• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Shaming?

not sure if it's technically allowed but people do go in, it's not deep at all, but it is grey water (29-acre 100 million gallon effluent lake) so a lot of people avoid it, including myself. grey water is household wastewater, except for toilet water, but it is still funky.

Sounds like a great addition to any disc golf course.

Not to veer too far off subject, but I have some friends that went and played Fountain Hills this last year, and thought it was pretty boring.

Yeah it makes no sense to me.

Does OP rate courses bad bc the leaves fall from trees and cover fairways too?

Well its not safe.

You have to be pretty dumb to freeze to death playing dg but ive seen people hit with heat stroke and its scary stuff.

Does a course that has very few trees but can be played year round, get a higher rating than you would normally give?

No, if anything I might grade it lower as I am grading the course not the weather of the state it happens to be in. A wide open course is not as fun to me as a well designed and technical course regardless of the weather. If playing year round in great weather was so important to me I would live in a much warmer state.

Does a course that's not playable year round/Snow get a lower rating than you would normally give?

No, if I am planning a trip to play a nice course I will take weather into account when deciding on when to visit. But the course itself doesn't get worse simply because of cold weather. I personally don't mind the cold as it keeps the casuals and mosquitoes away.

Do you grade down a Private course because it may not be open to play without a reservation?

Do you grade down a course because it closes at dusk and you really enjoy playing Glow golf?

Also, as was earlier stated, I couldn't imagine playing AZ courses in July when it's 105º outside. That, to me, is unbearable.
Having been to Vegas in the middle of August twice, I'd rather play a course in Arizona when its 105º outside, than play one here. The heat isn't the problem, its the humidity.

Well its not safe.
Some might argue the same thing about playing when its -10º outside.

Please explain why any course isn't playable year round, outside of baskets being pulled?

Maple Hill is listed as permanent but it closes for Christmas tree season. I don't know if that should be weighed into the review or not. I play there every year but I go when it's open and I think it's the best course I've ever played.

Locally I play Camp Sankanac. It's listed as seasonal. You can't play on Saturday or in the summer because it's on a church camp property. It's one of my favorite local courses. Should that be considered for a review?

I think you rate a course honestly on all its pro's and cons... keeping in mind it doesnt look always how you play it...ie playing a course winter vs summer...thoroughly detail why you rated how you did in your review, then be open to comments and critique on your review or updating if changes (good or bad) are made. Then it doesnt matter how you review, you have done it fairly with reason and logic.

Maple Hill is listed as permanent but it closes for Christmas tree season. I don't know if that should be weighed into the review or not. I play there every year but I go when it's open and I think it's the best course I've ever played.

Locally I play Camp Sankanac. It's listed as seasonal. You can't play on Saturday or in the summer because it's on a church camp property. It's one of my favorite local courses. Should that be considered for a review?

Yeah, but you know that beforehand. I get where you're going with it, though.

Personally, I wouldn't downgrade a course because of availability. If you don't do the due diligence, and show up when a course isn't open, that's on you (IMHO). And trust me, I've done it.

Last edited:
I think you rate a course honestly on all its pro's and cons... keeping in mind it doesnt look always how you play it...ie playing a course winter vs summer...thoroughly detail why you rated how you did in your review, then be open to comments and critique on your review or updating if changes (good or bad) are made. Then it doesnt matter how you review, you have done it fairly with reason and logic.

Yes. And sometimes overlooked, in threads like this, is the fact that people might include features in their review that didn't affect the rating they gave.

Just because someone mentions the great scenery or terrible mosquitos, doesn't mean they based their ratings on them. Perhaps they're just passing along information that might be of interest to some readers.

Regional bias is a real thing, and some people like to inflict that bias on their reviews. Same with general opinions on what makes a good course.

Examples: In a multi-use park and plays near areas that might interfere with DG? Worst course ever. Heavily wooded? Poke and hope terrible. Or the only way to play DG. No trees? Worst course ever.

The glut of reviews that sparked this thread are pretty biased, un-helpful, and just poor reviews, based on one person's opinions. Nohing to get upset about. If it makes OP feel any better, that reviewer comes off as a bitter old man and course nazi who clearly has a biased agenda. Guessing he's from Wisconsin, judging by his courses played. Wiscahnsin and Meenahsoda seem to generate a higher number of DG elitists than other areas. But again, who cares?

Pretty sure many AZ people rip vista. I remeber hammer talking **** about it and he can bomb a drive.

