• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course recommendations: OH, KY, TN, GA, SC, NC

Nodosaurus

Par Member
My wife and I will be traveling and I will have limited time for disc golf. We will be in western Ohio, north and east Kentucky, east Tennessee and a bit toward central, north Georgia, west North Carolina and South Carolina.

My time will be limited and I'm only able to take 3 discs.

Can you suggest courses that:
* will provide a good experience
* don't take too much time
* a rec player isn't going to lose a disc

Thanks.

I've made some excursions out that way and hope to make some more. Of what I played that I think fits your criteria I would recommend any of Richmond Hill (Asheville), Grand Central (Central), Cherokee (Morristown), and Jackson Park (Hendersonville). All of those are pretty easy to navigate, open enough to keep wayward discs in sight, and receive a good deal of traffic so the rough isn't too bad. Panther Creek is awesome but it's long and rugged. That's the issue with a lot of these great courses, being so mountainous they're time-consuming regardless.

Since you're on DGCR, try using their course locator.

There's a lot of good courses in north Georgia, especially just north of Atlanta, from northwest of the city to northeast of the city. Little Mulberry Park is one recommendtion; Matt Dollar has hosted some tournaments there.

Since you're on DGCR, try using their course locator.

There's a lot of good courses in north Georgia, especially just north of Atlanta, from northwest of the city to northeast of the city. Little Mulberry Park is one recommendtion; Matt Dollar has hosted some tournaments there.

I'm familiar with the course tracker and use it. I'm looking for more subjective values.

I would also add a fourth requirement. Not too rough/hilly as I'm dealing with some arthritis.

For TN, you talking about coming up I-75 (Knoxville) or further East like Morristown or way East like Kingsport?

Up 1-75 between Chattanooga and Knoxville- Athens and Loudon (a short course) are decent plays
For rec level in Morristown- Kiwanis (shorter wooded) or Cherokee (longer, less trees). Haven't played Rotary yet.
For Kingsport/Johnson City- Winged Deer is fun, up in Bristol is a good 9-holer Steele Creek.

Timmons Park in Greenville, SC, is a very fun, short course. The creeks are shallow and crystal clear so, unless you play after a storm, you shouldn't lose anything. It plays very fast, and is only a few miles from the interstate.

I'm familiar with the course tracker and use it. I'm looking for more subjective values.

I would also add a fourth requirement. Not too rough/hilly as I'm dealing with some arthritis.

Gotcha.

Lenora Park in Gwinnett County, GA might be good for what you're asking for. Wide open (hard to lose discs, I don't think I've ever lost a disc there), very gentle elevation changes but mostly flat. Good for getting out dere and gripping it and ripping it.

Western Ohio provides quite a range. SW OH? NW OH? What specific cities are you driving through? What courses are you looking at? What courses have you played that describe what you're looking for on this road trip?

Last edited:
I've made some excursions out that way and hope to make some more. Of what I played that I think fits your criteria I would recommend any of Richmond Hill (Asheville), Grand Central (Central), Cherokee (Morristown), and Jackson Park (Hendersonville). All of those are pretty easy to navigate, open enough to keep wayward discs in sight, and receive a good deal of traffic so the rough isn't too bad. Panther Creek is awesome but it's long and rugged. That's the issue with a lot of these great courses, being so mountainous they're time-consuming regardless.

Richmond Hills is a gem of a mostly par 3 course.
Brother Dave is dead on about Cherokee and Panther. Without the ropes up, Panther is tougher than Idle Wild. Panther is second only to Harmon Hill for tough as hell but loads of fun.

For TN, you talking about coming up I-75 (Knoxville) or further East like Morristown or way East like Kingsport?

Up 1-75 between Chattanooga and Knoxville- Athens and Loudon (a short course) are decent plays
For rec level in Morristown- Kiwanis (shorter wooded) or Cherokee (longer, less trees). Haven't played Rotary yet.
For Kingsport/Johnson City- Winged Deer is fun, up in Bristol is a good 9-holer Steele Creek.

Morristown native here. Kiwanis can be played with 1 disc in 45 minutes and still be lots of fun. I normally do 3 discs rounds there anyway.
Rotary yellows are borderline, as there are some tight fairways . Blues will take one into the shule, would not advise with your criteria.

Last edited:
. .. I'm only able to take 3 discs.

? What does that mean? Are you traveling by small dog? Unicycle?

3 discs? You can buy more than that before you finish reading this obnoxious post. I took 5 discs to South Africa via a carry on.

"Lose a disc"?? Buy another one.

Odd -- am I getting trolled and if I am what's the purpose? 3 discs -- an infant can wander around the living room with 3 discs . . . sheesh. I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Lincoln Ridge Park in Nky is about as much fun factor as a course can get for a rec players without getting overly difficult. Only a couple truly hard holes on a 24 hole course. Lost of chances for 2s. A couple fun downhill shots and a 500ft open downhill bomber to finish(just make sure you don't shank it left into the pond). There are a couple places to lose a disc here, but it usually requires a bad shot or unlucky kick. You can skip 22 and 23 to eliminate one of the pond shots and shave a bit of time off your round. You can also skip 14-17(takes one of the downhill shots away though) which is a gnarly area with a ravine that is rather dangerous when muddy and has some thick undergrowth in the summer that can eat discs...

Not too hilly but you're asking for course recommendations in the Appalachian/Smoky Mountain area of eastern TN, western NC, and upstate SC?

As for not losing a disc, even the 9 hole pitch-n-putts along I-75 in the Knoxville area have some lost disc potential with thick rough areas.

eastern KY sadly doesn't have much but there's a fine 9'er at Miller Park in Corbin that now has 2 baskets per hole but it has one giant hill to climb

I think based on your criteria, I'd check out this 9'er in NKY not far from I75: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9901 There are a few mound holes that I think everyone has to experience!

If going through Asheville, I agree that Richmond Hill should be avoided if you don't want to hike up and down steep ravines. Brevard College down the way is fun and much more manageable (plus you'll get to see the white squirrels frolicking about).

Western Ohio provides quite a range. SW OH? NW OH? What specific cities are you driving through? What courses are you looking at? What courses have you played that describe what you're looking for on this road trip?

Near Cininatti.

I'm mostly looking for a good experience.

My frequented & favorite courses include:
Pier Park, Portland, Oregon
Leverich Park, Vancouver Oregon
Portland Lunchtime DGC, Portland, Oregon
Herbert Hoover, Newberg, Oregon

These all have some small hills that don't present a problem for me, they tend to be shorter, play in under an hour when not crowded.

Probably a good time to offer a VIP (DGCR Premier Membership) plug, the Road Trip feature comes in handy for these types of trips. For $20 a year you can become a VIP member and have access to a lot of nice features with "Road Trip" being one of my favorites.

--> https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/payments.php

Plug in start and finish addresses and map out your route. Then select criteria for courses and how many miles you want to venture from your route. Map will populate with all courses along your route that fit the criteria. Then you can add them to your trip route and update directions. Easy to use and makes for some fun planning of road trips and disc golfing.

Latest posts