• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Shaming?

Not to veer too far off subject, but I have some friends that went and played Fountain Hills this last year, and thought it was pretty boring.

again this just shows differences in opinions as I thought it was a great course... lots of risk reward with water all over the course, elevation changes and people around. Awesome place to play. Maybe your friends had the wrong 300 foot fountain disc golf course. :D

Lester Lorch DGC, TX
1f26b16e.jpg

Looks like Texas has it all, including roaches big enough to eat small dogs ;)

I always try to overlook things like snow or mud or wind as variable conditions. If I come back and play the course a week/month/year later it will be different. Actually most of the courses I haven't reviewed are for those reasons. Mostly due to snow/mud.

Questions for the OP:

If a course that's playable year round and utterly sucks as a course, does to deverve a lower rating for being horrible year round?

Ok, but seriously I have a question for AZ players. Do/would you rate a course lower that is prone to be flooded or placed in the pathway of heavy water run off? I know it's a seasonal thing, but it hits some courses pretty hard reguardless.

I'd rather courses be rated as they are when they're open, in their best condition or at least in a condition they are much of the time.

If I'm traveling somewhere, I'd rather get initially excited about a 4-star course, only to find out that I won't get to play it, than to skip a 3-star course, only to find out it was 4-star caliber while I was there.

Are rattlesnakes & scorpions a concern when playing courses in the south west? Those and high tick concentrations are definitely worth noting.

These fall into the category of mosquitoes for me:
Worth noting, but you can mitigate the risks and they shouldn't affect the course rating unless it's a very severe situation on a regular basis.

How about a list of every type of shot possible?

Sloppy writing on my part. Perhaps a better way to say it would have been to say a good course has diverse types of holes. Even if you had 18 tight technical holes each one well designed, IMO it's still not a good course. Within reason, fairways that trend both right and left, long holes that favor long drives. Short technical holes that require accuracy. Two part holes that require the player have a strategy to set up for the second drive. And again, holes that can't be beat by a throw other than what the designer specified. I understand that not every type of throw ever used can be created in a single course, but I also understand that a course that only has one or two feature types or is dominated by one type of play, is not a good course, no matter what the scores or setting. A good course IMO would have at least four major hole types, and each would be represented on the course in one hole where any player would think it was an exemplary hole.

Looks like Texas has it all, including roaches big enough to eat small dogs ;)

In twenty years of playing in Texas, I've seen snakes maybe ten times, and only three of those were poisonous. I worry more about the crazy guys with guns than snakes. Snakes will avoid you.

Sloppy writing on my part. Perhaps a better way to say it would have been to say a good course has diverse types of holes. Even if you had 18 tight technical holes each one well designed, IMO it's still not a good course. Within reason, fairways that trend both right and left, long holes that favor long drives. Short technical holes that require accuracy. Two part holes that require the player have a strategy to set up for the second drive. And again, holes that can't be beat by a throw other than what the designer specified. I understand that not every type of throw ever used can be created in a single course, but I also understand that a course that only has one or two feature types or is dominated by one type of play, is not a good course, no matter what the scores or setting. A good course IMO would have at least four major hole types, and each would be represented on the course in one hole where any player would think it was an exemplary hole.

Would you like to see one hole per course that requires a roller to score well?