• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Okay, to rephrase then; what are some of the most sought out Comets - for both collectors and throwers?
The holy grail Comet is the blue Ron Russell Z Comets. People get confused over the white signature Ron Russell Comets; those were just regular old Tournament Pro Comets and not a big deal at all. The blue Z RR Comets are the shizzle.

Those fugly pond scum green GLO Z Comets are collectable.

The Red Z Comets with the X Comet stamp would be up there. The Yellow ones as well I guess, but the red ones were the ones from that batch.

Pretty much any of the three runs of LE ESP Comets would still have to be collectable. I like the no tooling 3rd runs as throwers, but there was no real consensus I could find one which ones people liked the best as throwers. They were all good runs.

Walled Lake-tooled Z Comets are off the radar and not collectable at all, but people looking for throwers should have eyes on them. They are the earliest of the circle stamp Z runs. The ones that have the weight written on the wing were an outstanding run for throwers.

X Comets with both the old Saturn stamp and the old X Comet stamp get cool points in your bag.

The MJ Comet run that seems to have legs are the '18 meatball MJ's.

Also I think there was a run of Big Z that had the Saturn stamp; I bet you could get somebody to pay for that stamp.

Also I think there was a run of Big Z that had the Saturn stamp; I bet you could get somebody to pay for that stamp.

Haha some people have paid for that stamp :D.. At least twice over haha. It'sa decent thrower, durable with a flash of the past on top. Kinda lower dome, so nothing different from my other big Z except for the cool stamp.

The ESP's pfn's are all good.. I also prefer my 3rd run, good dome and a wicked dye job which of course makes it fly so much better, or at least get thrown more. My 1st or second run esp 172 has the flight of an elite X.. But it's taken a licking and pretty much still 95 percent intact. (7.5-8/10 w/ink)

Last edited:
The Red Z Comets with the X Comet stamp would be up there. The Yellow ones as well I guess, but the red ones were the ones from that batch.

Aaaaand just sold one of those.

Still have one in the bag, hit metal with it a few days back:thmbup:

Just out of curiosity, what would be considered the most coveted Comet?

I have a large Comet collection, have most of the discs mentioned in this thread. Me, I'd say the #1 of 100 in the Ron Russell signed series. :)

picture.php

Aaaaand just sold one of those.

Still have one in the bag, hit metal with it a few days back:thmbup:

And it's the only disc I can seem to rely on right now! Laced a 270' tunnel shot that bends slightly to the right, and had a 35' comebacker for 2, and went long on a 280' hole that needs to be really straight with a gentle fade at the end. I think it's my favorite thrower at this point, and I've never really liked Z Comets. I'm starting to think that my thrower Comets have to be orange/red at this point...but I love the look of pink ones.

Got the 4 esp comets I bought from OTB yesterday. Pretty flat compared to the last run of ESP from a few years ago. But the colors... so happy to have bright comets again instead of the pastel purples and blues from the last run.

Threw one probably a dozen times during a round yesterday. Doesn't flip really, has a decent fade when it slows down. I'm curious what others have to say when people get their hands on them.

Ordered some of the MJ comets that's will be here next week. I'm assuming they will be the same but hoping for more dome and more turn.

Mail call!

picture.php

Of course I'm out of town, so I won't have one in hand until the weekend. :\

Got mine too. One of them had a lot of splay along the top rim of the flight plate, called Discraft, they're sending me one gratis, guy I talked to said "use that one for water holes."

These are the colors I got. They feel good in hand, other than the splaying on the yellow one, but I figure I'll bag that one and it'll wear away after a few rounds in the woods.

Attachments

• Icon Comets.jpg
    Icon Comets.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 33
Got mine too. One of them had a lot of splay along the top rim of the flight plate, called Discraft, they're sending me one gratis, guy I talked to said "use that one for water holes."

These are the colors I got. They feel good in hand, other than the splaying on the yellow one, but I figure I'll bag that one and it'll wear away after a few rounds in the woods.
*mutters something about kids and their new-fangled lingo*

OK, y'all got me. WTF is "splay"? :confused:

*mutters something about kids and their new-fangled lingo*

OK, y'all got me. WTF is "splay"? :confused:

Splay is a result of a barrel temperature being too high during molding, it can cause streaking, or raised bumps/lines. So on my yellow Comet along the top of the rim there is splay, you can see it in the pic, it can interfere with your grip. When I talked to Paul at DC he said it shouldn't have made it out of the warehouse during QC, but they sometimes rush when trying to fill big orders and miss it during packaging, and usually those discs go to a different part of the warehouse to be recycled or trashed. If you got any of that on either of yours call'em up and let them know, He asked for pics and send they'd send a new one out today.

Attachments

• 9AA1616F-5AE9-43C6-8160-8120699D1681.jpg
    9AA1616F-5AE9-43C6-8160-8120699D1681.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 39
I had my daughter look them over; one has a pretty good gouge from what looks like somebody rushing a flashing removal. So it's looking like maybe not the greatest day in Discraft quality control.

I asked her if she wanted to complain and she responded "Dad, we throw these at trees." She has a point.

Honestly, I didn't even call to complain, or ask for a replacement, I just wanted to let them know that the Comet I received had the splaying, and before I had a chance to say anything else he said "e-mail me a picture and I'll send you a new one." I wasn't going to say no, and I spend a fair amount on DC products so why not.

I didn't really mean to imply anything by that. At the prices they are charging now, you should be happy with what you get. If you aren't, Discraft should find out.

The holy grail Comet is the blue Ron Russell Z Comets. People get confused over the white signature Ron Russell Comets; those were just regular old Tournament Pro Comets and not a big deal at all. The blue Z RR Comets are the shizzle

You forgot the gummy green Z ones from DGLO a while back. Those were actually sought after more as throwers than collectors, back when they were relatively new. I forget the stamp, but it was some little thing in the middle of the flight plate. I wanna say it was that D logo, where the curve of the D was the flight of a disc towards a basket, that used to be on the Pro-D discs.

Does anyone know anywhere I can reliably buy light weight (160s) ESP Comets? Discraft's website lists them, but the Comet is just perpetually out of stock, and it looks like every online retailer I've found only orders max weight Z Comets...

You forgot the gummy green Z ones from DGLO a while back. Those were actually sought after more as throwers than collectors, back when they were relatively new. I forget the stamp, but it was some little thing in the middle of the flight plate. I wanna say it was that D logo, where the curve of the D was the flight of a disc towards a basket, that used to be on the Pro-D discs.

Those fugly pond scum green GLO Z Comets are collectable.
We speak of the same Comets. You speak more highly of them.

Edit: I guess Discraft does call glow plastic "glo" so putting the "D" for Discraft in DGLO is a better abbreviation for Great Lakes Open. :\

Last edited:
We speak of the same Comets. You speak more highly of them.

Oh you meant the DGLO ones, not the Glow-Z ones? I figured you meant the glowy ones, because they're probably the ugliest shade of glow plastic I've ever seen :D The DGLO ones were like, a bright crayon green.

I never liked any of the fancy-pants RR or DGLO Comets. They were all way too overstable. I had a signed blue RR one that I just kept long enough to sell, even though back then they were only going for like $50.

For me, the best Comets have always been domey ESP ones.

Does anyone know anywhere I can reliably buy light weight (160s) ESP Comets? Discraft's website lists them, but the Comet is just perpetually out of stock, and it looks like every online retailer I've found only orders max weight Z Comets...
They are cranking out max weight stuff these days. That goes for everybody, not just Discraft. It's a bad time to like light discs.