• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Constructive criticism please

Put a shirt on, or some sun-screen?

Form-wise, it's hard to tell what kind of pull you got with the slow-motion. Looks like you were pleased with it though, so I'd call that good.

yeah, it gets hard to uphold the "slacks and a collared shirt" dress code somtimes. You might want to post your clip on another hosting site, so that people without Facebook/blocked from Facebook can see it.
It looks like you're using mostly arm and shoulder, and little to no leg and torso, in your throw. Get more mid/lower body in it, and you'll get more distance with less effort.

I'm currently have topped out at 310, so grain of salt...

I've been concentrating lately on my right foot. I'm naturally a toe turner and am trying to convert to being a heel turner to get more power in the throw. I noticed you didn't turn your right foot at all. It planted and stayed. I think over time this is going to wreak havoc on your knee.

I could be wrong, but I think you want to pivot on your toe, not your heel. If you're on your heel, your weight is back. Pivoting on your toe will give you a better weight transfer and get your body moving forward.

OP: work on pulling straight through a bit. Your arm was bent on your reach-back, and it swung out instead up through. 450' is still fun, hill or no!

I could be wrong, but I think you want to pivot on your toe, not your heel. If you're on your heel, your weight is back. Pivoting on your toe will give you a better weight transfer and get your body moving forward.

OP: work on pulling straight through a bit. Your arm was bent on your reach-back, and it swung out instead up through. 450' is still fun, hill or no!

I think you actually do want to pivot on your heel. Well actually it goes heel, toe, and then heel when you actually get to the "hit" of your throw where the disc is ripping out of your hand. At least that's the way Feldberg and Garrett Gurthie described it when putting on their driving clinic at Collegiate Disc Golf Championships last April. I have difficulty doing this, but I think it's the "correct" form.

As for form criticism, I think you need to get your hips/lower body more into your throw. You start to lead with your hips, but then you sort of stop and don't really let your hips get all the way through. Your form looks pretty good for the most part. I would also suggest to try to keep your arm straight on your reach back. You kind of start to wrap your arm around your body which can be a little counter productive and make it difficult to control your release.

Last edited:
No sh*t. Just watched some slo-mo vids and you are correct, sir. I don't know how I've missed that. Something new to work on...

Thanks for all the pointers everyone, definitely some insight into what im doin wrong. This video is from last summer and since then ive been doin some towel practice. just havent got any new video for this year. As for the toe issue, thats a tough nut to crack i watched the feldberg vid the other week and have been tryin it but its just so awkward. thanks again for all the help. gonna try and get another video up probably of putting cause that is by far the weakest link

You are doing something with your head that I used to do until I got to play a couple rounds with Peter Shive. You kept looking at your target during your whole approach, which limits some of your pull back rotation. Peter told me to actively focus on looking at a target behind me until it became second nature, and that once I got the hang of it, I should get more distance out of my drives. If you do try to implement this, be cautious, because you will be wild at first.

528410_10150651428922832_674932831_9230615_168314303_n.jpg

Thankx Kutz167 i actually noticed the head thing when i rewatched the vid last night. Definitely need to work on that cause not only does it limit my pull back rotation but my follow through is also getting cut in half cause i stop my hips.Thanks again everyone this has really helped me out and shown me my weak points now for a putting vid

I like the timing of your backswing however your footwork leaves much to be desired and jamming your hip and transferring weight forward on the plant leg. Your x-step is very deep and plant step is humungous! Stay light and quick on the feet, and keep your rear heel off the ground. As for the arm it's hard to tell from the vid and angle throwing downhill, but looks like you never relax the shoulder to properly load it. You do get your elbow to lead but it looks like its off plane. The disc comes out with a good amount of wobble.

This should help you clear the front hip and feel weight through the front heel:

Off topic, but Jesus, I've seen jail cells nicer than the room in that BH power vid was shot in.

Hold on SW, I think you're jumping the gun here. Everything you posted is correct, but he's just not there yet.

Tank:

I like that you stay down and "in" your shot and follow through. Remember to keep that same kind of finish when throwing on a level fairway.

SW is right you don't get a whole ton of momentum or speed in your form, but that's something you should work slowly up to. What would be tragic is if you take a good foundation (which I think you have) and wreck it by trying to all of the sudden upping the quickness.

First things first:

Follow all the way through. Let yourself pivot after release (you've got the beginnings of a heel pivot, which is a plus), don't try to hold up your momentum. The reason is, in order to finish the shot and not pivot you have to slow down, so when you start building up speed in your backswing you'll end up robbing yourself by slowing down at the end in order to stop your body's momentum.

Second, like was suggested before - don't rely on vision. Point/aim with your leading shoulder during your backswing and keep the disc close to your chest (you do a *decent* job of this, but can be improved to gain distance), this way you can let your head just naturally go with your body (it will also help you stay balanced).

Put some time in the field with these pointers before the course. Like I said I think you have a good base to build on, just know distance takes time. Work hard at it but don't try to rush it or you'll end up spending more time fixing bad habits than adding to your repitoire.

Hold on SW, I think you're jumping the gun here. Everything you posted is correct, but he's just not there yet.

SW is right you don't get a whole ton of momentum or speed in your form, but that's something you should work slowly up to. What would be tragic is if you take a good foundation (which I think you have) and wreck it by trying to all of the sudden upping the quickness.
This is where we differ I guess. I'm not talking about run-up speed, but short light quick feet(happy feet) is better than long flatfooted footwork that is slow and stopping momentum/fluidity/balance. You can't use your hips with a long plant and pushing off the rear heel like that.

Again thank you guys for all the input. Ive watched that video alot but obviously needed your guys outside opinion to tell me my flaws im going to work on all thats been discussed. I know it will be a slow road but atleast with all your input ill improve. I watched a bunch of videos at the beginning of last summer and they helped but i needed people like you to actually pinpoint the flaws that i couldnt see. so thank you again. headin out thursday, prolly gonna post a putting vid so you can rail me on that too.

This is where we differ I guess. I'm not talking about run-up speed, but short light quick feet(happy feet) is better than long flatfooted footwork that is slow and stopping momentum/fluidity/balance. You can't use your hips with a long plant and pushing off the rear heel like that.

Totally should incorporate that, I agree. I'm just saying it's a pretty advanced technique that can really screw up timing and accuracy.

I should have been more clear that IMO transferring the aiming to the shoulder instead of using the eyes will allow your advice to integrate easier.

Again thank you guys for all the input. Ive watched that video alot but obviously needed your guys outside opinion to tell me my flaws im going to work on all thats been discussed. I know it will be a slow road but atleast with all your input ill improve. I watched a bunch of videos at the beginning of last summer and they helped but i needed people like you to actually pinpoint the flaws that i couldnt see. so thank you again. headin out thursday, prolly gonna post a putting vid so you can rail me on that too.

Glad to help, make sure you read above - I do agree with SW22 and his advice will definitely up your game.

One more piece of advice as you integrate these changes. Make sure your arm stays relaxed and fluid especially when incorporating the more athletic run-up. The towel snap drill is a great check for whether you're actually doing itor not.

I'm just saying it's a pretty advanced technique that can really screw up timing and accuracy.
I'm not talking about accuracy here, as that is something will eventually come with practice and time, so why try to perfect accuracy at a lower distance potential. I'm just talking from a pure power perspective like Marty Peters here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q#t=6m04s