• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

So started watching this...did any catch a dreadlocked James Conrad at the beginning of the first round highlights???

Yeah, that's him, back in 2009. His form is unmistakable, even if his hair is not.

For anyone looking, the Youtube video is called dgm63 clip one. JC is shown at about the 2:10 mark.

Not sure why this is in the Comet thread.

Last edited:
Not sure why this is in the Comet thread.

The original post from 2009 referenced DGM 63 because the tourney's final round coverage was MJ vs Schwebby with MJ filleting the course with an orange Comet.

I watched it and was like WOAH, that's James Conrad...with dreads.

Picked up a nice MJ Tour Z Comet...silver with a gold stamp. Can't wait to throw it.

Over in the Coyote thread, people are now starting to talk about the parting line heights of Comets, and how this may affect their stability. My first thought on this was, "how different could the parting lines on Comets actually be?!" Because, the wing on a Comet is rather small. That is primarily why it is considered to be just speed 4.

So, I pulled out a pile of Comets, in various plastics, to visually compare their parting lines.
I compared the super domey blue Elite Zs (more overstable), and super flat white ESPs (far more understable),and various weights of Elite X (stability varies by weight), and a pile of MJ Swirly ESPs.

My findings are: I can't see a darn bit of difference in any of the parting line heights.

I am not sure that I have ever seen people talking about the parting lines of slower discs. Is this really something we need to consider? Because, I am inclined to call shenanigans on this.

I am not sure that I have ever seen people talking about the parting lines of slower discs. Is this really something we need to consider? Because, I am inclined to call shenanigans on this.

Lol I shouldn't have even posted anything...:D

It can impact flight regardless of the speed but how may be much different vs faster/other molds. I've seen this with the buzzz roc vector fuse and many other mids. The flight isn't drastically impacted like a driver but when a fresh buzzz turns a hair or a vector doesn't fade like "normal" it always is a matter of plh/dome difference.

Is it a huge deal? Eh no but not shenanigans at all.

I have a very Nice Big Z Comet for sale on eBay now, I am surprised, no bids, cheep. I used it for only one round and decided to stick with my Meteor. I only gave it a try because I am a big MJ fan. Already I don't like beaded discs so, as expected it was just not for me.

I have a very Nice Big Z Comet for sale on eBay now, I am surprised, no bids, cheep. I used it for only one round and decided to stick with my Meteor. I only gave it a try because I am a big MJ fan. Already I don't like beaded discs so, as expected it was just not for me.

Weight? Color? Ink?

Lil DC NutSac Bag:

164 Z Predator - OS driver
168 Z XS - stable/US driver

174 Z Comet - seasoned, stable/US mid

174 D Banger GT - fresh putt and approach

This thread needs moar pics:

picture.php

Over in the Coyote thread, people are now starting to talk about the parting line heights of Comets, and how this may affect their stability. My first thought on this was, "how different could the parting lines on Comets actually be?!" Because, the wing on a Comet is rather small. That is primarily why it is considered to be just speed 4.

So, I pulled out a pile of Comets, in various plastics, to visually compare their parting lines.
I compared the super domey blue Elite Zs (more overstable), and super flat white ESPs (far more understable),and various weights of Elite X (stability varies by weight), and a pile of MJ Swirly ESPs.

My findings are: I can't see a darn bit of difference in any of the parting line heights.

trout smith said:
i just got my MJ Glo Comets. They seem a little more overstable than the Z comets I have. Is that by design? Not that its a bad thing, lol.
MJ said:
Yes it is by design. I wanted them to be more stable than normal comets. This will also give them a nice life span
MJ said:
They are more stable than any of Ti ones I have had done
These Comets supposedly have higher shoulders which presumably raises the PLH.

Lower profile? So they are "faster" but a little less in the glide department?

Fly Dyed Z on the left, Glo Swirl on the right.

The top is flatter, but the shoulder and parting line is higher. It may feel a bit lower profile, but in reality, it is pretty close to the same.

Like you guessed, it is a little faster with a bit less glide, but I had to throw both back to back, in an open field, to see the difference.

Cavet: The Fly Dyed Z has been in my bag for 2 years, so that may have boosted it's glide slightly.

The Glo Swirl, to my hand, does feel better and releases cleaner.

Attachments

• 20180621_123004_001.jpg
    20180621_123004_001.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Oh nice, I have two on the way, can't wait to bag them next week. They are also heavier, so looking forward to throwing them for a long time.

Latest posts