• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Reconstruction

nursekatie

Was wondering if anyone has any great input on how to approach businesses when it comes to sponsorship of teepads, signage, baskets, etc.. This is also something that will be taking place over an extended amount of time and that won't happen in a lump, i.e. not all the teepads, baskets or signs will be placed on the same date. Anyone?

My club in Cobb County, GA, is working on a similar project, but I'm not the chief fundraiser, so I'm not really sure how to do the schmoozing. We are, however, planning to install permanent credits on the teepad signs for our donors, as well as on the yellow bands of the new baskets we're going to install. I think it's important to offer a fairly permanent, long-lasting advertisement, at least in the form of "this hole sponsored by XYZ Corp." if you can. Otherwise it's mostly a charity donation.

12StonesScott (not sure if that's his handle on these forums) may have some good advice from his experience in the Roswell DGC of North Fulton County, GA. They've done some good fundraising work with their community. If this thread interests people, I'll see if I can give more details about how my club is doing it. Of course we're still in the fundraising process, so it's hard yet to report much of how it "went."

I'd recommend avoiding e-mail until you establish interest with a specific business...it's still viewed as an informal means of communication. A well-written letter detailing what is required for sponsorship would be a good start, but make sure to include a brief description of WHAT disc golf is and how a course will benefit the community, since chances are most places you contact won't have a clue what you're talking about. Offer to meet the business owner face to face, and have some printed materials about the history of disc golf, a map of courses in the area (what I did was print 2 maps--one from about 10 years prior and a current one--to detail just how fast the sport grew in that previous decade). Don't promise them a huge surge in business from the disc golf community, but chances are if the business is interested they'll settle for having a prominent, colorful ad on the tee sign of the hole they sponsored.

Once word gets around in the community, YOU may be the one getting calls from other interested businesses and organizations that you hadn't even considered! This was the case with us; we're in a small community where "everyone knows everyone" (I'm now officially the "disc golf guru" in my community, a moniker I humbly accept only because my neighbors refuse to NOT call me that!), and as people started hearing about this course in progress, we were getting calls saying, "Hey, can I sponsor a hole?" We actually had to turn people down because there were no more sponsorships available! Come up with an EXACT amount for sponsorship...you don't want to quote them a certain price, only to find out later that each hole will cost more than what you expected, and then you're stuck going back to them and telling them it'll cost more, or just taking what you quoted them on and paying the rest out of your (or the club's) funds.

Good luck!

as people started hearing about this course in progress, we were getting calls saying, "Hey, can I sponsor a hole?" We actually had to turn people down because there were no more sponsorships available!

What an enviable problem to have! :clap:

This is what the Chico Outsiders are offering to renovate the Bidwell Park course:
Adopt-A-Hole - $100 annually: Adopt a hole for a year and help maintain it and clean it. Your name will be listed on the parking lot kiosk for as long as you adopt the hole(s).

Hole Sponsor - $500 one time: Hole sponsors will also be listed on the kiosk at the site for a period of up to 3 years.

Project Sponsor - $2,000 one time: Project sponsors will be listed permanently on the kiosk.

MY ADVICE:
Offer permanent sponsorship and put the sponsor's name on the sign at each hole. The Outsiders are trying to sell sponsorship at different levels, but the sponsor name isn't even on the hole, just temporarily on a kiosk. Who reads that anyways?

Some disc golfers are business owners too. I am a graphic artist and printer, and I am donating graphic design for signage in exchange for my sponsorship of a hole at Lava Creek Golf Course. Is there a local concrete contractor that likes to play?

And target businesses that would benefit from an advertisement on the course. Something a disc golfer might see and actually spend money on.

I hear Wal-Mart and Target are real big on projects like these. Target even has a bulletin board with all their contributions to the community posted for all to see. Maybe try approaching them.

You rang?

No magic to it. I wasn't really the primary person out beating the bushes, and cold-call selling has never been something I enjoy or am good at, but that's essentially what it takes.

First, figure out and document exactly what someone's getting for their sponsorship dollars. For anything more than about $100, it should be something permanent. If it's connected to a course improvement, it should be displayed as close as possible to the improvement, if not actually a part of it.

