• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

coming off an ankle fusion....

skeeterpig

I'm 46 years old and recently started playing again after 5 years. I throw left- backhand, and due to injury had to have my left ( lead) ankle fused. I can no longer do any kind of run- up ( maybe one step) and have trouble transfering weight and pivoting through release. My distance is about 2/3rds of what it was. A "good" mid is around 200' n a good drive 275'. Help!!! Any suggestions to bring some power back on a no/ one step throw?

RHBH and surgically repaired Right Ankle here
I had ankle surgery about 13 yrs ago and I have a lot of issues with the flexibility, rotation, and subsequently balance. I can't really comfortably put my weight over the right ankle as it's often not rotating properly or balanced. I have basically settled on a slow walk up and trying to throw with cleaner form. I also stand and deliver on every shot that is not off the tee.....Sorry to depress you but it's more about adjustment than recapturing what your physically probably not capable of achieving......working on form and cleaner release might actually benefit your game.

Don't try to shift your weight or pivot, they just happen....focus on maintaining balance/posture and studying ball golf will help your standstill, and any steps if you are able. I'm still rehabbing my craptastic ankles, but it has improved my form.

Thanks guys.... my biggest problem is I guess more balance than anything... with the fusion u basically can't move my left foot anymore- I've actually put the sticks down because a golf swing is damn near impossible. Also along qith balance its like I can't find a rhythm... used to just kinda feel the throw.... guess I'll just have to swallow some pride n find a new feel....

I'm no expert, but would throwing forehand help any? That would mean pivoting on your right foot instead of the left.

Just a thought.

I do get more distance forehand but when I step through after the pivot unless I'm real sure of the footing it can be rather dicey( or comical) if I find an uneven spot..... its a thought worth exploring....

Latest posts