• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses between KC and Tulsa

cydisc

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm on a DG excursion in March, traveling from Iowa to meet up with some buddies in Texas. I'm driving and will be breaking up the southbound leg into a couple of days. I'm always looking to add to my "courses played" list, so this is an opportunity to do that.

I'm meeting part of the group at The Lodge in Pawhuska, OK, so that's already on the itinerary. I've already played every course in Kansas City, so I'm looking for two courses on the way from KC to the Tulsa area. It doesn't matter what route I take as long as it makes logistical sense.

That would depend on the route you are taking. If you are taking S 71 from Kansas City to I-44 and then into Tulsa I can't give you any recommendations.

If you take I-35 S from Kansas City and get off on 75 S or come through Emporia I can offer up a few possible courses.

A. Don't skimp on time at the lodge for anything else.
B. Can't go wrong in Emporia, nothing that blew me away, but good solid fun courses (despite the amount of snow there might have been). Stop in and say hi at DD
C. The couple courses near Parsons KS and Bartlesville were worth checking out, but none that stand out as must plays.
D. Eisenhower - Meh, was not impressed, flat and open with baskets hiding behind trees.
E. There's a handful out there I haven't played.

I'd skip Eisenhower. Ok for a local, but for a traveler, not so much.

Pomona Lake - Wolf creek is ok. Some long holes, tall grass as OB.

Best bet is Emporia. Jones East & West are good. I personally like Peter Pan a lot.

Gunn Park is one I'm seriously considering. Seems to be more interesting than most of the Kansas-flat courses around that area. I've played in Emporia, so I'm skipping those this time around.

Otherwise, I found this one that's somewhat off-route, but would be do-able with an extra day of travel:
Branson Cedars Resort I actually played ball golf here when it was a ball golf course. Anyone played DG there?

Yeah, it's a fun course. Some nice elevation shots, decent water shots, mostly big open line shaping, a bomber course with a few technical holes thrown in for good measure, not quite as incredible as the hype makes it sound, but a very good course. And the turf greens are an experience in themselves. It's worth pairing up with HCR and North Arkansas College, if you can work those 3 in your route, I'd suggest it over any of the other discussion.

McClelland Park in Joplin, MO isn't a bad play.

Lake Bella Vista in Bentonville, AR isn't bad either, although when I was there last, the rubber tees were kind of rotting away. There's also a new course in Rogers, AR with a lot of water shots that looks fun.

Haven't seen it since they upgraded it up 18 holes, but Idle Hour Lakes near Altamont, KS might be worth a look if you're traveling near it. The original nine was kind of bland. I wouldn't go severely out of the way for it.

Latest posts