Put together a potential sponsor package that includes a description of the project(s) that the funds are intended to help with, a rationale for why the project(s) are needed and are a priority right now, whatever information you have on the usage/popularity of the course (i.e., how many people can be expected to see the acknowledgment of their sponsorship and for how long), a description or even better a sample of how their sponsorship acknowledgment will appear, and a brief agreement describing the financial and other terms of the sponsorship -- how long the acknowledgment will remain in place, any special stipulations about location (hole number, not on the same hole as a competitor, etc.). Also cover details about who is responsible for production costs and provide information on requirements for materials like graphics, logos, etc. (sizing, file format, color constraints, etc.).

Present your proposal in a professional and businesslike manner, so that potential sponsors have all the information they need to make an informed business decision and so that they have confidence that they're turning over their hard-earned funds to people who have a certain level of competence and responsibility and are taking that responsibility seriously. Unfortunately, there's still a certain set of stereotypes associated with disc golf, so do everything you can to reassure them that their money won't be disappearing the next time 4:20 rolls around.

If you're doing tee signs or other types of signage, have a sample of the sign made if possible in the materials, etc., that will be used for their sign. Have a picture (even if it's a composite done in Photoshop) of what the sign will look like in place on the course. If you have the time and energy, go so far as to do a custom mockup or photoillustration of what their actual sign would look like in place (be careful on this with large, very brand-conscious organizations like national consumer-goods and restaurant companies -- they can be very jealous of unauthorized use of their brand names, trade marks, service marks, and "trade dress" -- i.e., the visual look-and-feel of their products and marketing materials -- but this should be an issue with smaller, local companies). If making samples isn't feasible, get samples of the general type and size of signage you plan to produce, where possible. The more tangible you can make it, the more likely they are to respond positively. Obviously, for printed materials like a scorecard, caddy book, course map, etc., it should be relatively easy to produce and distribute samples with your proposal.

As a final thought, if at all possible plan to produce some version of the acknowledgment item and give it to the sponsor along with a letter of thanks. We didn't do this, but in the future we'll be producing a duplicate of the tee signs (since they have to be produced two at a time anyway it doesn't significantly increase the costs) and mounting it in a manner suitable for display in their place of business; we probably won't do it in the case of individual donors/sponsors, since there is a cost involved, but having something for a business to put on the wall reminds them and their customers every day that they're supporters, and also serves as a cheap way of getting the word out to other potential business sponsors. If whatever you're doing is too large/expensive/whatever, then produce something inexpensive suitable for display.

Our local parks and rec department does not allow any sort of permanent advertising banners or signs to be mounted to any permanent park feature or structure. They do allow sponsorships of particular groups or leagues for the duration of a season, however, so sponsors typically produce large silk-screened banners that can be readily taken down, stored, and reused. However, for our tee signs, they regarded those as being an acknowledgment that the construction of the concrete tee pads and tee signs was made possible by the contributions of the sponsoring companies, and so allowed them. Policies will differ in different jurisdictions, so just make sure you understand clearly what the constraints in your situation are, and that the relevant authorities know and approve of your plans.

Once you have the sponsorship proposal package ready, it's time to go sell. But to whom? Obviously, part of the answer is to start with people/businesses that have some connection to the disc golf community. Have everyone involved hit up their employers, spouses employers, etc. if feasible. Any retail stores that sell discs and/or accessories are also obvious targets. Next on the list should be businesses in the vicinity of the course that could reasonably be expected to draw customers from among those playing the course -- bars and restaurants (again, make sure there aren't any issues with local policy on advertising alcohol, tobacco products, etc., and that you understand those constraints before you pitch those businesses), convenience stores, grocery stores, drug stores, etc.

If there's any upcoming event or occasion that you can use to promote a sense of urgency, do it. In our case, I doubt we'd have sold 9 sponsorships in our initial push (just enough to do one set of tee pads of our three sets) if we had not had a National Tour event coming up roughly six months after we started the effort -- indeed, the reaction of tour players to the crushed stone pads at the previous year's event made it clear we needed to address that if we wanted the area's first NT event in many years to be a success).

