• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I also lost my flippy Comet recently. All I have left are heavy, stable Z Comets... do I try to break one in?? I'm thinking yes; but I do like them flippy.

Possible replacements I have are a 150 Star Stingray, a medium weight GL Fuse, a heavy Tangent, a Flying Squirrel.... But it's just not the same as a Comet. I might dig up a Stratus and see how those fly nowadays.

yeah try the x comet!!!

elite x comet . . . there is no better wood-carving disc. as much as i am loving my rocs right now, the comet is just much more controllable in the woods at low speed.

2624404-6925005885-1.jpg.jpg

oh yes... come to papa...

14812534765_28924de6bd_c.jpg

14625994167_5123ebdde0_c.jpg

178g Big Z goodness with old school stamp arrived today... i already have 4 comets (Z, two ESPs, and an Elite X) and I'm tempted never to throw this... then again my 4 comets have taught me so much (field work and in actual play). maybe get an extra old school stamped big Z and store this one for prosperity...

oh yes... come to papa...

14812534765_28924de6bd_c.jpg

14625994167_5123ebdde0_c.jpg

178g Big Z goodness with old school stamp arrived today... i already have 4 comets (Z, two ESPs, and an Elite X) and I'm tempted never to throw this... then again my 4 comets have taught me so much (field work and in actual play). maybe get an extra old school stamped big Z and store this one for prosperity...

^^^^
Where did u get that disc? Was there a recent run with the old school stamp?

This, absolutely. Blegh.

Now that old school stamp above, outstanding.

I just saw the other stamp you're referring to. I agree, it's not the best stamp I've ever seen. I do like the throwback stamp, though.

Last edited:
Just got my first Comet yesterday. I know... I'm late to the party. But seeing as I have been trying to rework my form I figured I'd pick one up (also because I lost my Tursas and didn't have an understable disc in my bag).

I got an X Comet as it seems people like those and they're supposed to beat into nice turnover discs. In retrospect I think I really wanted an ESP Comet for durability but I was curious about trying X plastic.

What are sentiments on the X Comet? I think I figured out that my form is in desperate need of repair and so hopefully this will help me out.

Both my X Buzzz and X Comet have had many nasty tree hits over the last year or so. After the initial break-in they settled in and haven't changed flight very much at all, and show no major battle scars. I like X plastic for the most versatility and controllability on a variety of shots. I've only had one ESP disc (Drone) and it didn't stay in the bag long enough for me to have an opinion on it. I also had a Z Comet but it wasn't very "Comet like" so it didn't stay in the bag either. My Z Buzzz on the other hand...........

I use X Comet for turnovers and shorter touch shots, and then a premium Comet for powered shots. I like the premiums for that "trashed DX Roc" flight, where my X shows a lot more turn or requires a lot more hyzer to get the same line.

The x comet is amazing. I used a heavy x and a light one. The light x was for hyzerflips and low power shots that needed to go straight with zero fade, finesse work in general. The heavy x comets will still have some fade. Very complementary. I stopped throwing esp and z comets once I picked up a 166g and a 180g x.

the x comets are awesome. they are surprisingly durable (they're are almost ESP like) and glide nice. my x comet is actually stiffer than my z and esp comets, but not as stiff as my Big Z comet (with the old school stamp). the disadvantage compared to the z/esp is that the stamps on the new ones are a little plain for some people's tastes.

one of the reasons more people like to bag the Z comets is that they are more overstable (compared to the esp/x) and can handle a little more torque (and a tiny bit more leeway when it comes to form) but very durable.

but for form training purposes? an x comet can't be beat. the comet really taught me about snapping a disc for extra glide more than the damn towel snap drill ever did :p

:thmbup: Very nice! Sounds like it'll be fun to throw this disc around. I'm hoping to have an epiphany with my form and fix my bad habits.

Runningdoc, I must say that the towel snap drill hasn't helped me much, either. Practice makes perfect :D

Quick (and very basic) request:

Please rank the X, Z and ESP Comets in order of:

1. Stability

2. Glide

Thanks in advance.

Quick (and very basic) request:

Please rank the X, Z and ESP Comets in order of:

1. Stability

2. Glide

Thanks in advance.

here are my personal experiences (under the assumption all are max weight):

1. stability (most to least):
Big Z (new release old school stamp)
Z plastic
ESP
X

2. Glide
X comet (especially when beat in)
ESP
Z/Big Z

I've noticed that I can hold Hyzer Lines (gradual sweeping hyzers) better with the Big Z/Z plastic comets too (its a fun shot that has a nice huge skip on the end for when you want to avoid obstacles or overshooting a 150ft-200ft basket).

I've tried sweeping anhyzers, but this disc can be finicky and it can just straighten out (meaning I didn't throw it with proper form). I'm working on it, but right now during league play I just throw my putter for anhyzer lines.

Latest posts