• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Convince me to play competetively

All I do is practice and I dont have a problem with it. So why should I start playing in leagues or full scored rounds? Thanks!

If you don't have the competitive bug by now, you ain't gonna get it. Stay happy and keep throwing plastic as you have been.

I would compete while your young,you have that competitive drive and when you win it's o so fun lol.

When you get older tournaments are nice,but I would just rather play with friends and help others on the course.

I use to travel and play all sorts of course,but now I just play locally and maybe once a month go on a road trip to play bigger courses.

The "just for fun" attitude is above all. I think its even reccomended in the disc golfer's code. Anyway, yes fun is #1! So if you find competing fun then do it. I think a vast majority of people who take any kind of interest in any game that can be played against another individual enjoy some competition governed by the ethics of good sport and rules of said game. I am trying to adopt this mentality that it's me against the course no matter what. Then if my score tallies up better than yours well, that's good as well. Leagues have helped me get comfortable with playing with other people and competing. I am working my way into tourneys slowly. Like Discfifty said "if you don't have the bug by now...." Anyway, good luck!

Okay, here's another perspective, from an amateur musician.

I distinguish between three modes: practice, performance, play. They have significantly different mindsets and though the fundamentals of execution are the same for all of them, the approach is different.

Here's a TED talk from a guy who uses only two modes: practice and performance. It is worth watching because it applies directly to your dilemma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKACzIrog24&list=PLOGi5-fAu8bEUnIt2TJMHaJFF5CkOROZz

I enjoy the course management side of the game quite a bit. When to get aggressive, when to throw backwards just to make sure my next shot does not have a good chance of being in jail, when to throw to the base of the pole, when to give it a run, etc.

Not keeping score or throwing a bunch of shots until I get a good one, would take away that enjoyment for me.

As for tournaments, i have not yet played one and may never, but I am certain playing with better players would help me improve faster by showing me different types of shots, lines, techniques etc.

I enjoy the course management side of the game quite a bit. When to get aggressive, when to throw backwards just to make sure my next shot does not have a good chance of being in jail, when to throw to the base of the pole, when to give it a run, etc.

Not keeping score or throwing a bunch of shots until I get a good one, would take away that enjoyment for me.

As for tournaments, i have not yet played one and may never, but I am certain playing with better players would help me improve faster by showing me different types of shots, lines, techniques etc.

But doesn't the poorly thrown shot, causing you to have to scramble, stay in your mind? I would have trouble just hoping that same shot comes around again, just waiting causes me problems haha.

I suppose my thinking has always been this for example; If this hole is a par 3, and i want to be able to birdie it, this hole is mostly about the tee shot. If I can learn to throw this shot, give myself an inside the circle putt consistently, then that is the best way to achieve the desire goal/outcome. The experience I gain in upshots, scrambling and long puts I will never be able to rely on making regularly because the probability is just too low does not assist me in my goal of being able to consistently play that hole for birdie, the tee shot does, so that is what I will spend my time on. I realize the experience I dismiss is applicable to other situations, but again, scrambling and long puts will never be part of a reasonable plan of attack. Upshots will, but on a hole where thats the play, or the best i do, ill practice upshots then. I suppose ultimately I am driving at the idea that experience playing yourself out of trouble, saving par are skills that are essentially only necessary in competition. Which would me you are spending your time gaining experience with skills under scrutiny mostly during league or tournament play....yes/no?

I think I have an idea in my mind which drives what i do as well. Regarding muscle memory and repetition, I think it would be best to always add the feel of executing the shot properly versus not doing so. Meaning, if I throw a bad shot, then just play on, I've added the wrong way to throw that shot to my muscle memory and thats it. I think its probably even worse to repeatedly add experience to muscle memory which is the same bad shot multiple times. With respect to that notion, is why i want to at least throw the poorly thrown shot properly at least once. Ideally, I would want to repeat the properly thrown shot as many times as possible. Here I am talking about shots which I know i have, ones which tend to cause irritation because we know we should make that throw, we made it, or similar shots, many times before.

Well i see the benefit of exposure to superior ability. What about exposure to the best ability there is in the form of tournament videos. Is seeing goodness in person more beneficial than seeing it on a screen. I can replay actual humans lol, cant play them at 1/4 speed.

Again, 2 nights, no sleep, forgive me.

I just read the first page, having arrived a week late... I'm curious, if you never play any type of competitive round, why do you practice? And how would you know if your practice is working if you're not keeping score?

I get that you enjoy practicing, but if you never play in any scored competition, what are you practicing for? What is the ultimate goal of your practice? You likely have the muscle memory down about as well as you are going to get it.

Competition adds things like someone to chat with while you play. It also teaches you how to do things like let a bad shot go instead of throwing compulsively until you get a good one.

You also allow yourself new victories for example:
That one is in the trees, instead of being mad about that I pulled an amazing anny and frigging parked it.
Im stuck behind that tree luckily i practiced my spread stance and nailed the putt anyway.

Im not saying that practice and casual rounds with friends aren't fun, im saying competition is also fun in different ways. Heck, you might find something during a competitive round that you get to have fun practicing later.

My pitch would be the social aspect. I have met and become friend with a group of great old guys my age. In addition to the dozens of great folks that I have met and played with. All from different walks of life. After tournament rounds, we pull out the lawn chairs and share some cold ones in the geezer circle of perspiration.

In all honesty, I do play because tournament because I get jazz'd on the competition. It feeds a lifelong desire to compete.

There is actually a group that I'm a part of in Biloxi, MS called The Old Geezer Disc Golf Club. I'm the only member that plays league but all of them could be in the top 10 of our league if they did. They just play for fun but they keep score so they can talk crap between each other. I like league because I get a chance to hit an ace pot but also because just seeing other people play will change your game since you will see people do things with discs that you would never have thought to do.