A crap course is a crap course. Its more about experiencing different styles which we are very lucky in MN /WI to have a good mix. 800 downhill throws to tightly wooded and uphill wide open. Sandy rocky dirt to lakes streams rolling hills prairies. All kinds of weather.

Pretty good places to see it all except a true mountain but we can make do there.

Also OP why dont you update your own reviews if you are so concerned with others? You have old review of a course which is now flooded and not even close to the same thing.

I dont even see a recent review in the past years?! :wall:

I doubt that most reviewers factor weather into their rating, but there isn't really a "wrong" way to review a course. Less than helpful, maybe, but what one reviewer considers immaterial may be a central focus for someone else. The more details in a review, the better. Bit most would consider it silly if typical seasonal change impacted a course's overall rating.

Isn't this what the "Course Condition" field is for?

I don't really write reviews, but sure use them a bunch.

- But that's my opinion, and in the end a review is just that, a glorified opinion.

I normally seek out a reviewer whose opinion matches mine on common courses. Usually ensure we are "talking the same language".

When I am planning a discventure, I look at the reviews and ratings to help me figure out where to go. I want the reviews to be about the course design, maintenance, equipment, and to a lesser degree amenities.

However since the course rating is an average of all ratings, if a few people give the ratings a boost because it is open all year and don't detract for less than excellent design, those rating will balance out with the majority that rate the course for whst it is instead of when its open.

We each have our own take on what make a good course. If reviewing, you should use your criteria. It should make sense, be fair and back up with reasoning. As a reader, it is my job to take your opinion into consideration.

If you include the factors that matter to you in your review, then I can read it and decide whether your review is applicable to my tastes---or perhaps, someone else's review is.

Right on. :thmbup:

Course ratings are going to be regionally skewed no matter what you do. Even locally, I can tell the difference between regional ratings from WI to northern IL, where there isn't the same quality of courses due to flat terrain in IL.

Would I find Selah as great as some reviews.....as a tree covered Midwest golfer...probably not.

Yes. And sometimes overlooked, in threads like this, is the fact that people might include features in their review that didn't affect the rating they gave.

Just because someone mentions the great scenery or terrible mosquitos, doesn't mean they based their ratings on them. Perhaps they're just passing along information that might be of interest to some readers.

But that information could be very important to me. I golf with my wife, and a bathroom or porta potty is a huge concern. Is it for many....likely not. I am not sure it should impact the rating, but as said above, that evens out.

There have been reviews that used weather to lower ratings (too much rain, too hot - no shade, etc) but I have never known a rating to be improved because of the weather.
Still, as others have said, you rate a course based on your own criteria.
As long as you explain your ratings and they are justified by your written observations, most people won't object.

Regional bias is a real thing, and some people like to inflict that bias on their reviews. Same with general opinions on what makes a good course.

Guessing he's from Wisconsin, judging by his courses played. Wiscahnsin and Meenahsoda seem to generate a higher number of DG elitists than other areas. But again, who cares?

Come play the courses in those two states. They're pretty solid.

Pretty sure many AZ people rip vista. I remeber hammer talking **** about it and he can bomb a drive.

A crap course is a crap course. Its more about experiencing different styles which we are very lucky in MN /WI to have a good mix. 800 downhill throws to tightly wooded and uphill wide open. Sandy rocky dirt to lakes streams rolling hills prairies. All kinds of weather.

Pretty good places to see it all except a true mountain but we can make do there.

Very true, especially since both states are pretty large.

Winter Park isn't a true mountain course, but it'll wear your ass out.

Oh I have to post this gem. I normally don't look at reviews too much but this caught my eye.

"2. Discs could get stuck in the very large mature trees"

Someone actually put this as a con. This is a why I don't look at reviews much.

My main question is a east coast vs west coast and how that affects your rating. Specifically when it comes to times of the year.
My only 5 is flip city. Should it be a half disc lower due to the fact that its not playable for a few months (or at least not ideal, I have played flip with snow). Knowing that every year it will snow at Flip, should that be a con?

are you trying to create "East Coast" vs. "West Coast" Beef? :)

Yup.

Also, as was earlier stated, I couldn't imagine playing AZ courses in July when it's 105º outside. That, to me, is unbearable.

Heck at least it's a dry heat.:confused:

Here in NC we get a string of 100+ degree days most summers and that usually comes with 95% humidity. We still play, just have to bring more water and less beer.:thmbdown: