• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

contacting city park officials

condor

Hi Gang, my name is Rik Downs and I live in Taylorsville, Ky. A county magistrate, is thinking of trying to get a course there. I have been directed to contact course pros, disc golfers, etc in a attempt to get them to give me names of contacts in the local town governments. The idea is that we hope that these government officials could write short letters to extol the positive virtues of having a disc golf course. We then will take these letters to the Taylorsville 'powers-that-be' to prove to them this is something to consider. Could you help me by providing me with name(s) and #s or previous posts to this site? Thanks a lot, Rik

I can get you Dave Greenwell's contact info, he can help with design and possibly a good plan on how to approach officials. He has designed some beautiful coarses and is in Louisville. Not sure officials are the right group to get help from. Mostly they are the problem. Here in Louisville it is apparently a b*#ch to get the parks dept to even consider a change to anything to the parks, due to most being designed by Olmstead who is a parks god. See here for more info http://www.olmstedparks.org/ .
The popularity of the sport can not be denied in this area. One thing is for sure, the Louisville Metro needs more coarses. One has just to walk Iroquois, Otter Creek, and Vettiner to a lesser extent to see how much traffic those coarses are getting. Cincy and Bowling Green have many more coarses then the Metro, there is a need. I still think the ball golf coarses at Zorn and I71 should be converted, nothing is happening except two soccer fields, what a waist. If I can help let me know, if you want to talk to Greenwell PM me.

very late reply

Dave did design the course at Taylorsville Lake State Park and we have been trying to get it installed now for like 7-8 years!!!! The State just can't seem to give us final free reign. They want the course to be ADA compliant! I am at a loss as to how you make a disc golf course ADA compliant!

Dave did design the course at Taylorsville Lake State Park and we have been trying to get it installed now for like 7-8 years!!!! The State just can't seem to give us final free reign. They want the course to be ADA compliant! I am at a loss as to how you make a disc golf course ADA compliant!

Crap that's a looong time. Why not just tell them it IS ada compliant and see what they say? At the least you'll get your answer as to what they want you to do, if anything. As long as there are no elevated tees and wheelchair access is available to all the baskets and tee pads, you should be good, in theory.

the ADA stipulation came up with the course I'm designing. As long as half the holes are accessible=ADA compliant.

Latest posts