• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course design frustration.

I agree with Mashnut on this but I think Paige has a bit of a self motivated viewpoint on this particular issue. Let me lay out my argument.

It is proven that the top women in this sport do not drive as far, on average, as top men and this shows up in their scores and ratings. Paige has a definite distance advantage on a lot of the open women division so it would be expected for her to be advocating for women to play longer layouts. It plays to her strengths and would give her an edge on the field.

So I would say that this men and women being equal in society is a great movement that I fully support; but empirical evidence suggests that in terms of driving distance and overall scoring ability in disc golf, they are less capable than males. This leads me to conclude that while Paige herself would benefit from increasing the average length of holes played by open women, open women as a group would not benefit from the decrease in ability of holes to score separate and therefore allow the best overall player to win instead of the longest average driver (Paige)

Primo example of this in action is the PGA tour. Ball golf is a great sport where women are at a physical disadvantage like in disc golf. Women are allowed to compete and play on the Tour but women are physically unable to compete at that level of play and consequently extremely few have ever qualified, let alone been in contention to win an event.

Sorry for getting so far off the original topic, but the everybody should play the same layouts as everyone else and are being treated unfairly argument gets trotted out

ahh the Avery syndrome.

Sponsorship exemption right? Didnt actually earn the invitation through play?
I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if she qualified. She did beat almost half the Open field in 2010 including several 1000 rated players, made the finals cut and wasn't far out of cashing. Des also played Open and beat quite a few of the guys and a couple other women.

Val qualified that year. No sponsorship needed. I believe Juliana also played USDGC one year. And perhaps Des Reading as well??

Forgetting for sure.

I am in an area with TONS of courses yet we lack championship level courses and we complain. I would disagree that all newbies would be discouraged playing "harder" courses. Seems like it would make new people realize that it's more serious than they thought and want to try harder.

Val qualified that year. No sponsorship needed. I believe Juliana also played USDGC one year. And perhaps Des Reading as well??

Forgetting for sure.

Pretty sure they used to invite the FPO World champion every year, and each PDGA state coordinator had an invitation to award, some of which went to women over the years.

Not only did Juliana play, but she nearly cashed at one of the early ones (2000, I think). Took down some name men's players in the process, though they were certainly less "name" at the time...Feldberg and Jenkins both, for example (they were names for being full time touring players more so than for being top tier players).

Way back when I started playing, my friends and I would play the longer holes as par 5s or 6s, even though they were par 3s. We only recognized obs or mandos if they were safety issues. As we got better, we played the correct par for holes and followed all rules for mandos and obs.
This worked great for us as we still had fun and were competitive among our group AND vs the course (even though we changed the course pars). Years later, this also worked well for my son when he was young.
Now, we all play intermediate to advanced range and my son out-throws us all by such a wide margin that he could compete with pros if he were as addicted as the rest of us.
To the OP, "fun is what you make it". If you can't adapt to the courses in your area and there are no "fun" short courses nearby, maybe disc golf isn't for you

I'm laughing, but not in the way I think they intended. :|

I haven't read the entire thread, but will respond to the OP. I am a newb. When I am faced with a particularly challenging hole, I just play it to the best of my ability. I do not get frustrated. If it takes me 8 or 9 throws to make a par 5, so be it. Next year I might make par.

As far as obstacles and fences, I ran into that at four courses last week. I laid up or threw very conservatively around the fences and I walked around two holes that threw over water because I knew there would be lost discs involved. In a year or so, I'll probably be throwing over those obstacles, but I am content to lay up until then.

I now sometimes keep track of my score relative to par as I go, but not always. The bottom line for me is that I enjoy walking in the woods and throwing discs. And hanging out with my friends. And meeting new people. I've played with strangers who are overthrowing baskets it takes me two or three shots to reach. We all had fun. I played the long tees on a course with someone who played 5 under. I might have played 30 over or so. We had fun.

I have seen gradual improvement over the last couple of months. I will play the 700' holes and the 8' wide tunnels. I will throw good shots. I will throw bad shots. I will have fun.

Not only did Juliana play, but she nearly cashed at one of the early ones (2000, I think). Took down some name men's players in the process,
Not Near....DID cash. Only Female to ever cash at the USDGC's 2001 Tied for 50th, last cash for $83.00. Tied with one young up start named Nate Doss. Beat some notables such as HOF'er Jim no spin Meyers, Sugar Schick and a few others.

Beat some notables such as HOF'er Jim no spin Meyers, Sugar Schick and a few others.

Um … are you sure you aren't mixing up Brad Schick (63rd) with Al Sugar Schack (tied for 13th)? I've heard Brad called a number of things, but Sugar ain't one of them. :D