• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Anyone thrown any of the old Cryztal blend Comets? From before Cryztal got tackier? I picked this up at the fly mart, and I'm curious how it'll fly compared to my modern ones...IMG_20230904_161334_303.jpg

I have a couple Cryztal ones from I think 2013, one is orange and was my go-to comet for a while (hyzer flip straight or flat to turnover). I have a second one but the color is like clear green so it's impossible to see. Probably my favorite Discraft plastic I've thrown

Well, that Cryztal one flies about the like the modern Z Swirl, so it's chilling at home for the moment, since I've already got a backup Z Swirl for that slot.

On a side note, I got tagged in a post by a guy in Nebraska, who's starting a cause I can really get behind:

He's throwing Comets, and posting shots, trying to get Discraft to run them in Jawbreaker Z. I think we should all join in - Jawbreaker Z is gorgerous plastic, and I'd love to own a Comet or three in it!

Some end of season thoughts on modern day Comets, versus older runs...

Nothing new flies like my LE ESP one. I'm trying to beat in a modern ESP one enough to do that, but it doesn't help that I can't get them in light weights anymore (my LE ESP one is 168g) - doubly so, since you can't really get genuinely domey Comets anymore. I've got one modern Z one in 168'ish weight, and since it's flat it's just...flippy, and nothing but. I guess it'd be okay at altitude, or as a winter replacement for my LE ESP one, but at sea level in warm air I just can't rely on it. It's too squirrely. Maybe if I beat the snot out of a modern ESP one for long enough, it'll do what I want. I just lost the one I was doing that with, so I'm back at square one... 😅 I've always favored the LE ESP, even over the X ones. The X ones fly like a Meteor or a Sol by comparison - flip them, and they stay flipped. LE ESP flip and gently flatten or fade softly.

Modern Comets are SO STABLE - but I'm not totally of the opinion that's a bad thing. Yes, I can't directly swap-in for my LE ESP one, but there are a lot more lines that the more stable ones open up more easily than finessing my super flippy ones into more aggressive hyzers.

My favorites so far of the modern era are the Z Swirls. They still do all the Comet things, but can take a heap of power for straight shots and hyzers. If you want the "money" Comet, this is your best bet from 2023's selections. The UV color change ones are nearly identical in flight, but seeing how short-lived the color change has been on my Scorches, I'm guessing they'll just be white Comets by next summer (which, if you want to dye them, makes for a more versatile canvas than the Z Swirl!)...

Modern ESP isn't really grippy enough to differentiate itself out of the box from the standard Z runs. Between the two, I'd say pick whichever feels best in your hand, or you like the color of. The ESP will beat in more quickly though, if that's of interest to you.

trying to get Discraft to run them in Jawbreaker Z.
I know I have put no effort to stay up to date with most new stuff from any brands, even discraft which I probably know best, but what the hell is jawbreaker Z? I struggle to imagine how those two plastics would combine attributes. Semi translucent, but chunks of opaque, tacky, soft less durable Z?

I know I have put no effort to stay up to date with most new stuff from any brands, even discraft which I probably know best, but what the hell is jawbreaker Z? I struggle to imagine how those two plastics would combine attributes. Semi translucent, but chunks of opaque, tacky, soft less durable Z?
It's blends of various Z colors that look more like jawbreaker than Z swirl. Primarily clear, overall. It's kinda pretty...

IMG_0235-scaled.jpg

I carry 2 or 3 comets. I have a new ESP one that is very straight and workable, a T-pro (I think-its rubbery) slightly understable, and sometimes an older glow one that is very domey. I lost my 170 X that was way understable.

I carry 2 or 3 comets. I have a new ESP one that is very straight and workable, a T-pro (I think-its rubbery) slightly understable, and sometimes an older glow one that is very domey. I lost my 170 X that was way understable.
I've got a well seasoned X one I found on a course (no ink, and nobody responded in my post in the local lost and found group) that I won't throw, if you're interested in it...

1000009990.jpg

Attachments

• 20230414_152819.jpg
    20230414_152819.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 0
That is very cool, but I should not purchase any frisbees for a bit. Thank you for being thoughtful.
No problem! It's not going anywhere, if you ever want it... I've also got some old 1st run and tourney pro ones I'll never throw, if you're feeling lucky about surviving tree hits with plastic that old. Down the road if you wanna buy any of them, they're just sitting in storage...

No problem! It's not going anywhere, if you ever want it... I've also got some old 1st run and tourney pro ones I'll never throw, if you're feeling lucky about surviving tree hits with plastic that old. Down the road if you wanna buy any of them, they're just sitting in storage...
Now you've got me interested... especially if any are flatish. Now that I think about it I need to find a wintertime replacement for my ol reliable super flippy Comet.

Now you've got me interested... especially if any are flatish. Now that I think about it I need to find a wintertime replacement for my ol reliable super flippy Comet.
Older ones tend to be way domier. The second run of LE ESP was where flat Comets really started to come from. They're all very flippy though (stable Comets are from after ESP went into full production) - but I wouldn't throw any first runs or tourney pro ones in cold weather. One strong tree hit, and you could have Comet shards...

Some end of season thoughts on modern day Comets, versus older runs...

