• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Converting to Lat 64, question about disc comparisons

Close to a Z Wasp.

Depends on the Wasp maybe, but I think the Pain is kind of between a Wasp and Hornet, with better distance. GL Pains are a very slightly less hss than the opto, and a little more dome will increase the stability. Most of the Pains I've thrown have had the same or more hss than Wasps or Hornets, but with a smaller, dependable fade. Opto Pain is my favorite now out of all the os mids I've played with.

Possibly. But your being a little picky. Wasp and Pain are GENERALLY close. Not exact. Sorry...

Not really being picky, but I do come from a perspective that deals with a lot of high winds, so that hss gets pretty important and it often influences my comments. I used to throw both of those discs and came to prefer the Hornet if I didn't need something super overstable, even though I didn't want all the fade that the Hornet has. Pain just fits the gap there so nicely. I only went through four Wasps, and only one of those had a good zero-rating hss, so I've just never seen that disc as a dependable os mid (for the winds). That may not matter in a lot of places, and in the trees, etc.

Yes, what was the bet about?

The bet was to see if I could shoot my rating at worlds having switched to all Lat discs...

Came about because we ran into Ragna Bygde in the proshop at worlds, and talked to her for like an hour about the fact that I really like the plastics, but had problems finding mids and putters to suit me.

So her sales pitch (hot looks mostly) got me curious, and one of my buddies said "You can't switch before worlds!"...to which I replied... "well, it's not like I have a shot at winning...but I bet I can shoot my rating with them"..
Ragna added "you could do it"...
and that was that...

Needless to say, I didn't win the bet... played the worst golf ever... Averaged 830 each round(wasn't the disc's fault...well maybe the putters were to blame a little)...my rating (for now) is a 903

ended up switching back to my normal bag the last day...and shot an 821 round and a 1012 round...
...go figure...

Looking for a little help on picking my next Lat64 disc. Absolutely loving my GL River for straight as an arrow/understable drives, and my GL Villain when I need a little more distance and a slightly more reliable stable run and finish on it.

What I want now is something reliably overstable for decent to hard left turns. All RHBH here obviously. Right now my go to disc in this situation is a Champion Archon, so I guess I'm looking to replace it. The Bolt, Havoc, Halo, Riot, and Flow all seem like contenders for this spot, so I'm looking for a little bit of differentiation here. The Bolt, Havoc, and Halo are probably too fast for me, as the Archon is the fastest disc I currently throw, and I can tend to meathook it at times (although for my purposes, this is what I want sometimes too.) The Riot & Flow have almost identical ratings via discgolfcenter, so just curious for any real world use.

Thanks Lat64 fanboys!

I'm failing to find the ability to edit my above post, so a quick correction. I meant a VISION not a VILLAIN. Sorry.

I think Freud ('ian slip) answered your question...

I love the Villain for exactly what you described... it's like a really fast firebird for me... Predictable forward fade...and a great wind fighter...in fact I think it flys better in the wind.

and it's got a smaller rim compared to the warp speed drivers of the Lat line...so your grip shouldn't feel much different going from the vision to that

The rim on a Villain is pretty close to a Starfire imo, I prefer the latter but the Villain is a good disc too. Pain is also my favorite OS midrange after my Gators.

Latest posts