I just read the first page, having arrived a week late... I'm curious, if you never play any type of competitive round, why do you practice? And how would you know if your practice is working if you're not keeping score?

I know if practice is working by watching discs fly, where they land and comparing that to the intended line and target =)

I know if practice is working by watching discs fly, where they land and comparing that to the intended line and target =)

But the thing is that golf is about perfection -- getting that intended flight first time, every time, and surviving when you miss. Even the best disc golfer in the world can't throw a perfect round, or do it consistently. Completing a round where you managed to hit that intended line every time on the first shot, or even managed to save some holes after bad shots, is what I always strive for when I "play competitively." For the record, I've never played a tournament and have played only one (maybe two?) minis. But I record lots of rounds where I only play my first shot, even if I'm throwing some extra practice shots on the side.

Another question about this is...What would I gain from throwing only one poor shot, during a competitive round, that is better than being able to immediately throw that same shot 5 more times to try to understand what i did wrong and the feel of throwing it properly? I have trouble seeing how, if achieving my potential is the goal, that a competitive round would offer me something I am not getting currently. There must be something, given how many people who get really into it, that I am not seeing. This is what I am asking...Not if what I am doing is acceptable, ill determine that....Im asking if I am missing out on an opportunity to improve.

Stress. Pressure. Adrenalin.
Tournaments make you perform under pressure. That stress will test your form. Any little hitch in your form will be aggravated under tournament situations.

Finding out what your flaws are during a tournament will help you realize your potential.

You should already know how to throw a disc properly. You may not always do it. But you know what you did wrong. What does throwing a few more discs until you get it right really teach you? Not much.

Now, step up to the teepad in a tournament and throw one properly executed shot. It takes tremendous focus and concentration that you will never get on the practice field. You may throw a great shot, or you may miss your target line just a smidge, or you may revert to old buried habits and completely shank one.

But you'll never know because you aren't playing competitively. You'll never know what your true potential that you are seeking really is.

Stress. Pressure. Adrenalin.
Tournaments make you perform under pressure. That stress will test your form. Any little hitch in your form will be aggravated under tournament situations.

Finding out what your flaws are during a tournament will help you realize your potential.

You should already know how to throw a disc properly. You may not always do it. But you know what you did wrong. What does throwing a few more discs until you get it right really teach you? Not much.

Now, step up to the teepad in a tournament and throw one properly executed shot. It takes tremendous focus and concentration that you will never get on the practice field. You may throw a great shot, or you may miss your target line just a smidge, or you may revert to old buried habits and completely shank one.

But you'll never know because you aren't playing competitively. You'll never know what your true potential that you are seeking really is.
And... you know.... having fun is another good reason. Thowing frisbees in the woods with other people that like doing that too is fun.

Do you like long backups?

Do you like paying to play golf and getting tournament stamped discs you'll never throw?

Do you like to practice putting daily, Or do you like missing putts you normaly would otherwise make or getting "tourney" rolls?

Do you like drinking only water during rounds? How bout cheap hot dogs?

Do you like wasting An entire day for a single round and then waiting for some scrip after?

I'm kidding of course. They're not that fun :p

And... you know.... having fun is another good reason. Thowing frisbees in the woods with other people that like doing that too is fun.

I agree with you. I play tournaments, and sometimes they aren't fun. I much prefter a friendly game.

BUT

I was responding to OP who has been rather obstinate on having someone convince him to play competitive golf. And what I said to him was true.
You can practice bad form with a lot of repetitions and have an adequate throw. But once you challange that form in a tournament...it all falls apart. Trust me. I was that guy.

Now I realize that you need really good fundamentals. Now when I practice, its for rythm and touch. Mostly putting. And when I play a tournament a few times a year, I'm competitve. I dont win, but I dont come in last either. And I usually get a few compliments on my game. That's success for me.

Hopefully, OP can find his success. It's all individual. But there's no reason not to play a tournament or two if you never had. Its a learning experience if nothing else, and maybe you'll make a few friends. Heck you might even have fun!

Do you like long backups?

Do you like paying to play golf and getting tournament stamped discs you'll never throw?

Do you like to practice putting daily, Or do you like missing putts you normaly would otherwise make or getting "tourney" rolls?

Do you like drinking only water during rounds? How bout cheap hot dogs?

Do you like wasting An entire day for a single round and then waiting for some scrip after?

I'm kidding of course. They're not that fun :p

I dont like long backups. Some TD's are better than others at spacing out tee times, and shotgun starts.

Yes, I like practicing putting daily, and i dont miss putts i would normally make or not make. Tourney rolls happen in practice too, we just dont recognize them. Practice making those roll aways in practice and you wont get rattled.

I like water. I really like Gatorade. I dont drink anything else on the course, even during practice or casual rounds. Hot dogs are not food. I bring my own.

Wasting a day is NOT playing disc golf. I do agree about the garbage players packs - especially when they give out Innova crap. Blech.

Tournaments can be fun. They can be frustrating. They can seem never ending if your just having a horrible day throwing the disc. And then there are days when you make a few magical shots, and it's all good.

No one is going to convince another person of anything they really don't believe in doing to begin with. But for the life of me I can not see how just going and throwing a disc for the heck of it, not even playing casual rounds with friends/family, can be any fun. Kind of sounds like playing Monopoly or something but not collecting any rents, buying any properties, etc. just rolling the dice to see how many times you can roll a certain throw. I'd have been bored with that eons ago. I don't play tournaments either and probably never will with my skill level (even in the age 60 and over category) but I couldn't see NOT keeping score when I am out on the course, even for solo practice rounds. I like to know if I am scoring better and making progress in my game. IMHO, there is no "game' when it's nothing but just throwing a disc by oneself.