• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Convex wing stable drivers

Better form and/or hyzerflipping. Nobody needs a "forehand" disc.

But what if I want to go straight with a dumpy fade to the right at the end? I throw FH with very little OAT... the smoothest form in the world is not going to give me the flight I want out of my heat or a roadrunner.

As said numerous times, convex = more understable...

Yeah I know, otherwise why would I have made this thread smart guy? :\

All else held equal, a concave rim is going to give me the flight I'm looking for. But I am curious as to what discs exist out there that overcome a convex rim with a high PLH for example to achieve a more OS flight.

I wasn't trying to be rude it's just the truth. Sorry not sorry.

Why wouldn't an Eagle/TB/Rival/trillion other stable discs do that for you? If it HAS to be convex (relatively speaking) then disc up to something faster. Otherwise (wo)man up and accept the mold may have to be more on the concave side.

Again I don't mean to be rude but the magical disc you're searching for is much harder to come by than accepting some change in your gameplay. I post on these boards to improve others gameplay through my own knowledge...not to tell everyone what they always want to hear. Check out my tag under my username if you don't believe me.

If you want a not too popular choice a Gateway Illusion has a straight wing. An Illusion with a high plh can be pretty overstable.

Like others have said, convex bottoms create a more understable flight, so anything with a convex bottom will have to have a very overstable top to get a neutral-overstable flight. The Tracker was my first thought. Surge/Surge SS/Rogue aren't really noticeabley convex, but they're pretty flat.

Like others have said, convex bottoms create a more understable flight, so anything with a convex bottom will have to have a very overstable top to get a neutral-overstable flight. The Tracker was my first thought. Surge/Surge SS/Rogue aren't really noticeabley convex, but they're pretty flat.

Right, so is a Wraith. It's not a convex wing but it's not really all that concave either. Just barely. A good Wraith or Surge is still one of the great FH discs of all time, imho.

But what about the V discs? The Vroc is the only one I've thrown, but I know the convex bottom on the rim makes it more resistant to high speed turn. It just seems strange, because I would agree, most discs follow the logic of convex=understable and concave=overstable. Except the V discs.

I happen to have a Luster Savant and it is definitely more OS than the numbers say. It is the disc the OP is requesting. I found that it was actually better to FH than a Champ ThunderBird. It feels kinda weird in the hand but that makes sense now.

I happen to have a Luster Savant and it is definitely more OS than the numbers say. It is the disc the OP is requesting. I found that it was actually better to FH than a Champ ThunderBird. It feels kinda weird in the hand but that makes sense now.

There is truth in this statement.

I can recommend the TD for forehand. The C-lines I've seen have been flat topped which I like for flicking.

You might check out the Krait for the convex rim, though may not be overstable for big arms.

They work fine for forehands. Sarah (Stanhope) Cunningham won a world championship with them. Matt Dollar threw them forehand when he was with innova.

She has champ Sidewinders for sale, the stamp is pretty unique too. I picked up two but have not tried them out yet. (sorry, don't know how to resize image)

Cunningham.jpg

I love the humor, and what an excellent choice of vehicle. Westfalia campers are super great!

But what about the V discs? The Vroc is the only one I've thrown, but I know the convex bottom on the rim makes it more resistant to high speed turn. It just seems strange, because I would agree, most discs follow the logic of convex=understable and concave=overstable. Except the V discs.

Like Booter said, the VRoc has both concave and convex portions on the lower mold. I haven't seen any other V discs that I remember. My take on the VRoc is they added a bead to a Mako to put a concave portion on it.

I'm no physicist, but I'm pretty sure the cause is increasing the distance wind has to travel above or below the parting line in a ^2 fashion as opposed to a ^1/2 fashion. Fast moving air is less dense, so putting a concave bottom on a disc will cause air to travel a greater distance under the disc than over (relative to other discs), and thus decrease resistance below the disc and decrease lift. Decreased lift (iirc) causes the COG to move more rearward which causes an upward pitch which will make the disc move against gravity which will slow down the disc moving it closer to its LSS than its HSS.

Latest posts