• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Contracts with the City Parks and Rec HELP

Terry 44

Birdie Member
We have gotten the go ahead to seek sponsors for equipment to build a course on a public park. Does anyone have a contracts that are given to the sponsors and to the Parks and Rec department?

These are some ideas that will be on contracts.....

Sponsors:
Name on tee sign
How long the course will in (how long their advertisement will be there)
How big their ad will be on the sign

Parks and Rec:
-How long the course will be in the ground minimum years
-If the course is pulled (before min.) the baskets will be returned to sponsors
-Sponsors name on tee sign and how large
-That the local DG community with 30days notice may be able to use said baskets for tournaments on non-permanent courses

Just curious if anyone has this kind of paperwork. I would hate to collect money and put in a course and have it pulled, or buy baskets and have someone say sorry the City Council said no after the fact.

I'm also currently in the process of getting a course approved in a city park. I don't think I would even start purchasing equipment or getting sponsors until I heard from the city council.

In Lexington, once the baskets were installed they essentially became Parks property. I'm gathering that they were considered a donation of equipment to public property. I haven't ever heard of them remaining private sponsor property. I believe this was the case (what I was told) for Veterans park in which the money for the baskets were raised through sponsorship then donated to Parks and Rec as equipment.
It'd be interesting to find out if you'd be-able to draft and get the city to actually sign a contract for a matter like this.

Are either the City and/or the sponsors requesting contracts?

Neither are requesting contracts. I wanted to have something drafted so that all parties are covered. The city gets a disc golf course for free, but the sponsors don't pay for them to be pulled and sit in a county basement. Would you pay $1,000.00 to have something dug up in a year? City gets the equipment donated and the land is used (it isn't being used now). But that kind of money donation should have some kind of reassurance that it will be money well spent.

Or am I totally off base?

Is there any particular reason why you are concerned with the course being pulled shortly after it is installed? :popcorn:

No, but it is also surprising to me that this kind of contract does not exist. If I was going to invest $1,000.00 into advertising I would want to know what I am getting. I would like to have something in concrete before I ask for sponsorship. I don't want to go in someplace all willy nilley and ask for money without some justification.

Maybe I'm off base, can someone shed some light on what is given by the city in writing before you seek sponsors and what paperwork people have used in the past when seeking sponsorship for equipment?

I will ask for a letter of intent, some kind of letter of guarantee.

Still surprised someone on this forum has never asked or received one. :(

I would think that a board's official OK vote during an official meeting on this as an agenda item would be your go ahead.

So the director of Parks and Recreation cannot just give the go ahead. It must come to a city council vote? The land is not being used by anyone..... I had believed this to be a done deal when he said seek sponsorship.

First, I am interested in finding out more about the process of working with city and/or county governments to get more courses installed, so thanks for starting this thread.

Anyway, I do not currently have any experience with this, so the best bet I could think of would be contacting some people who have successfully went through the process from start to finish. If you already know some people who have been through the process, might see what they have to say. If not, feel free to send me a private message (I know of email addresses from two people from Oregon's disc golf scene that might know the answer to some of your questions).

Hope this might help.

Ahh, Libertyland.

I see what you're saying here terry. Having something concrete to show an investor makes a huge difference. It gives them something to hold and look at and comprehend to assist in decision making.

BOOM! That's all I'm looking for. Just a form letter for both the Parks and Rec and potential sponsors.

Anyway, I'm meeting with the director today so I will go after this myself, and post my letters here for future reference.

Thanks again!

Latest posts