• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Shaming?

Emoney

* Ace Member *
So a few recent reviews of AZ courses and the time of year had me thinking and wondering if I should change my rating strategy. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have no issues with how they review. Just curious what others think about this.

A couple questions.

Does a course that has very few trees but can be played year round, get a higher rating than you would normally give?

Does a course that's not playable year round/Snow get a lower rating than you would normally give?

Basically I was wondering if I am in the minority with these thoughts. I lived in Indiana most of my life and 4 years ago moved to AZ. If I compare the courses back home to these I feel I am not doing them justice.

Example:

(I am by no means saying Fountain Hills is a 5, but how many points does it get for possibly being the best disc golf "Arena" we have to showcase our sport. Very viewer friendly, water hazards on most holes, beautiful scenery/ mountains surrounding it, Great tee pads and signage, and playable year round.)

(I am by no means saying Fountain Hills is a 5, but how many points does it get for possibly being the best disc golf "Arena" we have to showcase our sport. Very viewer friendly, water hazards on most holes, beautiful scenery/ mountains surrounding it, Great tee pads and signage, and playable year round.)

- Does a viewer friendly course play any differently than one that isn't viewer friendly?
- Are water hazards on most holes a good thing if you lose a lot of discs and the water in question is a wastewater retention pond that often smells funny?
- Does the course play any different if the beautiful scenery/mountains were instead say this, or this?
If a somewhat more challenging, but perhaps less scenic, less viewer friendly course went up in the Phoenix area and the Memorial decided to use it as a venue, would people hold Fountain Hills in such high regard?

Just some things to consider. I personally think a lot of reviewers on here overbloat ratings for things that are the facade features of a course and not its guts. But that's my opinion, and in the end a review is just that, a glorified opinion.

A couple questions.

Does a course that has very few trees but can be played year round, get a higher rating than you would normally give?

Does a course that's not playable year round/Snow get a lower rating than you would normally give?

I don't think year round playability should factor into the course rating. For a rating/review to be helpful, it should be based on the course not when you can play it. It is helpful to note in a review if the park closes for the season.

When I am planning a discventure, I look at the reviews and ratings to help me figure out where to go. I want the reviews to be about the course design, maintenance, equipment, and to a lesser degree amenities.

However since the course rating is an average of all ratings, if a few people give the ratings a boost because it is open all year and don't detract for less than excellent design, those rating will balance out with the majority that rate the course for whst it is instead of when its open.

Please explain why any course isn't playable year round, outside of baskets being pulled?

There's no set rubric on how to review a course, and every reviewer will look at it through a different set of eyes.

I think what's really important is to keep in mind who your audience is. In most cases, I think reviews are written for the potential first-time visitor or passing traveler. Does year-round playability really matter to that person? Does a travelling player really care to read about factors such as weather conditions that apply to all courses in the area? If I'm going to Arizona for a winter disc golf trip to escape northern snow, I don't need a review to tell me that this particular course is snow free in February.

[
However since the course rating is an average of all ratings, if a few people give the ratings a boost because it is open all year and don't detract for less than excellent design, those rating will balance out with the majority that rate the course for whst it is instead of when its open.

Pretty much this.

Rate it honestly based on the factors that matter to you.

Others will do the same, and the ratings will average out.

If you include the factors that matter to you in your review, then I can read it and decide whether your review is applicable to my tastes---or perhaps, someone else's review is.

Oh I have to post this gem. I normally don't look at reviews too much but this caught my eye.

"2. Discs could get stuck in the very large mature trees"

Someone actually put this as a con. This is a why I don't look at reviews much.

My main question is a east coast vs west coast and how that affects your rating. Specifically when it comes to times of the year.
My only 5 is flip city. Should it be a half disc lower due to the fact that its not playable for a few months (or at least not ideal, I have played flip with snow). Knowing that every year it will snow at Flip, should that be a con?

You, or anyone else, can review courses on any criteria you please.

But no, year round playability does not factor into my review ratings. Because that is based purely on the climate of the area, something not under the courses control. Sure it's a nice bonus for anyone that lives there, but thats it. Plus "year round playability"will vary from person to person, unless the baskets get pulled for part of the year.

And I've never played it but fountain hills looks crappy to me. There are many other much better "showcase" courses that get played during the tour year

My only 5 is flip city. Should it be a half disc lower due to the fact that its not playable for a few months (or at least not ideal, I have played flip with snow). Knowing that every year it will snow at Flip, should that be a con?

