• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Corona Virus and Leagues

ballgolfconvert

Eagle Member
I run a league with anywhere from 20-40 players. i am starting to get a bit worried about handling the cash from everyone, I am no spring chicken. I have considered making everyone pay by paypal, but not everyone uses it, and some are charged depending on how they fund it, so not a great solution.

Any other league directors getting a bit worried? Any ideas on how to reduce risk?

Signed,

Chicken Little

"Cash could be spreading the coronavirus, warns the World Health Organization"

https://www.businessinsider.com/cash-could-spread-coronavirus-warns-world-health-organization-2020-3

They recommend the steps that you all have recommended. I guess I won't need this.

SUB-JP-HOSPITAL1-superJumbo.jpg

Require correct cash amount. People put into some container. Not sure what to do about payouts.

Wear disposable gloves when handling cash. Don't touch your face. Wash hands with soap after done handling money, or if soap not available use hand sanitizer.

Since the virus is airborne cash is not the only way to spread the disease. Just breathing in the same air that an infected person exhaled is enough. Anyone handling infected cash has the potential to be a carrier of the virus and all they have to do is be in close proximity to you for you to contract it. If you're really concerned about it, you should avoid any social gatherings.

Uhhh... nope. Its not airborne. Even common influenza does not spread like that, breath from breath, and common influenza spreads much more rapidly than this one.

Uhhh... nope. Its not airborne. Even common influenza does not spread like that, breath from breath, and common influenza spreads much more rapidly than this one.

Common influenza does indeed spread like this. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm

Part of the reason COVID-19 is scaring people is that it's more lethal and it spreads faster. People infected with influenza on average infect 1-2 others (some flu seasons it's higher, some lower). People infected with COVID-19 so far on average infect 2-3 others. The 10 year mortality rate in the US for influenza is about 0.1%, the global mortality rate for COVID-19 is currently at 3.4%.

Common influenza does indeed spread like this. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm

Part of the reason COVID-19 is scaring people is that it's more lethal and it spreads faster. People infected with influenza on average infect 1-2 others (some flu seasons it's higher, some lower). People infected with COVID-19 so far on average infect 2-3 others. The 10 year mortality rate in the US for influenza is about 0.1%, the global mortality rate for COVID-19 is currently at 3.4%.
3.4% of diagnosed cases. The big x-factor is, how many people are never diagnosed since they only get mild cold-like symptoms and don't see a doctor much less get tested? The influenza stats take into account estimates of total cases which are reasonably accurate since we have so much data on the flu.

Either way, you certainly don't want to get this but hand washing with soap and water before eating or touching your face is the best defense.

If you're really worried about cash (and have a source of electricity at the course)), then only accept bills, have your players place them in a microwave, and nuke for a couple of minutes (might need to experiment on the time).

Still not convinced. Doesnt spread faster. (Because symptomless people seem not transmit it, unlike with seasonal flu). Can be contained with correct action, whereas seasonal flu cannot.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-coronavirus-different-than-influenza-can-be-contained/

Seasonal flu still kills way more people. Yet people are not freaking out about that. Proper hygiene is always smart tho.

I think they're still doing research on whether people without symptoms can transmit the disease or not. There is still a lot that is not known about the virus. We do know that people showing symptoms are at high risk of transmitting the disease, but we also know that there have been cases where people have gotten the disease after being exposed to someone not yet showing symptoms. So while it's not as likely you can't say that it's impossible. If you couldn't transmit it without showing symptoms then nobody would have a 14-day quarantine in place for people that have been to areas with active infections.

And yes, seasonal flu kills way more people. I find that many people don't take the flu seriously, which is a big part of the reason. Coronavirus is still new so we don't know enough about it, but the little information we have does show that it has the potential to kill more people than the flu. If you believe we should take the flu seriously because of how many people it kills each year, then we should definitely take this new virus seriously as well.

