• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Corvette

I mentioned before that I left my bomber Gstar Corvette on the course in the middle of the fairway and never got it back (inked). I've been using the backup Gstar and it is much more stable. I also have a Pro that is limited to 60% power or it's a throwller.

In hopes of trying a champ, the shop only had Star. There were 6 to pick from and I took the second or third from most dome (normally I'd just pick the most dome). The PLH was on par with the lowest of the 6. I threw it a dozen times on a turf football field in light rain, and it bombs for me. I can go goalpost to goalpost on the diagonal, which is my max. I can almost get a star Wraith there, but the corvettes are are 30' past, given same lines.

This new Star has a big S curve, or requires extra hyzer for the straight shot. It's Less stable than the Gstar I lost, but it will do. My old one had a tight s curve. Basically it went very straight.

Are the ship stamp stars more stiff than stock stars?
How do flights compare

I know, I know. I have great discs.

I bought a new Star Corvette anyways. The premise of the purchase was the idea that they are domey and bomb.

Well, I can confirm. They friggin bomb. Sigh.

For context, I have thrown old Corvettes and loved them. Even threw a 'new' Corvette that had a distinctly different wing (see pic above). I'm telling you, the one I just bought, it's got something. You can tell the wing molding is being worked or something because the shop had about a dozen of them with striations on the wing (think Blizzard plastic) but these are full-weight discs. I bought the one without striations.

No joke, it's a distance device.

For context, I have thrown old Corvettes and loved them. Even threw a 'new' Corvette that had a distinctly different wing (see pic above). I'm telling you, the one I just bought, it's got something. You can tell the wing molding is being worked or something because the shop had about a dozen of them with striations on the wing (think Blizzard plastic) but these are full-weight discs. I bought the one without striations.

No joke, it's a distance device.

Interesting. I've thrown probably 10-12 star Corvettes, starting when they first came out. The early Corvettes seemed fairly flat and beefy. They'd turn a little, but always faded pretty hard late.

Some of the newer Corvettes I've seen have had a little more dome and high speed turn. These are the real bombers.

The mold itself seems to have a little inconsistency. Every once in a while I'll run across a really overstable star Corvette, as well as flippy ones.

G* Corvettes are the longest variation, but regular stars seem to fly a little truer to the numbers (not as flippy).

Interesting. I've thrown probably 10-12 star Corvettes, starting when they first came out. The early Corvettes seemed fairly flat and beefy. They'd turn a little, but always faded pretty hard late.

Some of the newer Corvettes I've seen have had a little more dome and high speed turn. These are the real bombers.

The mold itself seems to have a little inconsistency. Every once in a while I'll run across a really overstable star Corvette, as well as flippy ones.

G* Corvettes are the longest variation, but regular stars seem to fly a little truer to the numbers (not as flippy).

My gut feeling is that G* will get me the best distance of any Innova plastic. Why that is, whether it's related to grip-pressure/release improvements or the shape, I don't know. But it's my favorite non-HW specific plastic (Halo Star should have been called Headwind Star).

We are talking about fractional differences, but perceptible ones.

Yeah, I'd love for you to give this new 'Vette a rip for science if you are interested. I've only thrown it a handful of times, but my internal Bayesian calculator says that it's a legit top tier disc.

My gut feeling is that G* will get me the best distance of any Innova plastic. Why that is, whether it's related to grip-pressure/release improvements or the shape, I don't know. But it's my favorite non-HW specific plastic (Halo Star should have been called Headwind Star).

We are talking about fractional differences, but perceptible ones.

Yeah, I'd love for you to give this new 'Vette a rip for science if you are interested. I've only thrown it a handful of times, but my internal Bayesian calculator says that it's a legit top tier disc.

I just got another 170g G* Corvette recently. Haven't thrown it yet. They are astonishing distance bombers. A little flippier than regular star Corvettes, but all of the glide.

I just got another 170g G* Corvette recently. Haven't thrown it yet. They are astonishing distance bombers. A little flippier than regular star Corvettes, but all of the glide.

At the local or online? I didn't notice any G*. I'm bagging this new star tho. The hardest part is coming to fully understand the subtle wind interaction with a bomber. I know the G* Shryke inside and out in the winds, and I know the Halo Shryke the same way (it comes out when I punt for HW). This disc is in between. I hate guessing.

Killer disc tho, looks like a rabbit with its ass on fire out the hand.

