• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Convincing Local Parks & Rec to Build Courses

NothinButChing

* Ace Member *
How many have gone through the actual process of getting a course installed at a park or college campus?

I know cost comes into play prob the most since there is little ways of making the money back n the dynamics of the park change forever after the course is there.

Please help me out with information and more knowledge about this topic!

Utah is a beautiful place in need of many more courses!

There are many factors that come in to play regarding getting a course built. PDGA and Disc Golf Association both have some great resources on getting courses built on their websites. It helps to get in contact with local parks and recreation offices to plant the seed. PDGA has a sample course proposal you can edit to meet your needs. Submit that along with some ideas you have. This would include locations, costs, benefits of the sport. Go in to the meeting (if you get one) with a professional attitude about the sport. Encourage the benefits and let them see your passion for the sport.

Be firm but flexible about your ideas. If your goal is to put in an 18 hole championship course and the only funding they have is for a 9 hole course then weigh your options for the course. Decide what you are willing to compromise with. Things such as concrete tee pads and multiple pins are great, but can come later. Consider where your funding is coming from. (grants, tax dollars, donations) Oftentimes you can get in-kind donations, volunteer labor and other things to help get the course built.

The city may not see money back for the course in a pay-to-play aspect(unless that is your goal), but may see an increase in out of town folks coming to play the course and spending $ when they are in town. The city may also see a benefit of investing a sport that gets people outdoors. Emphasize that an 18 hole course can accommodate more than 100 people at one time. This is much more than a baseball field, soccer field, or playground and can cost much much less.

Create a long term goal for disc golf and the city. If DG is something new to the area then you may have to start small to gather interest for the city to invest more $ in to the sport. Work with local clubs (if any), schools, and businesses to generate interest and $.

My experience/ time line went like this: 1. Presented a proposal to the city's parks & rec advisory board three times with increasing details once initial plans were approved. 2. Presented the proposal to city council to gain approval. 3. Get the neighborhood approval. 4. Presented proposal to donors and grant foundations. 4. Design and build the course. 5. Installation of the course. 6. Improvements.

We were forced to concede to a 9-hole course to start with. The course has increased in popularity in the year since it has been open. We are in the early stages of presenting the next stage of our DG proposal to the city which will include an 18 hole championship course. We expect that to be built in the next 5 years.

that's a lot of great information.

thanks for guiding me to the pdga website, should have been an ovious place to go look. I'm very surprised with the amount of information and step by step plans you can use as blueprints and use.

starting with 9 holes is still a start.

Unless a new course goes onto a ski resort in this area I dont see being able to charge pay-to-play.

Looks like its all about the preparation and delivery of the proposal. Thanks again for point in right direction to get that started!

I seen some land that is going to be getting improved in the next couple of years and I emailed the director of parks about it..just giving a little pitch or more of a idea popper to them...they said since the county already has a disc golf course in the area they don't really tend to have duplicate resources in the same county...but they said they havn't ruled it out yet and will keep it as an idea...we will see in the next few years or at least a year when they get it approved to use the land...then I will pitch a proposal! lol

I pulled it off with zero experience. My advice: persistently confident. Disc Golf is one of the best sports (financially on both ends, environmentally, learning curve etc...) that almost no one has ever heard of. It's not so much about convincing, but more about making a Rec Commission confused as to why no one had presented such a no brainer idea to them earlier.

http://geocities.com/discgolfcourse/about

The course I've been working on is being installed this weekend. A 6,000' plus lake side 18 hole course in a fantastic community park. The main issue with the park was that it wasn't used that much. People in the area were not using much more than the jogging trail and the mayor wanted to see the park used more. The idea of a disc golf course was pitched and it was approved. Now we're dropping in baskets this weekend and have our grand opening tournament in November.

The key is to point out the benefits that disc golf can offer a park. Talk about park usage because a good course in a good park can put 30-50 people a day in the park alone. On the weekends that number may triple. Park boards like numbers like that.

If the park is having trouble with the wrong type of crowd disc golf can again help. Having a constant stream of people wanting to use the park for the right type of activities can help drive away the wrong element.

Finally, pitch the course idea along with letters from area businesses pledging to donate towards a course. If a city sees that you want to put in a 9 hole course and you have six holes sponsored for $500-1,000 each they're going to like the idea much more. A sign-up sheet of volunteers to help with the installation can also help.

Kind of on topic, if you have experience proposing a course, would you be interested in sharing your formal proposals if you had one?

I spent the last 2 years as the chair of the rec board at the University of Kansas and talks about building a course has come and gone for the past 15 years... but everyone who came forward lacked a really good formal proposal. It seems there are so many people on this site who are deeply involved with new courses that someone might have some documents that could really help plant seeds for even more courses.

Smaple Course Proposal at the PDGA site

Kind of on topic, if you have experience proposing a course, would you be interested in sharing your formal proposals if you had one?

I spent the last 2 years as the chair of the rec board at the University of Kansas and talks about building a course has come and gone for the past 15 years... but everyone who came forward lacked a really good formal proposal. It seems there are so many people on this site who are deeply involved with new courses that someone might have some documents that could really help plant seeds for even more courses.

Jartiv, Contact me and I can give you our proposal for our local course - but we just used the PDGA Sample Course Proposal from here:

http://www.pdga.com/course-development

an editable Word document.

Cliff

Latest posts