• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Convert from Ball Golf

Sorg67

I have played ball golf for almost 40 years. Took it pretty seriously for a while. Never got really good, but got to the point that anything over 80 was disappointing and broke par for 9 holes several times.

Now after 2 years of playing disc golf I already enjoy it more. Ball golf got to the point that it was work and I am determined to not let disc golf turn into work. I like keeping it a feel sport. I am working on my technique a bit, but I do not want to get as tied up in technique as I did in ball golf.

I am playing my first tournament in February. I like competition. I like to score well. I want to improve. But I want to develop my own game. I want to learn about the physics of disc flight and understand the techniques to produce certain shots. But I do not want to get myself confused by too much mechanical thinking. I want to be a feel player. If that limits my scoring potential, so be it. Fun is priority #1, scoring is only an objective to the extent that it contributes to priority #1.

I like a lot about disc golf, but the number one thing I like about disc golf is the people. I have yet to meet a disc golfer I do not like. All very cool laid back people who are fun to be around. Great community!!

Welcome to the site, the fun, and the addiction! You're playing for all the right reasons. One of my greatest joys in disc golf is the three dimensionality of disc flight. There's nothing like the first time you see a well executed, strong hyzer flip carve the line and 'snake' through a set of obstacles on its way to the pin!

Welcome! I am quite new as well, and like you played ball golf for many years. I always loved the outdoors and the experience. I never minded the time it takes to play, because I enjoyed just being out there. However, I grew to dislike many of the people in it, and the expense is outrageous if you want to play a lot. I still play both, but much more disc golf now than ball!

Disc golf drive is just a one handed ball golf swing with a more closed stance and depending on the shot line a more horizontal swing plane.

Welcome to the site, the fun, and the addiction! You're playing for all the right reasons. One of my greatest joys in disc golf is the three dimensionality of disc flight. There's nothing like the first time you see a well executed, strong hyzer flip carve the line and 'snake' through a set of obstacles on its way to the pin!

Definitely! Even in ball golf I loved the flight of hitting a high draw, now I'm doing the same thing with a disc. The bonus for disc golf is there is a lot more movement possible than with a ball, which I like :D

Grab a neutral putter and start hitting different lines with it. I know its difficult, but try not to get wrapped up in a ton of different discs. Get a putter out 250+ and start experimenting with more plastic. WELCOME!!

Grab a neutral putter and start hitting different lines with it. I know its difficult, but try not to get wrapped up in a ton of different discs. Get a putter out 250+ and start experimenting with more plastic. WELCOME!!
too late hahaha aleady wrapped in plastic. working on up wrapping myself.

You might love playing dg out on a ball golf course. Not sure where you live but its becoming a more common thing it seems in recent years to add disc golf to courses

Welcome to the sport! I agree with you about the players. One of my favorite parts of playing is the friendly vibe you experience from the other players.

Welcome to one of the best sports of all time. If you want to get better grab light slightly understable discs and find a good practice field.

I would agree about the peoole. I have already gotten more help in my game in just 3 montgs of playing than i did in 20 years in ball golf. I also like the price of disc golf. I just hope that the sport doesn't get so popular that people start charging the same as ball golf to play. I can not wait to get back to the states so i can play other courses as i only have 2 options here in south korea.