• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Confused on arm speed into the hit. Also finger tip pain

Rll131

Bogey Member
So I've been reading a lot on here and have read from Blake that you need to accelerate into the hit slowly to be able to hold onto the disc long enough for a full hit. Basically wondering once I reach a full reach back and I plant my front foot do I slowly turn my hips so my arm comes into the hit zone slowly and if so what provides all the power from the righ pec to the hit? Also I read that I need to grip down hard and pull the disc around for snap not loosely and grip at the end so I have been working on that and developing blisters on my middle and ring finger.

F=MA and K (e)=1/2m*(v*v) so force equals mass times acceleration and kinetic energy equals half of mass times velocity squared in terms of physics.

In a throw you need acceleration to gain velocity. To be able to gain acceleration you need to be able to produce quick movements that need explosive power from the muscles. Your power and especially explosiveness dictates how long you can maintain acceleration. But if you go too fast into the time when the disc leaves the palm starting the disc pivot you can overpower the fingers. Making the disc leave when the index finger and the thumb are at the side of the disc instead of more toward the rear. Some players are able to start at full effort with the arm once the plant step toe hits the ground and other with less power need a more gradual or later or both start of the arm pull. And all the earlier movements to the left leg push if need be for low powered throwers.

The disc will move to the left side with the x steps alone from the reach back without moving the arm at all if you need to start later. Which reserves the arm power for later. I have had similar distances from left side arm pull start and right pec or a little later start. It took a while to get the same average distance with plant full rip start to later arm starts but i always got the longest throws with later starts. YMMV because my thumb power sucks and i get subconscious squeezing strength lightening overrides from the brain due to catastrophic injury that left me surgically operated and damaged for life. That means you need to check which arm pull starting point and rate of acceleration plus the rate at which you accelerate the acceleration of the arm acceleration gives you the most distance now. Then it is a matter of training to time the things right and ensure enough grip strength from the hand and fingers.

Skin issues may come from too tight grip early on and too loose grip where the disc slips grinding along the side of the index finger. Tips of the fingers may develop blisters from slips and tight gripping. Too many throws per day and on too many days will hurt and you should let the skin heal. It takes months to grow the skin thicker. Vitamin e rich lotions help the skinnheal quicker and possibly protect a little against skin damage. Argan oil is very expensive and mostly vitamin e. I heard that you can get pure vitamin e in the US from pharmacies and disc golfers i have heard use it say it helps a lot. Pharmaceutical and beauty companies use vitamin e for skin care products.

Squeezing hard in the beginning of a throw tenses up the arm muscles which creates tension thus resistance in the arm muscles. So the later you have loose arm muscles the faster the throw will be. Squeezing should tighten prior to when you have had the earliest slip and usually it is fumbling so the squeeze need not be hard at first once the tightening starts. It depends on your speed when real squeezing is required to prevent slips. Once the disc starts to slip from the palm it is time to finger pinch hard but it may be too late if you can delay the pivot with the palm pinch. Experimentation is required.

The big picture is that short term max distance can hurt from going in too slow to be able to hold on to the disc until 5 o'clock or later position where six is behind the disc and twelve the front and three the right side. Can you overcome slips that release the disc at one to four by training without compromising distance? You should be able to with training if you are healthy. A lot of Experimentation is needed to spot the weak spots of form and their effect on distance so you can find out what to train.

I would start with checking thumb position and pressure. First at regular pressure quarter inch increments of moving the thumb from the disc outer edge toward the center of the disc using the same disc and only counting equally good throws to check the distance. Then again from the start with additional thumb pressure. The again with the corner of the tip and finger print area of the thumb pushing down on the flight plate. Pick the longest thumb position with the best orientation and pressure for distance. Repeat the test when you gain distance elsewhere because the thumb may become the weak link once you throw farther.

Latest posts