' range.

Then I played a local 9 pitch and putt with the two Sparkles, two 172ish flat ESPs, and the MJ. Birdied most of the holes with four of the five, had a couple of ace runs for sure. If you're aware of the slight nuances between plastics/weights/domes/etc. then the differences are minimal. For those particular ****ers I tried to be specific! Happy to answer any questions.

SSwirlys #1
SSwirlys #2
Sparkle Comparison

My two Sparkles have the worst glide of the lot and felt clunky. They'r both brand new so I'm sure they'll season well but off the shelf it was noticeable they just weren't "a Comet" so to speak.

I agree, very un-Comet-like. My one CryZtal sparkle flys more Roc-ish but with low glide.

The very high shoulder, slick plastic and flexible top make it very had to grip backhand.

The lack of glide makes it very easy to flick.... but I don't have the room in my bag for a flick shot only that sits between my Wasp and Envy.

It's too pretty to trade though...

Latest posts