• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

So I threw the heck out of my 21 MJ Z comet on the weekend! Fared well in the tourney, It only let me down once when it went too straight, well and the the time it went a little far.. And there was the time it missed the line but went dead straight down a tunnel a few feet right but that was a good birdie! Well a little greasy but a bird's a bird.

That's the thing with comets, even when they are bad, they are still better than anything else.

So I didn't check any US retailers but one of my regular haunts online up here just restocked a few MJ 21 Z's so I ordered another one.

Who knows maybe they found a box they didn't open, maybe discraft made a few more...

So I didn't check any US retailers but one of my regular haunts online up here just restocked a few MJ 21 Z's so I ordered another one.

Who knows maybe they found a box they didn't open, maybe discraft made a few more...

Dude. I just bought those FR Xcals, you're killing me. I need to start blocking sites I can buy discs from lol

Dude. I just bought those FR Xcals, you're killing me. I need to start blocking sites I can buy discs from lol

Ha yeah, I've been trying to hold off waiting for the October MVP releases, I have a few things I want to back up like my soft electron envy and my light fission Volt.. I was looking through checking the recently restocked items... when I saw that Comet that tipped the scales for another $100 in discs...

Got a blue one with gold stamp this time.

A local PIAS got one MJ Comet in a discraft order last week. I thought it was too slick so I passed.

A local PIAS got one MJ Comet in a discraft order last week. I thought it was too slick so I passed.

I like em, it's not much different from Z but I'd say a touch more grip and flex.

I've been so confident with that disc all summer. It was key to my tournament win... of course any time you are confident and throwing a Comet primarily off the tee it's bound to be a recipe for success. I even had a low ace, kind of. It wasn't an ace but it got a yell from the people that didn't see it, it shook the bottom of the pin loud... which also helped psyche out the other group.

It's been in the yard box a lot. Of course I got it used and haven't tried a fresh one yet but I've been backing up. I think I have 4 now. :D. I really like that run, one. Haha

I think I know why my '20 swirl Z got flippy - comparing it to the fresh one, the dome dropped down at some point. It still has a good shoulder to it, but it's flat from the shoulder.

That being said the '20 swirly Z has grown on me a lot, I wish I had more of them. I like them better than this years.

So.... We all know how I support flat top comets... well I got a lucid Bounty with a custom stamp, basket fundraiser kinda deal. The numbers and feel are very Comet-esque but with no dome. Kinda like a buzzz top on a Comet bottom.

If I hadn't thrown comets for the last decade this would seem more similar to me, but it's a little squirrelly on a touch of anhyzer. It's hard to know how much power it will take to turn it. It does a tremendous job of going dead straight and sort of doesn't have the same possible s action of the comet. On my steep downhill im reverse if it's going to turn or fade huge.

Passable but the ridiculous flat top is not my preference. Unwanted y'all to know :)

Mine's missing :\

As usual managed to throw right of target and when it *needs* to hit a tree it never does. Kinda was getting too dark to search well plus red disc, red leaves :|

What's the consensus on the '21 metallic z MJ comets? Are they a bit more stable than normal z?

I've thrown two, both max weight, and based on that sample I would say they are pretty similar to a normal Z in flight. My red one was a bit more understable, like a typical ESP; my blue one is a nice stable Comet but nothing out of the ordinary range of Z Comets.

Goodbye daylight savings time; hello glow golf.

picture.php

What's the consensus on the '21 metallic z MJ comets? Are they a bit more stable than normal z?
If anything they are a little less stable. The ones I have are actually as HSS as a normal Z with a bit less fade and really good glide. I really liked the '21 MJ's; they fly like a Comet should.

Had my worst Comet day since I started bagging them, feelsbad.jpg

My only good throws with it (550ish par 4 through the woods) smacked a tree and shot off into some terrible rough. On another hole hit a guardian < 300' stopping an ace run and a missed putt for par.

Hope your Comet game is better than mine was today.

