• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Here's my three Comets. The Ron Russell is in my bag right now. It's been similar to the elite Z so I bagged it. Right now I have a gateway prophecy and element (Christmas) in the bag with a MVP tensor. Comet has a bit of overlap with the element but I don't see the comet going anywhere. It needs more height to work it's magic, but it's what I reach for when I need 300' straight down the middle.

My furthest throw is still with the comet. The last hole of Hyland ski in Bloomington is just over 700' straight down hill. Threw a Z comet 50' past the basket, directly over the top. Never tracked left or right. The whole group was screaming as it went right over the top. Of course I couldn't sink the putt for 2... I don't think another disc could've done it. At that time I couldn't throw really far BH, it was just the steep ski hill. I've since lost that comet and have had a hard time finding another comet that was as stable. Most of them turn just a little when thrown hard. The Ron Russell I carry only turns a little.

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_192546.jpg
    IMG_20200105_192546.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 70
Those discs that the Ron Russell signature is on were run in a plastic called Elite Pro, which was Discraft's late 90's answer to Innova Pro plastic. It more or less became Elite X when they introduced Elite Z. The signature series was done in what they called Elite Pro Natural, meaning it had no color pigment in it. The talk at the time was that the color pigment was a "pollutant" that made the resulting plastic weaker, so the "natural" plastic would be more durable.

Then Elite Z happened and people stopped worrying about durable discs.

The signature series was done in what they called Elite Pro Natural, meaning it had no color pigment in it.

I hadn't learned that before. I loved those comets and my elite pro XLs, never really noticed a durability difference

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I hadn't learned that before. I loved those comets and my elite pro XLs, never really noticed a durability difference
Neither did I. :|

Tournament Pro (the plastic the Saturn Comets were in) was a really funny plastic in that it seemed to damage internally instead of externally. The example would be if you had a DX Cheetah and a TP Cyclone and smacked both with a direct hit into a tree 15' in front of the tee. The DX Cheetah would leave an external mark on the disc you could see. The TP Cyclone many times would not. Repeat 25 times and the DX Cheetah would look flippy and fly flippy. The TP Cyclone would look like it was in a lot better condition than the Cheetah, but in flight it wouldn't be. Tournament Pro had this appearance of being an upgraded plastic, but it wore in just like a base plastic. You had to be really careful trading somebody for a Tournament Pro disc; you really had to throw it first.

Elite Pro felt a lot like Tournament Pro, but it actually held it's durability longer than a base plastic. It actually was a premium plastic, so there was an increased durability there already over Tournament Pro. The idea that the "natural" Elite Pro was any more durable than an Elite Pro disc with pigment seemed more like a "in theory this should make it more durable" claim than anything you would actually notice.

I picked up these 2 today to try out. I've been playing for a while and have somehow never thrown a Comet. I was a big MVP guy for a while, loved the Theory. I now bag a lot of Discmania and love the MD as a neutral mid. I bag a C-Line for a true neutral and a beat D-Line for a flippy complement. One thing the MD does not excel at, for me, is hyzerflips or slow/late turns. The C-Line wants to hold the hyzer unless I absolutely smash it and the D is far too flippy to hold straight for any amount of time. I've had multiple people suggest a Comet, so I finally pulled the trigger.

Going to play 2 simultaneous 1 disc rounds with them tomorrow to get a good feel for them.

Big Z is 170g, slightly lower PLH, and is very domey. ESP is 180g, slightly higher PLH, and has a very mild dome.
2463043df023ff21f91fc77af573c039.jpg
ab13876fdebc276b03b0df9f7ebd4681.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Well I played my 1 disc rounds and I have to say, I'm very happy with my Comets.

The BigZ flew exactly the way I imagined a Comet should, very floaty and a hyzerflip machine. With a flat release or a hard thrown hyzerflip I could get a great late turn out of it. Given enough height, it would tail off the the left before settling gently.

The ESP was a bit more touchy. I'm guessing the relative lack of dome contributed to this. It felt like it flew a bit faster and was more likely to take a right turn and glide away from me. With a clean throw it still performed well, but it definitely needed more finesse. Both the ESP and BigZ were great on big sweeping hyzers.

It was fairly windy when I took them out, so I will not pass judgement until I give them both a chance on a calm day. Overall, super stoked to finally own a pair of Comets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Well I played my 1 disc rounds and I have to say, I'm very happy with my Comets.

The BigZ flew exactly the way I imagined a Comet should, very floaty and a hyzerflip machine. With a flat release or a hard thrown hyzerflip I could get a great late turn out of it. Given enough height, it would tail off the the left before settling gently.

