• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Fundraising

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So I was thinking of adding a fund raising option for courses and thought I'd float the idea here and see what everyone thinks (and how it should work).

My initial idea was that if your club / course is looking to raise funds for pads, new baskets, signs, stuff like that, that having that be prominent on the DGCR page might be helpful. Maybe a box at the top similar to the travel tag map. It would get more national exposure than just your local facebook page and my thinking is that maybe people that have played your course (or just love #growingthesport) notice you're looking for a few bucks for upgrades and would throw in $5-$10 or something. Maybe have a list of the various courses that are fund raising if people would like to spread the wealth.

Someone associated with the course / club could fill out a form which would then go to me for approval. That way not everyone could just add a funding box with their own Paypal address and try to fleece people. The form would have a description, funding goal, the ways to pay (is it mainly paypal and gofundme?) and maybe a time limit (weeks, months?) so the form isn't there for ages. Once the time limit is hit or the funding goal is reached, the box would go away. Whoever added the box would act as an administrator and they'd be able to update the current funding level, remove the box early, etc.

Any thoughts?

don't think its a bad idea but most fundraising stuff on this site gets met with serious trolling and resistance. We are working to raise funds for new baskets and expansion on one of our courses locally so i would take advantage.

If this is done there needs to be a list of items they are doing outside of asking for money. Need to ensure they are not just asking for handouts and are actually working hard toward that goal. Maybe 2 fold type of thing, we are holding monthly minis and 50/50's at league to rasie the funds for ours be able to list that on the box. may be too much info to put in there but just thinking out loud.

If you do this, I think you should make a QR code that people can post at the course that links back to the fundraising page for the site. Anyone using the app will have a mobile phone.

Or, maybe it's something that could be built into the app. "Tip this course" button or something.

Also, it's a great idea. It's not as present as people paying at a course, but it's much harder to break into than a lockbox onsite.

I think this is a great idea. DGCR gets a good amount of traffic; this could really help those who are working hard to improve courses. Bravo, Tim.

You would need to add a disclaimer or waiver of liability of some sort when you click the donate button and before you are forwarded to Paypal. If this were to catch on, eventually you would get some jerk who doesn't like how "his" money is being spent and decides to threaten legal action against you or the site.

It's like course design as it pertains to safety: it's not about the 99/100 players that wouldn't hit the toddlers' playground 150' right of the basket; it's about the 1/100 who will.

Yea, I'd put some sort of liability thing. The paypal or whatever payment method would be supplied by the club, DGCR would just be a venue for them to advertise that they are raising funds for whatever improvement.

There didn't seem to be much interest based on this thread so I kind of shelved it.

Latest posts