Do everything exactly right and you'll only fail most of the time. We've approached every business we can think of nearby, and some farther away. Of the 18 holes on the course, we have sponsors for 11 now. We sold 9 in our original push between fall 2008 and spring 2009, and have only sold 2 more since then. Of those, 5 were purchased by individuals or families (non-businesses), 4 by businesses that had some personal connection to the disc golf community (in each case, disc golfers as the business owner or senior management, including one disc golf-related business), and only two that had no personal connection -- a Mexican restaurant across the street from the course, and our local PGA Tour Superstore, which recently started selling disc golf gear and has been very financially supportive of disc golf so far. It just takes asking a huge number of businesses to get a very small number of "yes" answers, and unfortunately none of us has the time to devote to it in order to get to those yeses.

I'd recommend avoiding e-mail until you establish interest with a specific business...it's still viewed as an informal means of communication. A well-written letter detailing what is required for sponsorship would be a good start, but make sure to include a brief description of WHAT disc golf is and how a course will benefit the community, since chances are most places you contact won't have a clue what you're talking about. Offer to meet the business owner face to face, and have some printed materials about the history of disc golf, a map of courses in the area (what I did was print 2 maps--one from about 10 years prior and a current one--to detail just how fast the sport grew in that previous decade). Don't promise them a huge surge in business from the disc golf community, but chances are if the business is interested they'll settle for having a prominent, colorful ad on the tee sign of the hole they sponsored.

Once word gets around in the community, YOU may be the one getting calls from other interested businesses and organizations that you hadn't even considered! This was the case with us; we're in a small community where "everyone knows everyone" (I'm now officially the "disc golf guru" in my community, a moniker I humbly accept only because my neighbors refuse to NOT call me that!), and as people started hearing about this course in progress, we were getting calls saying, "Hey, can I sponsor a hole?" We actually had to turn people down because there were no more sponsorships available! Come up with an EXACT amount for sponsorship...you don't want to quote them a certain price, only to find out later that each hole will cost more than what you expected, and then you're stuck going back to them and telling them it'll cost more, or just taking what you quoted them on and paying the rest out of your (or the club's) funds.

Good luck!

This pretty much exactly. Same thing here..

What we are doing on our kiosk with large map, is adding in sponsor plaques as well...for businesses that didn't get a "hole" (and some were upset about this) we are putting them on the board with an engraved plaque for 100 bucks. We also are doing this for our many "in kind" sponsors.

This pretty much exactly. Same thing here..

What we are doing on our kiosk with large map, is adding in sponsor plaques as well...for businesses that didn't get a "hole" (and some were upset about this) we are putting them on the board with an engraved plaque for 100 bucks. We also are doing this for our many "in kind" sponsors.

Yeah, when we ran out of holes and people were still interested, we managed to get a local construction company to donate a bunch of lumber for our info kiosk/course map, as well as a few more donations, so some nice metal signs were installed on either side of the kiosk denoting those sponsors.

Hopefully if we make the expansion to 27 holes and/or dual tees, those folks we had to turn away previously will still be interested!

12StonesScott, thanks for all your advice on this topic. I really don't have much to add. I think the hole sponsors are a good idea. I have seen a few course like this and you step up to the hole and there is a great teesign with the sponsors name on them. Good recognition for the sponsor. I think keeping the price reasonable for a sponsor, say $100 or so, it should be easy to get 18 sponsors to sign up that way.

Thanks everyone for your great Feedback, especially 12StonesScott.. I hope that this may help the process go smoother so that I may not feel so overwhelmed when it comes down to the actual process.

Also, it may not have been specifically mentioned before, but what the business is doing by giving you cash is BUYING ADVERTISING, not MAKING A DONATION. At least for the big bucks donors (over $100 say). Be sure to choose your wording carefully and differentiate between the two when you speak.