Nothing new flies like my LE ESP one. I'm trying to beat in a modern ESP one enough to do that, but it doesn't help that I can't get them in light weights anymore (my LE ESP one is 168g) - doubly so, since you can't really get genuinely domey Comets anymore. I've got one modern Z one in 168'ish weight, and since it's flat it's just...flippy, and nothing but. I guess it'd be okay at altitude, or as a winter replacement for my LE ESP one, but at sea level in warm air I just can't rely on it. It's too squirrely. Maybe if I beat the snot out of a modern ESP one for long enough, it'll do what I want. I just lost the one I was doing that with, so I'm back at square one... 😅 I've always favored the LE ESP, even over the X ones. The X ones fly like a Meteor or a Sol by comparison - flip them, and they stay flipped. LE ESP flip and gently flatten or fade softly.

Modern Comets are SO STABLE - but I'm not totally of the opinion that's a bad thing. Yes, I can't directly swap-in for my LE ESP one, but there are a lot more lines that the more stable ones open up more easily than finessing my super flippy ones into more aggressive hyzers.

My favorites so far of the modern era are the Z Swirls. They still do all the Comet things, but can take a heap of power for straight shots and hyzers. If you want the "money" Comet, this is your best bet from 2023's selections. The UV color change ones are nearly identical in flight, but seeing how short-lived the color change has been on my Scorches, I'm guessing they'll just be white Comets by next summer (which, if you want to dye them, makes for a more versatile canvas than the Z Swirl!)...

Modern ESP isn't really grippy enough to differentiate itself out of the box from the standard Z runs. Between the two, I'd say pick whichever feels best in your hand, or you like the color of. The ESP will beat in more quickly though, if that's of interest to you.
Comets aren't the form fixers that they once were. They used to be very touchy; you had to dial in your form to unlock the glide. Torque monkeys would get the turn and burn. Now they are more stable/less touchy, which probably opens them up to a much larger audience. Throwing Comets back in the day could be kinda masochistic on a windy day when your form was off. It also kinda takes away the Comet bragging rights, though. You had to get your act together to rely on Comets. Now? Eh, it's not exactly the same. Close enough for government measurements, so we just won't tell anyone.

I've mixed a Sol into my line-up, which I wouldn't have needed before. I started using it mostly for touch turnover approaches, but it's slowly taken more and more of the turnover shots. It's a much different kind of disc, but it's been working for me. On the flip side, I always had a Sentinel for OS shots paired with my Comets. I really only use it on low ceiling shots anymore where the Comet tends to lift too much. All the other OS mid shots I can just use a Comet anymore.

I usually can show Comets to my daughter and she will talk me into buying, but when I showed her the UV Comets she went "do we really need more Comets?" So sad; I thought I raiser her better.

Comets aren't the form fixers that they once were. They used to be very touchy; you had to dial in your form to unlock the glide. Torque monkeys would get the turn and burn. Now they are more stable/less touchy, which probably opens them up to a much larger audience. Throwing Comets back in the day could be kinda masochistic on a windy day when your form was off. It also kinda takes away the Comet bragging rights, though. You had to get your act together to rely on Comets. Now? Eh, it's not exactly the same. Close enough for government measurements, so we just won't tell anyone.

I've mixed a Sol into my line-up, which I wouldn't have needed before. I started using it mostly for touch turnover approaches, but it's slowly taken more and more of the turnover shots. It's a much different kind of disc, but it's been working for me. On the flip side, I always had a Sentinel for OS shots paired with my Comets. I really only use it on low ceiling shots anymore where the Comet tends to lift too much. All the other OS mid shots I can just use a Comet anymore.

I usually can show Comets to my daughter and she will talk me into buying, but when I showed her the UV Comets she went "do we really need more Comets?" So sad; I thought I raiser her better.
They're kinda whatever, honestly. With how short lived the UV color change plastic is these days, I say just get a Z Swirl. They're prettier, and they fly the same...

I'm still not a fan of the Sol and Meteor. They just turn differently than the old Comets. I'd rather beat in an ESP Comet to replace my flippy one, than try to wrestle the same distance out of one of those molds. I think too many years of throwing Comets has made my form too snappy for the small diameter flippy stuff. I'm curious about MVP's offerings like the Detour and the TSA Mana, but when it all comes down to dust, I just don't see a spot for them in my bag, other than to replace my old glow first run Comets...

I'm still not a fan of the Sol and Meteor. They just turn differently than the old Comets. I'd rather beat in an ESP Comet to replace my flippy one, than try to wrestle the same distance out of one of those molds. I think too many years of throwing Comets has made my form too snappy for the small diameter flippy stuff. I'm curious about MVP's offerings like the Detour and the TSA Mana, but when it all comes down to dust, I just don't see a spot for them in my bag, other than to replace my old glow first run Comets...
I wasn't very clear; I have two really nice flippy Z Comets and a beat X Comet that I still use because I can't get the distance out of a Sol that I get from a Comet, but the Sol is easier for me to range in the shorter portion so it's taken a lot of shots I used to make with a Comet. A Sol doesn't really replace a flippy Comet, though.

Meteors I could never figure out at all. It seemed to me that I had to throw one really low and really hard to get it to act as advertised, and that's not really how I throw.

I finally caved under the pressure ("Hey man, can I try a hit?"). Say hello to the owner of a 2022 MJ Comet.

I wouldn't call it domey. Pretty easy to turn over, but it doesn't turn and burn. Definitely finishes with a fade. I have to admit the glide is pretty delish. Overall, it flies a lot like my Svea, or maybe halfway between my Svea and my Sol. It's a lot purdier though. Those darn Swedes...

Conditions in MN are still extraordinary, but I suppose we're on borrowed time. I'll try to a/b the Svea and Comet a bit over the weekend if the rain holds off.

Cool to see this thread is still going.... I've been throwing comets for a long time. They are my most hoarded disc (currently at 75!).