• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

MJ Comet is still in the bag and I'm loving it. Awesome disc for dead straight shots and holds every angle I put it on. It truly is awesome for navigating around the trees and gaps. Especially great for long sweeping hyzers where it just kinda pushes forward on a really mellow hyzer line...wants to stay afloat and keeps that line like a dream.
Been using it a lot for shorter approaches too where I usually use a putter. Just let it go on a really smooth toss and it just floats to the target.
Now where are those 2022 MJ tour series Comets so I can grab one?

Yeah went ahead and bought the Ledgestone one (Metallic Z) and it is pretty much a copy of the 2021 MJ tour series one. Me gusta!

Just bought a Big Z Comet. Holy crap this thing is the most stable Comet I've ever thrown. Amazing. It almost doesn't turn at all unless I absolutely rip on it.

Same for me. I picked up one yesterday. It's flat, stiff, and noticeably faster and more stable than either of my Z. Curious as to how it will change with time.

As much as it was (somewhat) not advised, I went ahead and ordered one of the Ledgestone Cryztal Comets on the 4th, of course they just shipped it yesterday, but I'm supposed to get it sometime tomorrow. I'm going to do some field testing with it against an old Elite X, old Z fly dye, moon stamp Z-glo, ESP, and 2021 tour series. The weights are all between 175-177. I'm gonna get some video as I want to work on my form anyway, so I'll post it if I can figure out how. My expectations are low based on all the previous responses I got about them lol

I would likely be throwing a Z Comet over a Buzzz SS right now, but my Z Comet drilled a tree and the wing has permanently warped downward. This is after a hot water bath and sitting overnight on a flat surface. Absolutely bizarre, one of two molds I have ever encountered that don't hold up in premium.

Every other flavor of Comet was just not consistent enough for me.

I would likely be throwing a Z Comet over a Buzzz SS right now, but my Z Comet drilled a tree and the wing has permanently warped downward. This is after a hot water bath and sitting overnight on a flat surface. Absolutely bizarre, one of two molds I have ever encountered that don't hold up in premium.

Weird unicorn disc; I've got 1,000's of tree hits on my oldest Z Comet and it's fine.

I do find Z Comets are susceptible to warping on direct tree hits since the relatively thin rim and large diameter result in lower rigidity. Perhaps it's user error since Comets aren't meant to be thrown that hard.

No Comet queen here, honest question (though I do love them!)

Why can't you throw a warped rimmed disc? Have you tried throwing it and seeing if the flight is truly different? People used to LOVE when their putters started to "clover top" and some of my favorite discs don't rest flat. US throwing putter is a now puddletopped Gravity Clutch that started board flat. Case and point this 30ish year old Cobra that's been to hell and back, and still has fade (if wanted).

EDIT: bought it sharpied, I'd never do this abomination of "art" to a Circle Stamp Ontario Cobra
Aht8xPP.jpg

No Comet queen here, honest question (though I do love them!)

Why can't you throw a warped rimmed disc? Have you tried throwing it and seeing if the flight is truly different? People used to LOVE when their putters started to "clover top" and some of my favorite discs don't rest flat. US throwing putter is a now puddletopped Gravity Clutch that started board flat. Case and point this 30ish year old Cobra that's been to hell and back, and still has fade (if wanted).

EDIT: bought it sharpied, I'd never do this abomination of "art" to a Circle Stamp Ontario Cobra
Aht8xPP.jpg

Clovering on top doesn't bother me in the least but a warped rim is no bueno for me. I don't care if it flies the same, I'll feel it and it will bug me. Thankfully I've never had a Z Comet change shape. I quit throwing D line Quakes because 3 of them got warped rims in short order. I even got my first (only) ace on one of them.

I also have not experienced warp-age.. Is this the new run? I haven't bought a Z in 8+ years except the metallic Z... they last too long haha. Was it excessively warm that day?

Clovering on top doesn't bother me in the least but a warped rim is no bueno for me. I don't care if it flies the same, I'll feel it and it will bug me. Thankfully I've never had a Z Comet change shape. I quit throwing D line Quakes because 3 of them got warped rims in short order. I even got my first (only) ace on one of them.

Rotate the disc a couple degrees;)

Obligatory:

Literally every Sentinel I've thrown has a bent rim.

Every XD I've thrown has a bent rim.

I've got a lot of Rocs with bent rims that fly just fine.

I used to bend the rims on Cyclones and that really did effect the flight quite a bit, but I just put more hyzer on 'em and kept going.

I currently have a Firebird in my bag with a large gouge of plastic missing on the wing; it's still fading so I'm still throwing it.

Basically once a disc is in my bag, it takes a lot to get it out.

I don't care if it flies the same, I'll feel it and it will bug me.
Don't grab it there, then. :|

The hunk of plastic missing from the wing of my Firebird bugs me every time I pull it out of the bag, but I think of it like my civic duty. The disc has throws left. No one in their right mind would take it and throw it. It's up to me to let the dumb ugly thing fly.

Aht8xPP.jpg
I'm guilty of all sorts of sharpie shenanigans on stock-stamped golf discs from that era; almost all of my Cyclones looked like this:

picture.php

I mean, they were just golf discs. Who was ever going to care?