• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Comet family picture. In regard to the JB Comets, they're a fairly new thing, so that's why there's not much info on them.

40f3e7919df2abec8ec3a1845a2f238f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM'd

Anyone have any experience with TI comets?

I've only thrown the original run of Ti Comets from Ledgestone a few years back. In my experience, they fall between the flat esp's and the current swirly MJ's in terms of stability. They have a similar hand feel like the current run of Comet's.

My new Jawbreaker Comets came in the mail this weekend (pictured below), and I think it's going to become my new go-to Comet until it gets super beat up. It's a touch less stable than my Z Glo or newish ESP Comets, but more stable than my X and beat-up Ti Comets (all max weight). It still flips up easily (as expected) and seems to have more fade than any of my other Comets when not fully turned over, so I was able to pull off a ridiculously accurate 270-ish ft hyzerflip, which got me excited enough to want to make it my primary. The Jawbreaker plastic is medium firmness and smooth yet super tacky, and I am curious to see how quickly it gets beat up by collisions.

b8jXQiz.jpg

Nice. Those jawbreakers look sweet. Just got myself a ledgestone TI and have a fly dyed z on the way. Still on the lookout for a nice looking '18 esp in a lower weight.

I'm trying to buy the hype but my star Cobras are great for me. I play mostly wooded courses.

I'm trying to buy the hype but my star Cobras are great for me. I play mostly wooded courses.
I wouldn't give up a perfectly good mid that was working for me to try another disc. I mean if you were throwing mid shots with a Roadrunner I'd say give the Comet a try, but a Cobra? You already have your mid.

Yeah I just wanted to see what all the hype was about and my Cobras just are better feeling and can do anything IMO

Yeah I just wanted to see what all the hype was about and my Cobras just are better feeling and can do anything IMO

I bag both. Comets are "one line" shots usually, while the Cobras are for "two line" shots and rollers. Comets can fly higher lines without risking not turning enough/too dumpy of a fade, and Cobras I can punch through on lower lines. Many different uses for both though it's definitely not a necessity to have both in any persons bag. Different strokes and all that.

PM me if you wanna hear more Cobra (and Comet) talk!

After I got the use 1 disc talk after starting out with bosses and Katanas haha, I picked the Cobra and did everything with it. That was the DX. Now the Stars I have remind me of the love I got for the Cobra.

Comets fly nice and straight, nothing bad about them. I just wondered why so many people were in love with a disc so I tried it. I will continue to keep try it to see if something I like is there, but I only like to bag 8 to 10 discs.

I threw a Comet this weekend for the first time in years and almost aced the hole.
I gotta get me one.

(I also love Cobras and could see a spot for both in a bigger bag. I agree with Grip's comparisons of the two discs.)

I could easily see me bagging one in time just because I like the straight flat shot, even more so I LOVE throwing Annys and Turnover shots as well.

Weird to say but I like courses where it seems like a lefty designed it. I throw RHBH always and if I must a FH shot (getting better! But still suck lol)

I could easily see me bagging one in time just because I like the straight flat shot, even more so I LOVE throwing Annys and Turnover shots as well.

Weird to say but I like courses where it seems like a lefty designed it. I throw RHBH always and if I must a FH shot (getting better! But still suck lol)

This is pretty much me.

This is pretty much me.

My beaten to death GL River is my go to for most shots until recently I've found the Star Cobra is much more stable than Dx. The Comet reminds me of a slower River which is why I do like it.

Well I was scanning through to see who it was that said fly dye Z was awesome.. But sorry man I can't remember, either way thanks! My pop top fly dye Z is awesome it's breaking in beautifully. Still a little more turn resistant but mellowing in to wicked glide.. I'm getting some easy turn out of it now and appreciating the domey Comet a lot more than I used to.

I've played a few two disc "one disc" rounds head to head and it is consistently winning largely due to putting like a plasma envy of similar light weight but also because I'm hitting my lines, more with a tight S than a flat laser. Drop in birds..

My beaten to death GL River is my go to for most shots until recently I've found the Star Cobra is much more stable than Dx. The Comet reminds me of a slower River which is why I do like it.

I throw old DX Ontario mold Cobras, just picked up a Star Cobra and am surprised how much I love that thing.
I'm still going to get a Comet, I've always loved watching them fly but in the pass they never quite fit with my grip, this one (slow anny that held the line) was no problem.

So from the comparisons I'm reading, a Cobra is the closest thing outside of an Ontario Roc to an Innova Comet?

I throw old DX Ontario mold Cobras, just picked up a Star Cobra and am surprised how much I love that thing.
I'm still going to get a Comet, I've always loved watching them fly but in the pass they never quite fit with my grip, this one (slow anny that held the line) was no problem.

The grip to me is what I dont like too much on the Comet. I feel like it will slip easier than most discs I use

So from the comparisons I'm reading, a Cobra is the closest thing outside of an Ontario Roc to an Innova Comet?

Eh, na. This is a very loose analogy but think TB/EX and beat TB/beat EX. New Comets will be very straight (though their HSS differs from TBs) with some fade, and when they beat they can develope some turn and lose some fade. New Cobras are like a new EX, little turn and some fade for sure. More beat and they turn more but still hang onto that fade like an EX would. Even my 4-5/10 Cobras fade given enough height - I don't have a Comet that beat but I would assume they would not fade anywhere near the way a Cobra would.

You could absolutely utilize a Cobra instead of an Ontario Roc or Comet, but all three molds must be thrown and controlled in different yet similar manners.

The grip to me is what I dont like too much on the Comet. I feel like it will slip easier than most discs I use

That was also my problem with them in the past, this one didn't feel like that. The person I borrowed it from has thrown them a long time and said there's nothing different, but it sure felt like there was.