What about some logistics concerning handling the money? Are you set up as a charitable orgainzation per the IRS? That can open up additional possibilities like large corporate sponsorships, and even matching funds for your donations. At the very least, you should apply for a Tax ID Number (TIN) which is like a SSN, but for businesses. Once the club has a TIN, you can open an account in the club name and ensure all transanctions are through that club account. Because we all know personal volunteer effort makes us so closely wrapped up in the "club", that we need a way to keep things separated when it comes to big brother and money. Anyway, my intent isn't conspiracy theorist related, just more to say that if you are more well established as a organization / business entity, it makes it easier for businesses to sponsor and donate.

Here is a link to our club advertising if you're interested. It is a cover letter outlining what we are asking for, what we've done, etc. Then we discuss the various levels of sponsorship available and what they buy. And I also attach a copy of a sample tee sign, tee advertisment, and course map. I carry with me a large pack of local news clippings about disc golf, instructional material, and demographic info from the PDGA.
Winter Park Sponsorship

Hopefully if we make the expansion to 27 holes and/or dual tees, those folks we had to turn away previously will still be interested!

This is also our thoughts..I plan on putting in another 9 for sure as there are some fantastic wooded areas yet to be developed...and I know we will get the sponsors very quickly as the word is spreading about the course very nicely.

Here is the afformentioned East Roswell Park tee sponsor signs:
d0e02319.jpg

Another idea, especially if you already have some amenities would be to do the tee sign PLUS offer a mid or low level sponsorship for all tournaments at that course for a year or some period of time that way the business would get onto fliers, programs etc and that extra exposure might help. I always try to put my sponsors all over my printed material for tournaments.

We actually are in the process of applying to become a non-profit organization, so yes it is a charitable donation as well as advertising, I guess in a way you can look at it as free advertisement for an extended amount of time.

I've been doing advertising sales for a long time and sell sponsors every year for a tournament I run. Your best bet is to compile all the information you need on one-sheet. Have something extra if you need to give them something else to inform them more about the sport.

I believe you always give a potential advertiser three choices. Not only should they receive credit on a basket, tee sign and/or the sign at the beginning of the course but offer to give them and ad and link on your courses website or club's website. They'll be seen by more eyes and actually see traffic to their website because of the links.

I can send you some sales flyers I use for Sponsorship of tournament if you need them.

Also - approach restaurants first where players meet after league or monthly tournaments. Those businesses are seeing money from players and will likely give back.

We actually are in the process of applying to become a non-profit organization, so yes it is a charitable donation as well as advertising, I guess in a way you can look at it as free advertisement for an extended amount of time.

I am not a lawyer, accountant, trained tax preparer, or any other sort of person qualified to comment on this topic, but . . . make sure you clearly understand what's tax-deductible and what's not. First, simply being a "non-profit" organization doesn't make donations to the organization tax-deductible. For that to be the case, it has to meet IRS criteria for certain categories of 501(c) organizations, and in most cases a local disc golf club is not going to meet the criteria for classification as a tax-deductible charity. It may be classified as a "tax-exempt non-profit" under 501(c)(7). In the case of our local club, we don't have 501(c)(3) (tax-deductible) status ourselves, but we are affiliated with the local "Friends of the Roswell Parks" organization, which does. This allows tax-deductible donations to be made to the Friends organization that are earmarked for the disc golf club, and they in turn distribute the contributions to us.

The other factor to consider is that any money received for which goods or services are provided in exchange is not a donation, and the value of the goods/services must be subtracted from the amount that's considered tax-deductible. For example, our synagogue provides a detailed tax statement every year that shows all the money we've paid in dues, contributions, fees for programs, etc., and what portion of that is tax-deductible, based on the value received in exchange. My understanding is that generally, an acknowledgment of a donation (the sponsor's name on a tee sign, or in a tournament program, etc.) doesn't constitute "goods or services", but if you provide a thank-you gift for their donation (like the coffee mugs, tote bags, or t-shirts you get with your pledge to your local PBS or NPR station), the value of that is subtracted from the tax-deductible amount.

You'd want to verify with an accountant or attorney who specializes in the area of non-profits whether what you end up doing still qualifies for tax-deductible status.

Latest posts