Flip City is its own entity. I gave it a 4.5, but not because it's closed in the winter...mine was because one set of concrete tees/one pin placement.

I play all winter, through snow or whatever, so I guess it never occurred to me to dock a course rating because of it. To me, unless baskets are pulled, a course is playable year round.

Is the hole info correct on dgcr for Fountain Hills? No holes over 500' and only 4 holes over 400', yet the most recent reviewer is complaining the course is too long. That makes no sense at all, something doesn't add up.

This looks like an awesome park, next time I'm in the Phoenix area I will check it out for sure. Can you retrieve discs that go into the water or is it too deep or mucky near the shoreline?

Flip City is its own entity. I gave it a 4.5, but not because it's closed in the winter...mine was because one set of concrete tees/one pin placement.

I play all winter, through snow or whatever, so I guess it never occurred to me to dock a course rating because of it. To me, unless baskets are pulled, a course is playable year round.

I get it, u play in the snow. Im just curious how ppl that go on vacation rate courses. If it was your first flip visit and it had a foot of snow how would you rate it? Then if you went for a second visit to flip in mid summer, would you change your rating?

What is this thread about?

Just a question about how courses are evaluated in diff parts of the U.S.
Places like southern AZ will never have a heavily wooded course, but we have year round summer. So visitors rate the courses lower because of the lack of trees but don't rate higher due to the beautiful weather.

Just wondering why? glad u stopped by with your contribution and knowledge:thmbup:

I get it, u play in the snow. Im just curious how ppl that go on vacation rate courses. If it was your first flip visit and it had a foot of snow how would you rate it? Then if you went for a second visit to flip in mid summer, would you change your rating?
Can any course be lauded or blamed for the weather on any particular day? I say if you face adverse conditions, well, s**t happens, and you don't do a review as things beyond any human control didn't let you get the full experience.

But, that's just me.

Places like southern AZ will never have a heavily wooded course, but we have year round summer. So visitors rate the courses lower because of the lack of trees but don't rate higher due to the beautiful weather.

Just wondering why? glad u stopped by with your contribution and knowledge:thmbup:

Year round summer is necessarily a good thing. I could make the argument that Arizona courses are unplayable due to heat for the majority of the year. Especially if they have few trees to offer relief from the sun.

The fact is, every region has it's own unique weather conditions that may affect one's enjoyment of the courses in the area. But those are all regional characteristics that don't vary from course-to-course.

Well weather isnt a factor i consider in reviewing courses.. At all. I asked bc your OP and other posts dont even make sense as to what should be discussed.

MN is considered a top DG destination and its winter here for months. With crap conditions inbetween.

I went to CA and played a few xmas ago... It didnt make the courses better its just nicer in CA in dec vs MN lol?

The courses in CA actually sucked all things considered...
Even golden gate park isnt some super exciting disc golf.

Once you've played enough courses, you can get a good feel for a place whether it's the middle of summer, or the middle of winter. A great course is a great course, regardless of what color the ground is.

I do tend to NOT review courses I play in the winter only if the tees aren't in good playing condition, though (if that's deemed necessary).

Course ratings are going to be regionally skewed no matter what you do. Even locally, I can tell the difference between regional ratings from WI to northern IL, where there isn't the same quality of courses due to flat terrain in IL.

... Fountain Hills? Can you retrieve discs that go into the water or is it too deep or mucky near the shoreline?

not sure if it's technically allowed but people do go in, it's not deep at all, but it is grey water (29-acre 100 million gallon effluent lake) so a lot of people avoid it, including myself. grey water is household wastewater, except for toilet water, but it is still funky.

IMHO, all courses listed as 'Permanent' and not 'Seasonal' or 'Temporary' are/should be considered playable all year round. If (and only if) a course is literally 'unplayable' due to pulled baskets, massive renovation, or owner/park choice, I hope folks are flagging it as such under 'course conditions' (pet peeve: folks flagging a muddy or snowy course as 'unplayable' are doing so in error...in many cases, conditions might be bad, but playable for the hardy).

All this is covered on the course's front page, though the reviewer may mention those details in the text of the review. Usually they're a 'con', so they might pull the rating down a little.

Now, there are even more striking and important regional differences in listed terrain and foliage factors. Believe me, there are Texas courses listed as hilly or wooded that a West Virginian would really laugh about!

But the bottom line really comes down to this: are there regional variations in ratings? You bet. Best way to help those average out? Travel, play more courses, and write more quality reviews! :thmbup:

Latest posts