The ESP was a bit more touchy. I'm guessing the relative lack of dome contributed to this. It felt like it flew a bit faster and was more likely to take a right turn and glide away from me. With a clean throw it still performed well, but it definitely needed more finesse. Both the ESP and BigZ were great on big sweeping hyzers.

It was fairly windy when I took them out, so I will not pass judgement until I give them both a chance on a calm day. Overall, super stoked to finally own a pair of Comets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

That's interesting, most of the new ESP ones I've thrown I wouldn't say were under stable enough to even consistently flip at the beginning. That ESP stamp color is amazing though

I was waiting for the field runs! good stuff.

The two may complement each other well. ESP is pretty sweet it starts off a good bit more understable especially with a flat dome. The dome really changes an ESP Comet..

I've been playing a lot with a flat top 170-172 ESP Comet lately.. Not sure how groovy I am on the flippyness and lighter weight but it's fluorescent yellow and great for those last ditch short rounds at home with the dog. Don't know what to throw tonight? Can't go wrong with a neon ESP Comet!

Switching Comet's up is a nice way to tune in the throw.. I kinda like em stable ish well mildly, you know...

Last edited:
Yeah I've found the ESP's to be more touchy and less of a true Comet flight. The one Big Z I've thrown matches your description spot one. Overall I like regular Elite Z the best but can vary in dome and flexibility.

I have 14 Comets in my collection at the moment. I bag 4 - a very old, beat in Elite X; a newer Elite X; an ESP; and a Titanium. If I can find room in my cart, I'll be adding the Z Comet. If I can't find the room, I'll be rotating the Ti and the Z. So as you can see, I'm definitely a Follower of the Temple of the Comet. Best mid-range disc ever made. And IMHO, the best disc golf disc ever made.

On a side note: I recently purchased another Michael Johansen Tour series disc with a stamp version I had never seen before. Looked like a standard tour series stamp where the Chaineater comet is above the word "Comet", and Johansen's signature is below it (I believe these are the 2018 Tour Series). But this one has a dot matrix background, the Chaineater is at a slightly different angle, and Johansen's signature is slightly lower. Really curious as to the history behind this stamp.

I have 14 Comets in my collection at the moment. I bag 4 - a very old, beat in Elite X; a newer Elite X; an ESP; and a Titanium. If I can find room in my cart, I'll be adding the Z Comet. If I can't find the room, I'll be rotating the Ti and the Z. So as you can see, I'm definitely a Follower of the Temple of the Comet. Best mid-range disc ever made. And IMHO, the best disc golf disc ever made.

On a side note: I recently purchased another Michael Johansen Tour series disc with a stamp version I had never seen before. Looked like a standard tour series stamp where the Chaineater comet is above the word "Comet", and Johansen's signature is below it (I believe these are the 2018 Tour Series). But this one has a dot matrix background, the Chaineater is at a slightly different angle, and Johansen's signature is slightly lower. Really curious as to the history behind this stamp.

Can you post a picture of it? I have a 2017 z tour series and a 2018 esp glo as well, I would love to see what you have there.

What's is the most stable version of the Comet out there?
Currently throwing a Glow Comet. Love it, and the most stable version I've thrown.

I'd say max weight 2018 tour series. The 2019's flew pretty standard for a Comet.

I'll second this, only Comet I've thrown that would really fight back. Flew like a Roc.
Generally any heavy domey Z (including regular, Big Z and Glo) will be pretty hearty.

The other thing I've noticed with Z Comets, is if they are pearly and fairly opaque, they're pretty beefy for a comet. I stumbled across a few these about 2-3 years ago. I can throw them with a bit of anhyzer and they will fight back out like a Roc does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y'all are making me want to throw comets again. I always end up liking them a lot at first but slowly start throwing them less and less for something a little more reliable and wind resistant.

The other thing I've noticed with Z Comets, is if they are pearly and fairly opaque, they're pretty beefy for a comet. I stumbled across a few these about 2-3 years ago. I can throw them with a bit of anhyzer and they will fight back out like a Roc does.

1. Do these fly similarly to a Buzzz?

2. Can I get a pic or 2 for example of what to look for?

1. Do these fly similarly to a Buzzz?
No. A Comet is a high-line floaty disc that is best used with finesse and the Buzzz is a low-line "throw it hard" disc. They are just fundamentally different. A Comet with more stability doesn't change that.

2. Can I get a pic or 2 for example of what to look for?
Unless something has changed that I'm unaware of, the easiest way to get a beefy Z Comet has always been to just get a Glow Comet. That seems way easier than searching for pearly opaque Comets.