• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

2.5 is the rating Discraft put on the Drone. I've had some OS Rocs, but none that were that OS!

My "1" Roc is a flat Z 177+ Wasp and my "4" and "5" Rocs are Z and X Comets respectively. I figured a Roc cycler like yourself would've known what I meant. A "2" Roc for me is a fresh KC and a "3" is a seasoned DX, to give you a better idea of what I'm looking for.

My "1" Roc is a flat Z 177+ Wasp and my "4" and "5" Rocs are Z and X Comets respectively. I figured a Roc cycler like yourself would've known what I meant. A "2" Roc for me is a fresh KC and a "3" is a seasoned DX, to give you a better idea of what I'm looking for.
Ahhhhhh, I see.
I've never assigned numbers to my stages but the concept makes sense!
You're a smart guy, ILUVSMGS18!

Lol. I think we made that numbering system up in the mythical Roc thread; I tried explaining it to people IRL and they all thought I needed professional help.

Ahhhhhh, I see.
I've never assigned numbers to my stages but the concept makes sense!
You're a smart guy, ILUVSMGS18!
It's based on the simple concept that the correct number of Rocs in your bag is five; your OS Roc is your 1 and your turnover Roc is your 5 and so on.

I'll argue to the death that the correct number of Rocs in the bag is five, but I only carry four Comets. I don't have a 1; I only have the 2-5. I cheat and use a Sentinel for the 1.

It's based on the simple concept that the correct number of Rocs in your bag is five; your OS Roc is your 1 and your turnover Roc is your 5 and so on.

I'll argue to the death that the correct number of Rocs in the bag is five, but I only carry four Comets. I don't have a 1; I only have the 2-5. I cheat and use a Sentinel for the 1.

Samesies!
The #1 Roc is the one that I leave out most often. I just don't throw overstable stuff very often.
Every once in a while I'll bag a RocX3, Caiman, Gator, Drone, whatever... but they rarely ever get thrown.

The most thrown overstable disc for me would be a putter like my beefy Champ Rhyno. OS mids, fairways, or distance drivers just don't get airtime for me.

Exactly. I need the DC equivalent for a "2.5", since for some reason, DC mids work better for me (I have no idea why, but my Wasp and Comets are $$$, while my Rocs are ¢¢¢. They work just fine, but they aren't on the same level for some reason.

Samesies!
The #1 Roc is the one that I leave out most often. I just don't throw overstable stuff very often.
Every once in a while I'll bag a RocX3, Caiman, Gator, Drone, whatever... but they rarely ever get thrown.

The most thrown overstable disc for me would be a putter like my beefy Champ Rhyno. OS mids, fairways, or distance drivers just don't get airtime for me.
This is bad, so don't tell anybody. I found a Champ Viper in a used bin. Lol, Champ Viper. It was so dumb I had to buy it. It's really dumb to have in the bag. Damn it, it's super fun to throw. They are super reliable and easy to range. It takes the 1 Roc and the Banshee out of my bag, and those are long-term staples of my bag. Stupid Viper. The only saving grace is the stamp was wiped so nobody really knows what that red disc I throw is.

This is bad, so don't tell anybody. I found a Champ Viper in a used bin. Lol, Champ Viper. It was so dumb I had to buy it. It's really dumb to have in the bag. Damn it, it's super fun to throw. They are super reliable and easy to range. It takes the 1 Roc and the Banshee out of my bag, and those are long-term staples of my bag. Stupid Viper. The only saving grace is the stamp was wiped so nobody really knows what that red disc I throw is.

Damn 3P nice shot. What was that you just threw?

Hmm now this thread made me go back and search the Roc thread to see the setups you guys are all running. It's funny because I have carried 5 mids for a long time, and it always seems like a lot compared to the people I play with. I originally started throwing the Comet because I lost my #5 Roc, and wanted something that could get there quickly. I'm thinking soon I will have the following setup:

#1: Caiman
#2: Fresh(ish) DX Roc or Gravity Ghost
#3: Seasoned (Borderline Beat) DX Roc or Gravity Ghost
#4: Fresh Comet
#5: Seasoned Comet

Got my two Sparkles! My MJ Glo ESP is in my car and I'm lazy but I'm assuming these are around the same stability. Won't get to throw them until Tuesday:|

Compared to a current run heavy Z high shoulder>flat they're both slightly higher PLH. Compared to a heavy average shoulder>flat current run ESP they're both definitely higher PLH. They're also both equally if not more domey than my one MJ (flat where the stamp is). Seem identical to me, one is green with silver flakes (couple blue I see) scaled at 178 even, the other is pink with silver/red/pink/purple/blue flakes scaled at 179.5 FWIW.

Decided to leave the images full size:

Both #1
Both #2
Green up close
Pink up close (not perfect)

Last edited:
^Those look awesome. Mine is supposed to he here Tues

I can't stop touching it them:D

It's subtle but the flakes definitely affect (sp? this one always gets me) the grip/feel. Not quite smooth like the other countless Z I've felt and/or owned.

I'm constantly flipping between my Mako3 and my Comet. Sway me.

I threw the Buzzz for what, the past decade? My last ace with one was 2013 IIRC, and I still have a barstamp (wasp tooled) I got autographed personally by four top names in the sport. I also own double digit Buzzz'...the Mako3 was a joke compared to the Buzzz after a good 80-100 throws.

I threw one Buzzz one time in the past 25ish rounds. I own zero Comets below 7/10. Just sayin'

EDIT: I hit a tree early and it was an awful look. Saved bogie with a miraculous third shot.

THE COMET SUCKS DON'T THROW THEM. DON'T WASTE MONEY ON DISCS I TOTALLY WON'T BUY.

Last edited:
I threw the Buzzz for what, the past decade? My last ace with one was 2013 IIRC, and I still have a barstamp (wasp tooled) I got autographed personally by four top names in the sport. I also own double digit Buzzz'...the Mako3 was a joke compared to the Buzzz after a good 80-100 throws.

I threw one Buzzz one time in the past 25ish rounds. I own zero Comets below 7/10. Just sayin'

EDIT: I hit a tree early and it was an awful look. Saved bogie with a miraculous third shot.

THE COMET SUCKS DON'T THROW THEM. DON'T WASTE MONEY ON DISCS I TOTALLY WON'T BUY.

I don't throw the buzz, it doesn't fill a slot in my bag, and is way more stable than a Mako3 or Comet. I like the Mako3 and Comet for Touch shots. Typically use my Mako3 when I need a little more torque, and Comet for slower shots. Would like to try to stick to one mold in different plastics/stability though. But maybe I should just keep both in my bag... Ugh.

I was comparing beat Buzzz to fresh Mako3. You do you my friend!

Back to the Comet:)

It's not just my first X Comet...it's my first Comet.

I actually bulked ordered my 3rd run ESPs from Discraft directly because I couldn't find anyone willing to sell me a second run

Haha, wasn't that when they were still doing the limited ESP runs, then shortly after it went to regular production? I bought a handfull, too, then suddenly they were everywhere, lol.