I agree about the hygiene comment. I'm glad people finally take their time to wash their hands when going to the bathroom. If there is one big positive about Coronavirus, that is it.

Yeah. All the preventive measures are good for many common diseases you may want to avoid as well, so all for the better.

Except that it doesnt spead airborne as an aerosol (coughing, sneezing i.e. producing droplets is another thing but even that doesnt linger in the air) unlike measles for example. So for example the "ventilate hotel rooms regularly" like in the below otherwise fine document, does nothing really other than keep the rooms not smelling stuffy.

https://www.pdga.com/announcements/pdga-guidance-regarding-covid-19-novel-coronavirus

You could always just ask that anybody that feels even remotely sick to stay away for a couple weeks. Its not like were dealing with somebody that has to risk going to work because they can't afford to stay home. People need to have respect for others and missing a week or two of league night isn't a travesty. They can always play by themselves if they need to get their fix.

One idea my weekend group was throwing around awhile back when we were trying to figure out different ways to add a bet to our weekend game(before we just settled on quarter skins and $1 for metal) might also work. Have everyone bring a disc instead of money. You can disinfect a disc rather quickly with cleaning sprays or Clorox wipes. I would think most people coming to league nights have spare plastic laying around. Winner gets first pick of a set number of discs and so on down the line.

Other than that, there really isn't much you can do other than just canceling it altogether. People are likely contagious before they are really showing symptoms and this time of year, the very early stages(before the fever kicks in) can be confused with spring allergy problems.

Last edited:
Nobody knows how this will play out and we certainly can't count on the government to tell us the truth. The biggest burden will be placed on local health department officials who will have to deal with large gatherings of people as a risk factor for spreading the virus. If there are large numbers of corona cases in your area they may decide to ban any event that attracts more than a few participants. I just think we all need to be prepared for tournament, league and festival cancellations as the situation unfolds. It's going to be a tough 12-18 months for everyone until a vaccine is available.

I run a league with anywhere from 20-40 players. i am starting to get a bit worried about handling the cash from everyone, I am no spring chicken. I have considered making everyone pay by paypal, but not everyone uses it, and some are charged depending on how they fund it, so not a great solution.

Any other league directors getting a bit worried? Any ideas on how to reduce risk?

Signed,

Chicken Little

As to the cash, the league could always go to playing for points, or just fun.

I'd think leagues will parallel life in general. If people are still going out in the world, shopping and hitting bars and mostly-normal life, a disc golf league (and even its cash) would seem like one of the tamer things they do. If enough people in an area are self-quarantining, or self-semi-quarantining, the question will answer itself. And as that goes along, if the people who run the leagues (you) withdraw, someone else can take up the duties.

Nobody knows how this will play out and we certainly can't count on the government to tell us the truth.

Really? Come on. Those kind of statements don't help this kind of situation. I do agree with most of what you wrote in your post. Just save the conspiracy theories for another time.

There are too many what ifs at this point. Throwing the CDC under the bus as some kind of deep state arm of the government to mislead people is just a fallacy.

Everyone needs to be proactive and work together as this situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

Really? Come on. Those kind of statements don't help this kind of situation. I do agree with most of what you wrote in your post. Just save the conspiracy theories for another time.

There are too many what ifs at this point. Throwing the CDC under the bus as some kind of deep state arm of the government to mislead people is just a fallacy.

Everyone needs to be proactive and work together as this situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

The CDC is being forced to filter everything through the WH which is inhabited by a man tho thought the flu vaccine might help and is more concerned about managing the effects on the Dow than actually doing anything about the virus. So yes, we do need to be careful about who we listen to.

The CDC is being forced to filter everything through the WH which is inhabited by a man tho thought the flu vaccine might help and is more concerned about managing the effects on the Dow than actually doing anything about the virus. So yes, we do need to be careful about who we listen to.

really???

Then why is on the CDC website??

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html

btw - I agree our fearless leader lacks focus in this emergency. But can't paint an entire govt with such a broad brush.

Latest posts