• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Designers - Their Top 10 Sites

Cgkdisc

.:Hall of Fame Member:.
Here's a chart of U.S. Course Designers who have listed themselves as designers of at least 10 courses on DGCD. Not a comprehensive list but includes the ones I could think of and discovered. Tim G would need to compile a more comprehensive list. In addition, I'm certain there are more than Tim's list would indicate because many have not yet entered their designer info.

The idea here is that players may want to bag a particular designer's Top 10 Sites like the Robert Trent Jones (course) Trail in ball golf. The list ranked Designers by the rating of their 10th rated course on the assumption that the average rating of their top 10 would also be higher. A Designer got a Multicourse Bonus based on the number of other top-rated courses a traveler could play when visiting some of their sites. If any of the courses in their list were played in Pro Worlds. The number of 9-to-17-hole courses in their list is shown.

Houck dominates the Top 10 ratings as might be expected as the only one listed known to be working (more than) full-time for many years primarily as a designer. The various data elements give an insight into a designer's activities. For example, some designers have primarily worked near home with all of their top courses in one or two states. Some designers primarily focused on public parks with few or no pay-to-play courses. Others were hired to develop pay to play operations including Biscoe hiring himself for Hawk Hollow.

If you are looking to bag a tour with the highest course quality and compact travel footprint, look at Biscoe, Dropcho and Duster's tours. And for technical masochists, the Johnny Sias "woodpecker" tour would be tough to beat.

At the bottom of the list are two up and coming designers, Vicich and Leiviska, who barely made it to 10 courses. They both have several 9s in their lists which is why their 10th rated courses have low ratings. Expect them to move up the list as they get the opportunity to do more 18s.

If I've missed anyone, please let me know. There are veteran designers like Greenwell and Hosfeld that may not have gotten their names listed as designers on some courses. I'm also surprised I didn't find a Michigan designer with at least 10. But when looking at a sampling of Michigan courses, most did not have a designer noted.

Attachments

• Designer Top 10.jpg
    Designer Top 10.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 253
Did you exclude private courses?
No. I just used the default search which includes Private and just added designer names. But a course had to have at least one review/rating to be counted. (You appear to have nine at the moment.) In some cases, I had to try a few different name versions to hopefully find all of their courses such as Duster Hoffman and Don Hoffman.

broken record here but if cale wasnt a pro dg player no one would know his name in the course design world

and if people played his courses without his name behind it they would think its easily forgettable

Eric McCabe has his name on many courses here in Kansas and surrounding states.

If I've missed anyone, please let me know. There are veteran designers like Greenwell and Hosfeld that may not have gotten their names listed as designers on some courses. I'm also surprised I didn't find a Michigan designer with at least 10. But when looking at a sampling of Michigan courses, most did not have a designer noted.

Yeah there's probably some bias in the list toward designers that are active or were active in some way on dgcoursereview being more likely to be credited on this site for their work. Wish the course directory here were easier to query and extract data from.

Yeah there's probably some bias in the list toward designers that are active or were active in some way on dgcoursereview being more likely to be credited on this site for their work. Wish the course directory here were easier to query and extract data from.
The Designer line was added some time later after the base directory was created so many designers may not have known it was there until they added a new course.

I don't know the total number of courses Gregg Hosfeld has designed but right now he has 5 of the top 10 rated by DGCR in Florida.

1. The Green Gauntlet

2. Picnic Island

4. River City Nature Park - Alpha

7. Bill Frederick Park - T2: The Turkeynator

8. Lake Hiawatha Preserve

You fancy doing a worldwide one Chuck :D

Fred Salaz only has 9 but it's an impressive list, including Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge.

You fancy doing a worldwide one Chuck :D
You can do it as easily as I can. Just enter the designer name and search to see how many are listed. Thing is, this site doesn't have extensive international course coverage and I suspect even fewer of those courses have the designer listed. So, I suspect several active international designers won't have at least 10 courses listed. I tried to find old school designer, Seppo Nieminen who did many early courses in Finland, but his name is not listed that I could find.

Latest posts