Read about newer Star being less OS, so I ordered one. This newest one is 167 and is even less OS than my GStar. Hope to get more throws I soon to see where it will fit. My first Star will just sit as I do not have the power for it unless it's a really good head wind.

Read about newer Star being less OS, so I ordered one. This newest one is 167 and is even less OS than my GStar. Hope to get more throws I soon to see where it will fit. My first Star will just sit as I do not have the power for it unless it's a really good head wind.

The last star Corvette I threw was fairly flippy, and had a nice dome. 172g. It freaking bombs.

Something like 14, 6, -3, 2. Almost too much high speed turn, but when you get the hyzer release right it's a mesmerizing disc.

Maybe the speculation that newer star Corvettes are more understable is true. Most of the early ones I saw a couple years ago were somewhat beefy.

Is there any speculation as to how the Champion Glow Corvette will throw? More stable? Less? Glidless turd?

Pro Corvette

Tried a pro Corvette for the first time today. 175g.

Disc has a nice dome, and the plastic is fairly soft and grippy.

I've been leery of pro plastic for a long time. I feel the the plastic wears out too quickly and warps randomly. I've tried a pro Tern and Shryke, and didn't really like either of them.

The pro Corvette, however, flies wonderfully. It reminds me a lot of a G* Corvette. Fairly easy turn, superb glide, and massive distance. Fade is late, gradual, and productive. Seriously, everything about the pro Corvette spells max distance. This isn't really a disc I'd use when accuracy is a huge concern, but for simply covering a maximum amount of ground the pro Corvette excels. Top distance was well over 450', and I didn't feel like I had to wrench my shoulder out of the socket to see it.

The pro Corvette flies great in calm conditions or downwind, but won't stand up to headwinds. It worked well thrown flat, hyzer, or even slightly anny and high.

Pro Corvette: 14, 6, -3, 2. This disc has the potential to be anyone's longest driver. The pro Corvette will turn over if you mash it too hard flat or throw it into a headwind. It glides magnificently, and covers distance superbly. The pro Corvette is almost identical in flight to the G* version. Flippier than regular star or champion. Pro plastic still wouldn't be my first choice, but the pro Corvette is still very much worth a look for those wanting extreme, glidey distance.

I'll have to try a Pro. I've been mashing my stars pretty well lately (enough to stock up on them), even in mild HW. Very impressed with this disc. Unless Bohrium turns out to be some miracle disc (not expecting much tbh), this is my new big stick.

I'll continue to throw a Shryke for turnover and tailwind shots when called upon, but the Corvette flies cleaner lines with equal distance.

I'll have to try a Pro. I've been mashing my stars pretty well lately (enough to stock up on them), even in mild HW. Very impressed with this disc. Unless Bohrium turns out to be some miracle disc (not expecting much tbh), this is my new big stick.

I'll continue to throw a Shryke for turnover and tailwind shots when called upon, but the Corvette flies cleaner lines with equal distance.

Agreed. I've thrown Corvettes and Shrykes head to head. Both will go the same distance, but I get that distance far more consistently with the Corvette. The Corvette has less side to side movement, and seems to get where it's going a little faster.

I know it's hard to rate a disc after only throwing one of them, but the pro Corvette I had today was almost magically good. The disc takes power fairly well without getting too flippy, and it absolutely bombs.

[/B]

Agreed. I've thrown Corvettes and Shrykes head to head. Both will go the same distance, but I get that distance far more consistently with the Corvette. The Corvette has less side to side movement, and seems to get where it's going a little faster.

I know it's hard to rate a disc after only throwing one of them, but the pro Corvette I had today was almost magically good. The disc takes power fairly well without getting too flippy, and it absolutely bombs.

Do you have a 'sweet spot' weight? I tend to like 171-172 the most (both discs) on wind-neutral shots. I know that's oddly specific, but curious what you've observed.

Do you have a 'sweet spot' weight? I tend to like 171-172 the most (both discs) on wind-neutral shots. I know that's oddly specific, but curious what you've observed.

I do better with heavier discs, and I don't know why. I never seem to get clean releases with lightweight stuff.

Ideally I prefer high 160s for max distance discs, but I'm not afraid to go max weight either.

Interestingly, I had a 157g. air Bolt in the field yesterday that was just mesmerizing. Once I figured the disc out I got it up around 500' a couple times on high, anny lines.

Honestly, I don't throw really lightweight discs often enough to be very consistent with them.

