• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I actually have found that heavier Comets glide better, make of that what you will. Maybe just my form.
My 177 Ti Comet is what you are describing...but I dont know of anyone having any in stock as they are special runs only.
I havent thrown one, but the MJ sig tour disc in Z may be what you are needing. I have heard that they are a slightly different blend of Z with a bit more glide...

It may be worth just getting another Z comet and seeing if it's less stable. I have 3 Z's and it's weird that they're all slightly different. My main comet has been in the bag for 5~ish years and is still pretty straight stable. I have a glo-Z that is significantly less stable, and has only been used for field practice. My other Z is in between with no actual bag time.

I will second the glow Z at 172-174 but I like the flatter top I think it turns over a little easier.. Others disagree. There are also some weird runs of ESP that are harder than usual and super grippy. I snagged one when I saw it but they don't come around often.

It may be worth just getting another Z comet and seeing if it's less stable. I have 3 Z's and it's weird that they're all slightly different. My main comet has been in the bag for 5~ish years and is still pretty straight stable. I have a glo-Z that is significantly less stable, and has only been used for field practice. My other Z is in between with no actual bag time.
Based on what I've read, not considering some outliers, it sounds like ESP is a little more squirrelly off the shelf than the rest of the plastics, even more so than fresh X. Additionally, glo Z is surprisingly less stable than regular Z. Finally, it sounds like flatness is associated with have more turn.

On the spectrum of stability, dome or lack thereof is most important, followed by plastic, and of course weight to some degree.

Too bad I don't have really good shops in the area. I'm lucky if any of them have one Comet in stock, much less multiple to compare.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

... Additionally, glo Z is surprisingly less stable than regular Z. Finally, it sounds like flatness is associated with have more turn.
I have no idea if all glo-Z's are less stable. That's just how mine happens to be. Can someone else chime in on this? Also, mine are all relatively flat-ish, and vary in stability.

Generally speaking, you want a decent dome on a Comet and flatter will be more on the turny/understable side. I'm sure there are exceptions but I've been pretty safe following that logic for X and Z.

I have no idea if all glo-Z's are less stable. That's just how mine happens to be. Can someone else chime in on this? Also, mine are all relatively flat-ish, and vary in stability.

Glow Z plastic from Discraft is freaking magical... I used to throw a lot of Buzzz, Stalkers and Comets... I have never seen a glow Z with dome.. As someone who doesn't have a big shop around here, all I can say is they always have a flat top which is more satisfying immediately out of the box.

Have a new glo Z Comet it's a little flatter and softer than both my production run Z comets and an old bar stamp glo comet. It tends toward the understable end of the typical comet flight spectrum. It requires more hyzer to stay straight when powered up and has zero fade. The old bar stamp glo has a nice even dome and is much more stable like a fresh heavy Z. So I would cast my vote for moderate dome and slightly stiffer plastic as the ideal comet shape and feel to produce a stable flight with a bit of fade..

.... So I would cast my vote for moderate dome and slightly stiffer plastic as the ideal comet shape and feel to produce a stable flight with a bit of fade..

I agree. This is the shape, feel and flight of my Ti Comet. It has a slight bit less glide than Z, but not much.
I bag both Ti and Z

I have 4 Comets:

167 Esp Most US, epic glide (because of weight?)
177+ elite X was little bit more OS than big Z when new, maybe little more glide.Slowly beats in. Favorite comet plastic.
175 Big Z Good glide, Neutral flight out of the box.
177+ Glo Z . flatter, most OS, noticeably less glide.

I agree. This is the shape, feel and flight of my Ti Comet. It has a slight bit less glide than Z, but not much.
I bag both Ti and Z

I totally agree I'll sacrifice a bit of glide for bump in stability. Truly the amount of glide difference between my domey stiffer comets and my flatter softer comets really isn't that significant to stress over. I missed out on the TI comets, hoping they get run again!

Comet update: took my 171g ESP Comet out to the course yesterday. I'm getting the slight S flight I am looking for out of it - I would call it 4/5/-.5/.5

At this point I'm bagging:

174g Lucid Verdict
175g FLX Buzzz
171g ESP Comet
175g X Comet

I think at this point I would throw another ESP comet in when my current ESP beats in past that slot. Or possibly a more stable Comet plastic.

One stop shop with the comet, I have a Z glo and in that plastic it is perfect when it's sweetened just right. Any line I out it on it holds but really it's sweet for flipping and watching it turn for ya. Perfect 280' annys that get there effortlessly. Fuggin beautiful thing it is.

Just picked up a 177 X Comet, and man, this thing has the most ridiculous flashing I've ever seen. It downright hurts to hold it. I thought Trilogy discs were bad, but it feels like there's a steak knife on the bottom of this bead.

Just picked up a 177 X Comet, and man, this thing has the most ridiculous flashing I've ever seen. It downright hurts to hold it. I thought Trilogy discs were bad, but it feels like there's a steak knife on the bottom of this bead.

I've had one or two lately with a little more flashing than normal. I just removed it. Feels comfy and still flies like a comet.

Death to flashing! I ran into a plumbers looking for a glow disc in the pharmacy here... hooked him up with a Comet.. I've done my good deed for the week now I can be an ass for the weekend.

I got a few MJ Z Comets recently and I was thinking they had the least flashing on any disc I've gotten in a while. Silky smooth on all edges.

I have lost or misplaced or had( stolen) at least 4 comets in various plastics, I'm going to give it one more chance with a glow comet purchase. Maybe I was not meant to throw these.