Gaga for Comets

I've gotten some real gems on the facebooks recently.

A guy on facebook was selling off a bunch of old Comets and I picked up two red and a yellow. One red and the one yellow having Gaga dye jobs. Much more stable than the esp's I've been using for longer comet throws. The yellow especially can really handle some power.

Attachments

• 43294991-972C-440E-BC43-06EF9350D9A5.jpg
    43294991-972C-440E-BC43-06EF9350D9A5.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 32
  • F402CCC1-5449-467A-ABFD-8897F89E3777.jpg
    F402CCC1-5449-467A-ABFD-8897F89E3777.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 28
I've gotten some real gems on the facebooks recently.

A guy on facebook was selling off a bunch of old Comets and I picked up two red and a yellow. One red and the one yellow having Gaga dye jobs. Much more stable than the esp's I've been using for longer comet throws. The yellow especially can really handle some power.
Lol...were those Frank D's? I remember he had a yellow X-Stamp Z Comet that he wiped the stamp off of and dyed; I thought he was crazy since he wiped the coolest part of the disc for a dumb dye.

Actually that wasn't nearly the only reason I thought he was crazy, but... He could throw the **** out of a Comet, though.

Lol...were those Frank D's? I remember he had a yellow X-Stamp Z Comet that he wiped the stamp off of and dyed; I thought he was crazy since he wiped the coolest part of the disc for a dumb dye.

Actually that wasn't nearly the only reason I thought he was crazy, but... He could throw the **** out of a Comet, though.

I couldn't remember who posted them originally, or which Comet thread it was in, but yeah I do think it was Frank D. he was unloading a bunch of older Comets, teebirds, and predators. Many of them with some crazy dye jobs

I couldn't remember who posted them originally, or which Comet thread it was in, but yeah I do think it was Frank D. he was unloading a bunch of older Comets, teebirds, and predators. Many of them with some crazy dye jobs
He popped up recently on a Millennium facebook group that I'm in selling some old SOLF's and such, so it occurred to me that he probably sold the Comets as well.

A lot of the old DGR crowd confuse me. They were super-duper geeked out into disc golf and then? DGDave plays rhythm guitar in a Motörhead-ish sounding band and doesn't really play disc golf anymore. Frank D. went off the grid and stopped playing disc golf. Those guys posted like 100 times a day on DGR back in the late '00's. How do you go from that to not playing? I've scaled back a bunch the amount of time I spend on disc golf; I don't run events or leagues and I'm not a club officer anymore and I never ever play in organized events, but I play disc golf twice a week. I can't imagine not playing at all if I'm still physically able to.

I mean, it's fun. Right? It's supposed to be fun. :|

Ahh the DGR days

He popped up recently on a Millennium facebook group that I'm in selling some old SOLF's and such, so it occurred to me that he probably sold the Comets as well.

A lot of the old DGR crowd confuse me. They were super-duper geeked out into disc golf and then? DGDave plays rhythm guitar in a Motörhead-ish sounding band and doesn't really play disc golf anymore. Frank D. went off the grid and stopped playing disc golf. Those guys posted like 100 times a day on DGR back in the late '00's. How do you go from that to not playing? I've scaled back a bunch the amount of time I spend on disc golf; I don't run events or leagues and I'm not a club officer anymore and I never ever play in organized events, but I play disc golf twice a week. I can't imagine not playing at all if I'm still physically able to.

I mean, it's fun. Right? It's supposed to be fun. :|

I started playing in '06 and found DGR and the articles while searching for instruction on learning to throw backhand. Throwing sidearm almost exclusively with poor form was wreaking havoc on my elbow. The training assignments in the forum and Blake's articles and posts were a huge help. DGR's love for the Comet was what made purchase my first. It was suggested as an OAT detector.

Come to think of it my bag is still full of DGR hyped molds like the Wizard/Comet/Predator. Never got into the SOLF, didn't really like Roc's either. I ended up pairing the Wasp and then the BuzzOS as an overstable compliment to my Comets.