I bag a 158g champ Firebird. Obviously it isn't used for distance shots, but even that light weight the disc is plenty beefy.

A few days ago I picked up a 167g, 170g, and 174g in Pro. I've been testing alongside my other Star Corvettes (167g-172g) and my GStar Shrykes (all ~172g).

I was happy to finally break 500' on a flat grass shot (slight HW), was a rad/weird flex line. Shryke, but whatevs. Just wanted to celebrate a moment, apologies for the digression.

Distance-wise, I do concur that there's something here. It's hard to put my finger on it, but it's that Calvin Heimburg type laser beam distance. I don't think it's much, but there is something. I am bagging the 168g Pro already. I used it on a 2d shot FH and threw my longest FH ever (almost pin high on a 420').

I don't care much for the 174g Pro.

They are all--the Star and Pro near 170g--among the very best distance drivers I've thrown up here at 5280'.

A few days ago I picked up a 167g, 170g, and 174g in Pro. I've been testing alongside my other Star Corvettes (167g-172g) and my GStar Shrykes (all ~172g).

I was happy to finally break 500' on a flat grass shot (slight HW), was a rad/weird flex line. Shryke, but whatevs. Just wanted to celebrate a moment, apologies for the digression.

Distance-wise, I do concur that there's something here. It's hard to put my finger on it, but it's that Calvin Heimburg type laser beam distance. I don't think it's much, but there is something. I am bagging the 168g Pro already. I used it on a 2d shot FH and threw my longest FH ever (almost pin high on a 420').

I don't care much for the 174g Pro.

They are all--the Star and Pro near 170g--among the very best distance drivers I've thrown up here at 5280'.

500' is a good pull. I might do that once or twice a year. Most of my best distance bombs are high annies. I purposely start the disc high, left, and a little turned over. Done properly it'll turn quite a bit and soar without stalling. I did 450'+ using that method a few weeks ago with a 158g Sockibot star Destroyer. 450' with a Destroyer is a big bomb for me.

Other times I'll go 450'+ with a simple hyzerflip using an understable, fast disc.

Corvettes are legit in any plastic. I do feel like recent Corvettes are flippier and domier than older ones. Some of the first Corvettes I got years ago were beefy, flat, and fairly glideless.

500' is a good pull. I might do that once or twice a year. Most of my best distance bombs are high annies. I purposely start the disc high, left, and a little turned over. Done properly it'll turn quite a bit and soar without stalling. I did 450'+ using that method a few weeks ago with a 158g Sockibot star Destroyer. 450' with a Destroyer is a big bomb for me.

Other times I'll go 450'+ with a simple hyzerflip using an understable, fast disc.

Corvettes are legit in any plastic. I do feel like recent Corvettes are flippier and domier than older ones. Some of the first Corvettes I got years ago were beefy, flat, and fairly glideless.

Distance is weird. I threw ~470' recently with a 168g Sockibot on a high flex line in perfect mild wind (8-10 mph tail left to right), but I've also thrown a TL3 on a hyzerflip golf line 360' that came to rest on a 10' tall hill, probably had 60-80' left, and thrown that same disc 400' on a decently uphill hole.

Corvettes however have been my most consistent max distance hyzerflip disc. I don't bag one because the few holes I might want absolute max distance on I would only reach for it in the right wind, and when the wind is good my flippy wraith(s)/destroyer do just as well.

I'll be throwing one at AM Worlds this year for the distance contest, so I look forward to seeing how that turns out.

Distance is weird. I threw ~470' recently with a 168g Sockibot on a high flex line in perfect mild wind (8-10 mph tail left to right), but I've also thrown a TL3 on a hyzerflip golf line 360' that came to rest on a 10' tall hill, probably had 60-80' left, and thrown that same disc 400' on a decently uphill hole.

Corvettes however have been my most consistent max distance hyzerflip disc. I don't bag one because the few holes I might want absolute max distance on I would only reach for it in the right wind, and when the wind is good my flippy wraith(s)/destroyer do just as well.

I'll be throwing one at AM Worlds this year for the distance contest, so I look forward to seeing how that turns out.

Corvettes are definitely max distance bombers. Pro and G* Corvettes are some of the longest drivers I've ever seen.

I don't bag a Corvette either. Instead, I have a somewhat beat Feldberg champion Boss in the bag that almost acts like a Corvette.

Latest posts