• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I love domey 3rd run LE ESPs. You can really crank on them hard and they just go straight. Of course they hold the sweetest hyzers and anhyzers you ever did see too.

Domey is where it's at with Comets. Domey X's, Domey ESPs, Domey glow Z's et al. Oh yeah.

i'm selling three pink third runs in the marketplace or trading for MJ comets!!!

I been throwing my 170g x-comet a ton. I love it.

I just talked to the guy who let me borrow his esp comet for a couple of throws some weeks back and he revealed that he's using the comet as a way to clean up his form after a long absence from disc golf. He saw me practicing off the tee (i was throwing putters) and said it looked like I had good form and was curious to see me throw his comet.

I'm really thankful to him, thanks mike!, because I'm still a three month playing newbie and can maybe reap the benefits early by practicing/playing with the comet.

my plan is to do a lot of comets + putter rounds (I throw an innova dart). The weird part is how the comet and dart have a lot of overlap in where I'd use them because the dart is such a straight flying driving/upshot putter that I did use for tight fairways and escape shots through small gaps in the trees.

I have an ESP comet coming and probably will end up getting another x or esp comet (depending on which I like after practicing with them for a while) to be able to have at least 3 comets to field practice with before playing.

I do pair my comet with a champ roc3. the champ roc3 is very overstable and what I use to go around things (hyzer/anhyzer) or if there is a nice crosswind I have to deal with.

this comet has really taught me a lot about wrist snap, how to do proper turnover shots, trusting a disc to do what its supposed to do (any disc be it a Teebird/roc/comet/buzz/putter/ect) and why I deserved a bad result from a throw.

right now for me the one big negative with the comet is also its strength: the comet is awesome for threading tight wooded fairways by just snapping it and putting a little loft on it - it'll glide through those perilous tightly tree lined fairways nice and easy ... but if it hits a tree.... it might bounce off and fly another 100ft in a bad direction.

Just got a comet about a month ago and I love it. Need to buy another one so I have a pair. End the thread. Let's keep this disc a secret

Just got a comet about a month ago and I love it. Need to buy another one so I have a pair. End the thread. Let's keep this disc a secret

the thing about the comet is... the disc itself is its own worst enemy in terms of sales. its marked as a "beginner disc" its analogous to learning to drive in a 1980's manual transmission porsche 911.

learning to drive in a 80's manual transmission Porsche 911 could be a smart thing because you'll learn what not to do and eventually develop great driving habits/form because its a rear wheeled drive lightweight car that will penalize bad form.

but the trend is...probably a majority is going to flock to a modern dual clutched/automatic BMW 3 series that has great performance and enough computerized traction control to mask any bad habits. the modern BMW in this case is a premium plastic BUZZZ or its equivalent in another brand.

Last edited:
I've been flicking my Comets a lot lately. Pew pew laser upshots. Not quite ready to add power to it, just a snap of the wrist. I've pinged a couple flight plates from 100-150.

I also did some field work, playing catch with my buddy using a X Comet, all FH throws. Only wobbled a couple times. I challenged my friend to keep it on a clean, high hyzer (still FH) and the more he tried the more it turned over. I was pretty successful and I can see that touch control helping with my FH teeshots.

It's just as helpful as it was in cleaning up my BH.

Adding a new z to my bag for approaches. Testing it over last week and it's just awesome for soft flicks dead straight with so much less effort than a putter

I played a comet + putter only round today, with the plan to play with my regular 8 discs for the 2nd round. It was my first time playing my new ESP Comet and I figured it was a great way to break it in a little.

I met up with guy who drove in to play my course for the first time so we played together and I showed him around.

My initial feeling was feeling bad/embarrassed that I didn't have all my usual discs, but I'll be damned I scored one of my best rounds ever on my home course!

My course, Cranbury Park CT, is mostly super tight wooded holes and the new comet performed beautifully, straight in the tight wooded fairways, easy easy distance just by snapping the wrist, and even some nice hyzer and anhyzer lines on command.

On the open 495ft open hole I got a 320ft easy drive off the tee .the guy I was playing with asked "wait what disc is that? you said it was a midrange right?"

after I played another round and decided just to use my comet + putter again. I ended up losing my putter when it disappeared into some thick brush during an errant approach shot. After 30min of searching I continued on just with the comet and it actually putted pretty great (nice and straight and catches the chains).

The one thing I missed was my overstable roc3 to go around trees. I'm excited to maybe try playing just the comet + roc3 rounds in the future.

Most of the Ti plastic I have seen is green, gray, and blue. I have 1 Red Ti disc. Good way to lose your discs. Give me some bright colors

Just picked this one up a week or so ago. Hardest thing for me to adjust too was the rim feel, but after that wow, this thing just glides and is dead straight...if you throw is straight. First couple tosses took some tweaking, but after I had it dialed in a bit it started to work with me instead of fight me. Great disc, thanks for the feedback on here guys!

Big Z?

10410247_10152254424892253_671335359552352040_n.jpg

I keep a 175g Z comet as my main mid and a 172 beat up X as a flip/turnover mid. I'm wondering what you guys prefer on the windier days? Downwind, I find it hard to control distance with the Comet. Headwinds it doesn't come out and play. I am currently throwing a DX Roc3, but it is getting beat up a bit. thinking about a Buzzz, but not sure I want to go beadless (which is probably silly, I throw XL's and Rivers and they don't have a bead).

So, what is the windy day part time substitute for the Comet that we all love :-0

I keep a 175g Z comet as my main mid and a 172 beat up X as a flip/turnover mid. I'm wondering what you guys prefer on the windier days? Downwind, I find it hard to control distance with the Comet. Headwinds it doesn't come out and play. I am currently throwing a DX Roc3, but it is getting beat up a bit. thinking about a Buzzz, but not sure I want to go beadless (which is probably silly, I throw XL's and Rivers and they don't have a bead).

So, what is the windy day part time substitute for the Comet that we all love :-0

I think that's the only weakness of the comet. The cross and headwinds. Sure you can still make a great shot in the winds with it but it's finicky.

I bag a 169g esp comet for straight or turnovers and a 178g z comet for loooong smooth semi hyzer lines.

But for wind I use a 177g champ roc3. The champ roc3 is very over stable and since it's champ I'll stay that way for at least a year even in my heavily wooded course.

Latest posts